Can I tow this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Mickster

Mickster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You should have no issues pulling that trailer. I have a similar setup that you have. I run a Curt TruTrack 10k WDH, I use Timber Grove Enterprise ASAMs (air assist springs). I run Nitto Terra Grappler G2's XL's, 116 load index for tires. (OEM Goodyears are 114 load index) XL tires are supposed to have a stronger side wall. I would look at something like these if you hate the Goodyears: https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/general-grabber-hts60

With the air springs, I run 7psi in them when normal driving, I run about 14psi in the air springs when the trailer is hooked up with the WDH. 14psi is enough to stabilize everything when towing my TT.

The WDH I use:
https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution/Curt/C17500.html?msclkid=7c90d01ec7ba1942eedc8e3b0ecf3bd5&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Bing | Search - Weight Distribution - SKU&utm_term=+curt +17500&utm_content=Curt 17500

The Timber Grove ASAMs I have installed: They didn't have the stainless steel when I purchased though:
https://timbergroveenterprises.com/shop/09-18-ram-1500-stainless-rear-asam-sq5186767

Thanks for the tire recommendation. I do hate these Goodyear's. There are probably better versions of this brand but the factory installed tires are not so good imo. I have had the bed loaded down and if feels like the tires can't hold the truck just going around small curves at an appropriate speed. Add rain to the mix and it's even worse.
Also I'm glad to hear you have a similar trailer. First hand experience is always better than opinions. I'll look at all of the parts you linked when I get home from work. Thank you for all the info

OP
OP
Mickster

Mickster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I pull 28' long Freedom express 246RKS with mine..600# or so when towing. pulls pretty good. I set cruise on 68-69 and I get 8.5-10.5. I have WDH and i run more air in the rear tires when towing and I added hellwig sway bar . my trailer has 4 wheel electric brakes so stopping has been no problem. I do get some sway when hit by cross wind gust..my son added airbags to his 2017 ram so I may also do that. pretty easy to do.

View attachment 192442

Thanks for the first hand experience info. I had actually looked at a TT just like yours before I got the offer to buy the one from my Brother-in-law. I figured as long as I stay at a safe speed, I should be ok. Would you recommend a certain trailer brake controller or will the factory Ram one be ok?

OP
OP
Mickster

Mickster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Would y'all recommend an aftermarket trailer brake controller? Or is the factory installed one good? I like the idea of the info showing up on my info thingy with the factory one.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Factory one is perfect, it will do everything you need. the airbags that frame mount are much better, but may be overkill for your application. Just depends on what you want to do.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Would y'all recommend an aftermarket trailer brake controller? Or is the factory installed one good? I like the idea of the info showing up on my info thingy with the factory one.

The factory trailer brake is perfect for these trucks. No need for aftermarket.

Side note for the Timber Grove ASAMs or even the Air Lift axle to frame air assist springs, I think they are great for towing for stabilizing the truck and trailer. The nice thing as well, you described having the truck loaded down and the tires feeling like they're not holding the road, changing the tires and installing one of the axle to frame air assist springs it can help keep the truck from sagging & poor handling. My neighbor asked me to help him get mulch.

He has a 2017 Ram Night edition RCSB. He loaded half in his truck and I loaded half in mine. 25 bags of mulch at 40lbs a piece (1000lbs) Squatted the truck pretty good. Air'd up my ASAMs to 25psi and got it riding level again, and it felt stable.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
^^^ what he said
The frame to axle bags are much more heavy duty and don't need to be fully inflated before loading the truck. Lots of people use the bag inside of the coils with good results.
The ITBM integrates a lot more than any aftermarket controller can. You can save trailer settings and it will track how many miles you've towed the trailer. It also uses both braking force along with vehicle speed to determine trailer braking. It also has electric trailer away control.

geotex1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
@Mickster, don't know where you're from, but if you're anywhere near eastern PA, Jersey, Maryland area, I've got the perfect WDH setup for that TT for sale at a bargain price compared to new! I'll even help you set with the initial setup as I do have decades of experience towing trailers of every variety! Upgraded the TT camper to a 5er converted with a Goosebox. In fact, my car hauler, dump, and tilt trailer are also gooseneck. It's the only way I tow now, but I also have plenty of truck with a 4th Gen 3500 DRW Cummns/AISIN/4.10 long bed.

OP
OP
Mickster

Mickster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you everyone for the info. I know now I definitely couldn't have done this on my own. I'm very glad I decided to join this forum.
So I will mainly be towing this trailer as the only recurring heavy load. I do haul heavy from time to time but mostly light stuff like kayaks or a lawnmower. I think the in the springs air bags would probably be good enough for me but I'll still do more research before I pull the trigger on them. I'm definitely upgrading my tires asap and I'll also look into the upgraded springs. I'm not sure what brand WDH my brother-in-law has but I'm pretty sure it will come with the trailer.(they're getting out of TT camping) but I'll let y'all know when I find out. I didn't realize the factory TB controller did all that. I'll definitely go with that one. I feel very good about this trailer and my abilities to tow it properly. I can't thank y'all enough.

OP
OP
Mickster

Mickster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@Mickster, don't know where you're from, but if you're anywhere near eastern PA, Jersey, Maryland area, I've got the perfect WDH setup for that TT for sale at a bargain price compared to new! I'll even help you set with the initial setup as I do have decades of experience towing trailers of every variety! Upgraded the TT camper to a 5er converted with a Goosebox. In fact, my car hauler, dump, and tilt trailer are also gooseneck. It's the only way I tow now, but I also have plenty of truck with a 4th Gen 3500 DRW Cummns/AISIN/4.10 long bed.
Sorry but I'm in North Carolina. Thanks for the offer though

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry but I'm in North Carolina. Thanks for the offer though

Don’t forget about the trailer tires. Trailer tires only last about 2yrs. 3 tops. The tread doesn’t wear out, it’s usually the age of them that causes the blow outs. Also having the trailer sitting for months at a time isn’t good.
I use a Blue Ox Weight Distributing Hitch. I highly recommend it. I’ve never had any sway when towing with my 1500 and my 8500lbs trailer with a overall length of just under 30’ FYI...Some hitches need to be discounted when backing up. What’s nice about the Blue Ox is you can buy lighter or heavy bars without replacing the entire setup. I personally use the 1500lb bars because my tongue weight is about 1,000lbs.
Consider buying E rated tires when getting new tires on your truck.
My airbags are the Firestone RideRite. I like them. Wouldn’t want to tow a trailer with a Ram 1500 without airbags because the rear coils are so soft. Buying airbags lets you keep the smooth ride when not towing. Me personally, I have no interest in getting stiffer rear coils. Stock springs with good quality shocks and airbags works great for me.

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here’s my setup. Tongue weight of 1,000lbs. I probably have 15psi in the airbags I have a small about of squat in the rear. Less than 1 inch. But this set rides good, and like I mentioned before, I have yet to experience any sway.

E39E6B30-B5D9-40A8-A7A0-C8E417021587.jpeg

OP
OP
Mickster

Mickster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don’t forget about the trailer tires. Trailer tires only last about 2yrs. 3 tops. The tread doesn’t wear out, it’s usually the age of them that causes the blow outs. Also having the trailer sitting for months at a time isn’t good.
I use a Blue Ox Weight Distributing Hitch. I highly recommend it. I’ve never had any sway when towing with my 1500 and my 8500lbs trailer with a overall length of just under 30’ FYI...Some hitches need to be discounted when backing up. What’s nice about the Blue Ox is you can buy lighter or heavy bars without replacing the entire setup. I personally use the 1500lb bars because my tongue weight is about 1,000lbs.
Consider buying E rated tires when getting new tires on your truck.
My airbags are the Firestone RideRite. I like them. Wouldn’t want to tow a trailer with a Ram 1500 without airbags because the rear coils are so soft. Buying airbags lets you keep the smooth ride when not towing. Me personally, I have no interest in getting stiffer rear coils. Stock springs with good quality shocks and airbags works great for me.
I didn't know that about the trailer tires. I'll definitely check that out. I'll ask when I pick it up if they have been replaced or not.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I didn't know that about the trailer tires. I'll definitely check that out. I'll ask when I pick it up if they have been replaced or not.

I replaced all of my tires on the travel trailer. Didn't know how old they were and they were showing some signs of weather checking. Went with Carlisle tires. I wanted the D rated tires, but I was only able to get he C rated tires. At least they have a higher speed rating (81 MPH)

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Don't forget, when installing the factory trailer brake module you will need the dealer to flash the computer for it to work.

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
Don't forget, when installing the factory trailer brake module you will need the dealer to flash the computer for it to work.
for the price of the adapter and software you can do it your self for almost same price. :D

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I’m 98% sure he already has it

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

OP
OP
Mickster

Mickster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m 98% sure he already has it

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40
Correct. I already have the factory controller, I just need it flashed to work. The local Dodge dealer will do it at employee cost for me since I work at a local non competitive dealer. So it should be around $65.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
No worries. This is all helping tremendously. I had some ideas of what I was going to look for but you have basically laid it all out for me! So should I do the airbags first and if I'm still not happy, add the springs? Does the springs make the unloaded ride harsh?
And thank you for all of this information.

I did the Springs, first. Reasoning being physical hardware upgrade is always better than a help this hardware I got work better patch.(Air Bags).

If the upgraded physical hardware (springs) still needs help, then add the air bags.
SPrings are proably cheaper upgrade too. If going solely with air bags, then make sure you get a air compressor and run seperate lines to each bag so the air cannot flow from one bag, to the other, as weight is shifted in turns and such. that setup could actually increases way and make the ride much less stable. Not to mention, if air line, to both airbags and any leak occurs, there goes both bags.

regarding tuftruck springs, call them, describe what you normally do with the truck, descibe what you want to do with the truck and let them suggest a set of springs, for you and your needs.

That is what I did and I love mine.
They are truly very nice and helpful folks.

again, i went with 1211 (Levelled with Bilsteins shocks) with my topper, I kept about an inch of rake. those 1223 are designed for trucks under a constant load, like heavy tools or camper type topper, so they tend to be stiffer.

the 1223V for variable is essentially the same as the 1223 or the 1211 but the top endof the spring is OEM in how the truck handles and rides, unloaded. as weight is added, they sitffen up.

if this is your first truck OR if you psotively like the carlike Caddilac ride of this truck, then the 1223V is probably for you. If you have always had 3/4 ton trucks, then the 1221 or, if you want little more rear hieght, the 1223 is for you.

Keep in mind, simply changing the tires is going to alter your ride. andchanging the tires is pretty much a mist do thing. the stock goodyears were chosen for their super duper low rolling resistance. Essentially, they weighnothing, take zero fule to get moving and zero fuel to keep moving.

When you replace themwith a tire that canhandlethe weight you will pulling and prevent that weight from completely and totaally dictating to the truck how that truck will handle with the weight,then the tire is more substantial , than stock junk years, and truck ride will suffer. stiffer sidewalls alone will alter your rides "feel" but alsoimprove things liek cornering, weight carrying, etc.

hope thism akes sense. my thinking is far outpacing y two finger typing ability.

OP
OP
Mickster

Mickster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did the Springs, first. Reasoning being physical hardware upgrade is always better than a help this hardware I got work better patch.(Air Bags).

If the upgraded physical hardware (springs) still needs help, then add the air bags.
SPrings are proably cheaper upgrade too. If going solely with air bags, then make sure you get a air compressor and run seperate lines to each bag so the air cannot flow from one bag, to the other, as weight is shifted in turns and such. that setup could actually increases way and make the ride much less stable. Not to mention, if air line, to both airbags and any leak occurs, there goes both bags.

regarding tuftruck springs, call them, describe what you normally do with the truck, descibe what you want to do with the truck and let them suggest a set of springs, for you and your needs.

again, i went with 1211 (Levelled with Bilsteins shocks) with my topper, I kept about an inch of rake. those 1223 are designed for trucks under a constant load, like heavy tools or camper type topper, so they tend to be stiffer.

the 1223V for variable is essentially the same as the 1223 or the 1211 but the top endof the spring is OEM in how the truck handles and rides, unloaded. as weight is added, they sitffen up.

if this is your first truck OR if you psotively like the carlike Caddilac ride of this truck, then the 1223V is probably for you. If you have always had 3/4 ton trucks, then the 1221 or, if you want little more rear hieght, the 1223 is for you.

Keep in mind, simply changing the tires is going to alter your ride. andchanging the tires is pretty much a mist do thing. the stock goodyears were chosen for their super duper low rolling resistance. Essentially, they weighnothing, take zero fule to get moving and zero fuel to keep moving.

When you replace themwith a tire that canhandlethe weight you will pulling and prevent that weight from completely and totaally dictating to the truck how that truck will handle with the weight,then the tire is more substantial , than stock junk years, and truck ride will suffer. stiffer sidewalls alone will alter your rides "feel" but alsoimprove things liek cornering, weight carrying, etc.

hope thism akes sense. my thinking is far outpacing y two finger typing ability.
It make sense. I'll look into the springs further and see if that will work for me. I hadn't thought of the air being forced from bag to bag. I'm sure it's probably a very real possibility in the cheapest setups. I have owned a lot of trucks in the 1500 size and one F250 V10. The worst riding was my 85 Chevy haha but they all rode like trucks. I do like the way my current truck rides I just don't like the tires on it. They suck and that's the best I can say about them. I know the effects higher load range tires will have and I welcome the change. My last truck had BFGs E rated tires on it and I lived them except wet traction when I would take off. They would spin easily.
But thank you for all this info and taking your time to type it all out. I will look deeper into the springs before I make any decisions.

alexcomp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Some of this quote shows the need to run through and clean up Voice recognition word salad. I also use and try to proofread before posting but sometimes I forget. Just saying...