Can I add 4x4 auto to my Ram?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
really now ?? U SURE u know the diff ????

Limited slips are ****. E locker is the only way to go next to a torson a close secound and air third. Clutches fail..........

You seem to know everything so why don't you post a link to an E-locker for a late model 9.25 ZF diff. You should actually see if what you're suggesting is even an option.Find us this E-locker that'll bolt into the OP's 2017 diff

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
really now ?? U SURE u know the diff ????

Limited slips are ****. E locker is the only way to go next to a torson a close secound and air third. Clutches fail..........

Yes I know the difference.

I’ve run detroits, G80s, mini-spools, lunchbox lockers, and clutch based limited slips.

For on road winter use, in my opinion, clutch or helical based limited slips offer the most stable handling.

Real off road needs a locker.

But clearly you are just here to argue.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

I’ve run detroits, G80s, mini-spools, lunchbox lockers, and clutch based limited slips.

For on road winter use, in my opinion, clutch or helical based limited slips offer the most stable handling.

At times he is a bit comical,lol. He seems to think none of us have ever driven in snow,even the guys who live in Canada,i guess we all must move south for the winter,lol

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Some of you guys are living in the stone ages (80's). Hate to break it to you, today's 1500's are NOT trucks, they are SUV's with an open bed. That means my wife and kids might be in it, or my mother or whoever, and telling them to flip 4 hi / 2wd as needed is the funniest thing I read all month. Not going to happen.

I have 4 auto and it works slick, exactly as designed. I have gone through one winter in Southern Ontario with that greasy slimy snow that comes from melting snow on top of ice on top of slush etc. I have never had my truck lose control in Auto. It doesn't slip either, it's locked in so tight I feel it's like I'm running on 4 high. So whatever experience you may have had with an auto system in the past, in my truck (5th gen) this thing rocks. No doubt you can push the truck too fast even for auto and wind up in the ditch, but that doesn't take away that it's very effective when you drive responsibly. ABS isn't designed to slow you down quicker, just straighter; same thing there, people moaned about it until they realized and understood how to use it, there is no way anyone sane wants to turn that off for 99% of daily use.

Yes I drive like a sane person, but the truck still functions 10 times better in auto, than it does in 2 WD. And yes I grew up on a RWD 80's station wagon with bald tires and a v8.

Stop critizing the Auto. It works. It's not designed to function like a power wagon would off road, it's designed to help people who use their trucks like an SUV (95% of people these days) get through life safely.

You may not want it, you may not need it; great, but it doesn't mean the vast majority wouldn't benefit from it, because they do. When driving for the road conditions, it's an awesome feature.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some of you guys are living in the stone ages (80's). Hate to break it to you, today's 1500's are NOT trucks, they are SUV's with an open bed. That means my wife and kids might be in it, or my mother or whoever, and telling them to flip 4 hi / 2wd as needed is the funniest thing I read all month. Not going to happen.

I have 4 auto and it works slick, exactly as designed. I have gone through one winter in Southern Ontario with that greasy slimy snow that comes from melting snow on top of ice on top of slush etc. I have never had my truck lose control in Auto. It doesn't slip either, it's locked in so tight I feel it's like I'm running on 4 high. So whatever experience you may have had with an auto system in the past, in my truck (5th gen) this thing rocks. No doubt you can push the truck too fast even for auto and wind up in the ditch, but that doesn't take away that it's very effective when you drive responsibly. ABS isn't designed to slow you down quicker, just straighter; same thing there, people moaned about it until they realized and understood how to use it, there is no way anyone sane wants to turn that off for 99% of daily use.

Yes I drive like a sane person, but the truck still functions 10 times better in auto, than it does in 2 WD. And yes I grew up on a RWD 80's station wagon with bald tires and a v8.

Stop critizing the Auto. It works. It's not designed to function like a power wagon would off road, it's designed to help people who use their trucks like an SUV (95% of people these days) get through life safely.

You may not want it, you may not need it; great, but it doesn't mean the vast majority wouldn't benefit from it, because they do. When driving for the road conditions, it's an awesome feature.
We are discussing the 4th gen 44-44 T case. Not sure how the 5th gen auto T case is programmed as far as actuality locking in 4WD or how fast it reacts to loss of rear wheel traction. The 4th get auto T case Never actuality locks into 4WD no matter what setting you have it in until it detects loss of traction and in some trucks the operation is sporadic ar best. They may have corrected it in the 5th trucks but It's a known problem with the 4th gen trucks not actually locking into 4WD until you are already in trouble. People aren't going through the expense of replacing them with the 44-45 manual T case and developing harnesses to actually lock it in 4WD because there isn't a problem with the system. Some 4th gen auto 4WD trucks do seem to work better than others but there are tons of documented cases and videos showing how problematic they can be. Just because people are saying the system doesn’t work well in their truck Doesn't mean they don’t know how the drive in ice or snow. I can see if it were just a few instances if people complaining about them but it isn’t just a few.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Flame Red Rebel

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Rebel
Engine
Hemi Hybrid

I’ve run detroits, G80s, mini-spools, lunchbox lockers, and clutch based limited slips. (was TALKING about street, not mud or trail)

Gave my life to this country, not gonna surger coat nothing and say it as it is. U have to prove your point when my mind is already made up.

That's the point is to hash it out, U say my many, many years of driving ALL over the world my opinion does not matter or what I have seen for years and years.

POINT is U don't know me so don't label or judge me.

I push folks to use common sense since MOST do not have any..................

U said:

helical based limited slip, yes the best. BUT still new tech and not many have it from the factory

Clutches suck, need to be rebuilt and un-reliable.

From years plus of owning them in U name it.

The clue I left out is ROAD crown, no two roads are the same for water shed.

When I drive the Bronco road crown makes it crab to the ditch, mid U factory crap clutch style.

now how wife and I drive:

To work, on call never miss a day. So we have to figure what works for us. Living in EXTREME weather states teach u real quick when U have to work no matter what.

Lived in a town where only MAIN road in or out was plowed, U where on your own to get to it !!! Was nuts, drove a TBSS with summer tires with no issues there ! Truck was low enough to plow its way Thru..........

Enough babel, only two beers in................

Flame Red Rebel

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Rebel
Engine
Hemi Hybrid
We are discussing the 4th gen 44-44 T case. Not sure how the 5th gen auto T case is programmed as far as actuality locking in 4WD or how fast it reacts to loss of rear wheel traction. The 4th get auto T case Never actuality locks into 4WD no matter what setting you have it in until it detects loss of traction and in some trucks the operation is sporadic ar best.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

All my HATE for that T case was FROM montana, SORRY.

Freeway is 80 MPH, owned 13 ram with auto T case. SO U can go 80+ when it Icey out WAY to easy................

The WHOLE time U could NEVER, EVER tell when it Icey out due the the GREAT job the plows did.

THE powder snow would blow across the road and become ice.

HENCE we drove in 2 wd cause it was not slick till the truck slipped THEN used 4X4 to get out of that slick spot and slow down.

Now how did come so opined on that t case ??

No way to know it slick till to late. maybe our fat heavy Longhorn had low power and great tires to spin all fours on ice. Stopping was impossible no matter the tires on it.........................

Not the first Montana person to say we drive in 2wd in the winter...............

BTW, I test non stop, drive the WIFE nuts........................

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gave my life to this country, not gonna surger coat nothing and say it as it is. U have to prove your point when my mind is already made up.

That's the point is to hash it out, U say my many, many years of driving ALL over the world my opinion does not matter or what I have seen for years and years.

POINT is U don't know me so don't label or judge me.

I push folks to use common sense since MOST do not have any..................

U said:

helical based limited slip, yes the best. BUT still new tech and not many have it from the factory

Clutches suck, need to be rebuilt and un-reliable.

From years plus of owning them in U name it.

The clue I left out is ROAD crown, no two roads are the same for water shed.

When I drive the Bronco road crown makes it crab to the ditch, mid U factory crap clutch style.

now how wife and I drive:

To work, on call never miss a day. So we have to figure what works for us. Living in EXTREME weather states teach u real quick when U have to work no matter what.

Lived in a town where only MAIN road in or out was plowed, U where on your own to get to it !!! Was nuts, drove a TBSS with summer tires with no issues there ! Truck was low enough to plow its way Thru..........

Enough babel, only two beers in................

Sorry dude, I don’t even know how to respond to that, or how you misinterpreted my statement, and tried to edit my quote.

I honestly can’t follow your train of thought.

Thanks for your service, that I respect.

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Been looking back through this and want to clarify something. Is the only complaint about the 44-44 in relation to how it works in 4Auto or does the design of the unit also create less than desirable results in 4Lock and/or 4Low?

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Been looking back through this and want to clarify something. Is the only complaint about the 44-44 in relation to how it works in 4Auto or does the design of the unit also create less than desirable results in 4Lock and/or 4Low?
From what I have seen the clutches also cause issue in 4 hi and 4 low

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
In all modes there is not much different about it's behavior in any of the drive modes.