Can I adjust the shift points on my a500/42rh Trans?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SleeperD150

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2/318
When my engine was hooked up to a manual transmission I was doing 0-60 in about 5.8 seconds. I now have a 4-speed auto that has a lot more top end but only does 0-60 in about 7.5 seconds. There are some other things that could be slowing it down because when I removed my trans and my u-joints were so stiff that I had to use a pry bar to move them and I think my brakes are dragging a little too. But back to the point of this post, I am rebuilding the trans and installing a higher stall torque converter, and putting a shift kit in it so I might as well tune the shift points if I can while it's out. Since in the manual trans I could get it up to about 5000-5500rpm before shifting to get the most power. So I'm wondering if anyone knows the stock shift point of this transmission when putting it to the floor and if it's lower than 5000rpms is there any way to tune the shift points. Thanks!

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
my understanding is most shift kits for the a500 will let your trans hold a gear longer with higher shift pressures. having said that, a non modified a500 with bands adjusted properly, you can adjust the TV. I got rid of my linkage rods and went with a Lokar cable, so much easier. important part with this is make sure the throttle cable pull and the TV cable pull are a 1:1 ratio. then you can adjust in or out one turn at a time till you get the shift points close to where you want them.

overall, I don't think these old inefficient trans will ever be as quick as your manual set up if you're an efficient stick shifter.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
When my engine was hooked up to a manual transmission I was doing 0-60 in about 5.8 seconds. I now have a 4-speed auto that has a lot more top end but only does 0-60 in about 7.5 seconds. There are some other things that could be slowing it down because when I removed my trans and my u-joints were so stiff that I had to use a pry bar to move them and I think my brakes are dragging a little too. But back to the point of this post, I am rebuilding the trans and installing a higher stall torque converter, and putting a shift kit in it so I might as well tune the shift points if I can while it's out. Since in the manual trans I could get it up to about 5000-5500rpm before shifting to get the most power. So I'm wondering if anyone knows the stock shift point of this transmission when putting it to the floor and if it's lower than 5000rpms is there any way to tune the shift points. Thanks!
Well, sir, you can adjust the shift points of the A-500 by adjusting the position of the TV Cable or Throttle Valve Cable at the throttle body assuming you are using a throttle body.

If you look at the throttle body there should be two cables attached to it. One is the cable that is connected to the accelerator pedal. The other is the TV Cable. The long the pull on the TV Cable the higher the shift points will be. There are several videos available to learn how to adjust the TV Cable.

Also, make sure the front band/kickdown band is properly adjusted as well. Break the jam nut loose on the kickdown band and turn the inner screw in until you feel it get snug. Then, back it out 2½ turns and tighten the jam nut. That will help make sure that your shift points are happening at the correct time and with the least amount of slippage possible between shifts. 0996b43f8023132d.gif

This is a general photo of the Mopar front band adjustment so it's pretty easy to find.