Tow capacity 11208, what size camper can I tow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Creditcardguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 etorque
2023 Laramie 1500 with 3.92 gears. 4WD. VIN says max towing is 11208, 80% of that is right at 9000. If I get a travel trailer with dry weight of 7000 pounds and add 1000 pounds of stuff, will I have a pleasant towing experience or a white knuckle nightmare?? My first truck, I don’t to make a mistake. Thanks in advance.

IMG_7755.jpeg

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Boy, you just started some ****, you know that? ;)... A while back someone posted an Excel file that would help you with the calculations. I'm actually Camping now, so I don't have access to it. If nobody leads you to it before the weekend I'll sent it to you. There really is no quick and dirty answer.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If I get a travel trailer with dry weight of 7000 pounds and add 1000 pounds of stuff, will I have a pleasant towing experience or a white knuckle nightmare??
Once you go over a 7K lbs (actual weight) with a trail behind a 1500, you really have to watch how all the weight is distributed amongst the truck and trailer. Yes it is possible to push upwards and into the 8K lbs territory but your not going to just throw everything wherever you feel like.
The biggest factor is how well the WDH is tuned into the weight. You'll need to have the truck and trailer fully loaded for camping then goto a CAT scale to weigh the combo. You'll weight both with the WDH attached then drop the trailer and weigh just the truck. That will give you all the numbers to determine tongue weight percentage and how the WDH hitch is adjusted. You want 10-12% tongue weight, return the lost weight back to the front axle of the truck and the rear axle should be heavier than the front.
If the RV place states your truck can pull the trailer and they'll set up your WDH for you, they're liars and you'll be white knuckle driving.
Also speed is another factor in towing a trailer, the math behind towing at 65 mph. At 65 your covering a football field in 3 seconds. Anything that happens that far in front of you gives you about a second to realize what's happening, about a second to decide what to do and the third second to make it happen. Typically you can make a 60 to 0 stop in about 160 feet( about 3 seconds) with just the truck, double that when towing a good size trailer. The faster you go the exponentially longer it takes to stop.

Last edited:

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Your towing capacity means diddly squat. What's the payload on that truck? You'll find it on the sticker attached to your drivers door in the sill. Should say cargo carrying capacity.

Mind you that weight is without passengers or cargo. It does account for a full fuel tank.

Take your weight, and the weight of any other passengers, your weight distribution hitch (some are well over 100 lbs) plus any tools/cargo you have in the truck, and subtract it from that cargo capacity.

Now you have what is left for tongue weight on a trailer. The thing to consider is that tongue weight on a travel trailer is going to be, generally, 10-12% of total loaded weight for the trailer. So if the trailer is 7000 lbs loaded, with everything in it, the tongue weight is going to be 700-840 lbs.

Knowing that it's a Laramie with a low payload (1300-1500 lbs) I would say limit yourself to a travel trailer that is 5000-6000 lbs unloaded and no longer than 27 feet.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
You've gotten some good advice in this thread already (crash is REALLY good at putting this stuff into words), so there isn't much I can add. It all comes down to weight, and sure there are some big trailers with low weights (I have a 35 ft TT that has a GVW of about 8500, we don't take much with us so I know it's nowhere close to that), but that kind of length compounds your math because it's a BIG FRICKIN SAIL. Wind pushes a light camper around more than a heavy one.

Things to consider:
1. The longer the trailer, the more it wants to sway. A longer tow vehicle will combat this somewhat, and a sway control system is a must. It can be integrated to your WDH or stand-alone, the choice is yours.
2. The lighter and shorter the trailer, the better it will feel behind your truck - as long as it's a double-axle. I've seen far too many single-axle trailers bobbing around behind vehicles because they're losing traction on rougher roads.
3. The integrated brake controller (not sure if you've got it) is a thing of wonder. There are some aftermarkets that are pretty good, but the integrated one actually applies your trailer brakes in proportion to your truck brakes instead of relying on a pendulum.
4. Remember that (normally) you're going to be pulling the trailer to have a good time, not make great time. You aren't trying to race to your spot, so slow down, take it easy, and pay close attention to your surroundings. I never tow over 65 mph unless it's an emergency maneuver, if people behind me don't like it they can pass.
5. Invest in tow mirrors, either OEM or aftermarket but you've got to watch it with aftermarket - some of them don't hold up. You'll thank yourself with the ability to see around whatever you're pulling.

That's about all I've got right now, I'm sure others will chime in.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Other thing I didn't mention is to not push your cargo capacity to the limit. You want some headroom. Couple hundred pounds, at least while towing a travel trailer. Towing something low, with a low center of gravity, like a flat bed trailer or boat, is different. You can definitely fudge a bit there. But, as mentioned above, a travel trailer is a huge sail, that is going to experience a lot more pushing and pulling via wind and traffic. The goal is to stay in control, and not have a white knuckle experience.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I tow, and have towed, everything under the sun for over 40 years. Had a CDL for 30 of those years. Some advice here is good, some not so much. As a guide...

Attachments

• 2023_RAM_1500_TowChart.pdf
    256.3 KB · Views: 66

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I don't know which box you have, but according to the above chart if you have the 6'4" box the max you can tow is 10,490#. If you have the 5'7" box, the max is 10,430#. Both of which are 800# less than your VIN says.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I don't know which box you have, but according to the above chart if you have the 6'4" box the max you can tow is 10,490#. If you have the 5'7" box, the max is 10,430#. Both of which are 800# less than your VIN says.

That would because the chart is wrong.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Your towing capacity means diddly squat. What's the payload on that truck? You'll find it on the sticker attached to your drivers door in the sill. Should say cargo carrying capacity.

Mind you that weight is without passengers or cargo. It does account for a full fuel tank.

Take your weight, and the weight of any other passengers, your weight distribution hitch (some are well over 100 lbs) plus any tools/cargo you have in the truck, and subtract it from that cargo capacity.

Now you have what is left for tongue weight on a trailer. The thing to consider is that tongue weight on a travel trailer is going to be, generally, 10-12% of total loaded weight for the trailer. So if the trailer is 7000 lbs loaded, with everything in it, the tongue weight is going to be 700-840 lbs.

Knowing that it's a Laramie with a low payload (1300-1500 lbs) I would say limit yourself to a travel trailer that is 5000-6000 lbs unloaded and no longer than 27 feet.

Why would he take his own weight? Driver is already added up to 300 pounds.

OP
OP
C

Creditcardguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 etorque
I’m 200 pounds. :0)
In any case the wife loves it, just bought it, and I’ll let y’all know how it goes. If it’s a mistake it’ll be a good excuse to move up to a 2500. Thanks for the tips.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That would because the chart is wrong.
Well, since it came from Stellantis it's as close as you're going to find to anything more accurate. I also have the chart for the 2023 2500's, and it is spot on.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Well, since it came from Stellantis it's as close as you're going to find to anything more accurate. I also have the chart for the 2023 2500's, and it is spot on.

That chart is for DS models. Unless I'm blind, the OP has DT. DT has higher Towing, which match's what OP said. Just like my Rebel which has 11XXX Towing.

You can find both PDF charts on official Ram Site.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That chart is for DS models. Unless I'm blind, the OP has DT. DT has higher Towing, which match's what OP said. Just like my Rebel which has 11XXX Towing.

You can find both PDF charts on official Ram Site.
Very well, but the OP didn't say. He only stated he has a Laramie 1500 4x4 with the 3.92 rear end. Nothing about the picture of his truck tells me if it is DT or DS. I made a guess, it may be wrong. Here is the other tow chart.

Attachments

• Ram_LD DT_Weight & Tow_MY23.pdf
    203.8 KB · Views: 16

Jane S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Good answer.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Very well, but the OP didn't say. He only stated he has a Laramie 1500 4x4 with the 3.92 rear end. Nothing about the picture of his truck tells me if it is DT or DS.
The picture of the OPs truck has 6 lug nuts, that's a DT body truck(DS only has 5). After 2019 there was just the Tradesman, Express and Warlock trims available in the DS body.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Why would he take his own weight? Driver is already added up to 300 pounds.

Not for payload. There is no room in the payload for driver or passenger. If I remember correctly the 300 pounds comes from the GCWR only, not payload. Everything you stick in your truck above and beyond how it came from the factory, must be deducted for payload. Not gas or other liquids though.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Not for payload. There is no room in the payload for driver or passenger. If I remember correctly the 300 pounds comes from the GCWR only, not payload. Everything you stick in your truck above and beyond how it came from the factory, must be deducted for payload. Not gas or other liquids though.
I think it used to be that the payload numbers on the pillar assumed one 150-pound driver. I don't think that is the case anymore, though.

Last edited:

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^^^ that. I've never heard, or seen documentation, stating that 300 lbs is allotted for the driver. Only the truck's wet weight.

Regardless, payload is going to be limiting factor on a 1500. Especially a Laramie. You'll come no where close to towing at capacity without far exceeding payload.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thoffmann517