Can you remove the cv axles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2011ramster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L hemi
Hey all

I have a trip planned for the 4th of July. Currently my front axle is worn loose and won’t be able to get it fixed till after the trip. Is it possible to remove the cv axles and still be okay to drive the truck? And if so can anyone explain what I would need to do?

It’s a 2011 ram 1500

Attachments

• AFF221C2-D921-453F-B68C-3B763E6731B4.jpeg
    AFF221C2-D921-453F-B68C-3B763E6731B4.jpeg
    164 KB · Views: 6

BlackGold6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I don't see why not .. but the only issue I can think of is the ABS and traction control may cause some issues, let us know how it turns out.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In order to remove the cv axle you have to disassemble the front suspension on that side including the axle nut. The ram trucks do not use a stub shaft for the wheel hub as far as I know like the older Chevy trucks. @Wild one can you confirm that. Should be 0 issue with abs and traction control as the cv has nothing to do with either

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hey all

I have a trip planned for the 4th of July. Currently my front axle is worn loose and won’t be able to get it fixed till after the trip. Is it possible to remove the cv axles and still be okay to drive the truck? And if so can anyone explain what I would need to do?

It’s a 2011 ram 1500
You can pull both CV's with no issues. My pavement princess 4X4 has had everything from the t-case ahead removed for the last several years.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Now, I've not had the CV's out of mine yet but on any vehicle prior the CV stub shaft was pretty important to holding the wheel bearing together. Without the CV shaft being torqued down, only the press fit of the hub assembly held it together. A quick look shows me 185ft/lb for the axle nut torque, but don't take that as gospel.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Whatever the answer there, I would pull the axles and gut both the inner and outer joints then put each back in. This will keep **** out of the front axle and allow you to still torque the hub nut.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Now, I've not had the CV's out of mine yet but on any vehicle prior the CV stub shaft was pretty important to holding the wheel bearing together. Without the CV shaft being torqued down, only the press fit of the hub assembly held it together. A quick look shows me 185ft/lb for the axle nut torque, but don't take that as gospel.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Whatever the answer there, I would pull the axles and gut both the inner and outer joints then put each back in. This will keep **** out of the front axle and allow you to still torque the hub nut.
You don't need the CV's at all Jesse,the 2 X 4's and 4X4's use the same front hub assembly,so you don't need a stub axle to hold the hubs together. My truck hasn't had the front driveshaft/front diff or front axles for going on 7 years,i removed everything when the truck had less then 5,000 miles on it,as it never sees any winter driving,or gravel roads,lol

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That’s what I thought @Wild one. The ram uses a full assembly not requiring a stub shaft. However my SIL has an 05 Silverado and I’ll be pulling the front cv axles and leaving the outer shafts. Her inner cv joints have failed. The Silverado requires a stub shaft or it’ll separate and fail. The outer shaft holds the bearings together on her truck.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
That’s what I thought @Wild one. The ram uses a full assembly not requiring a stub shaft. However my SIL has an 05 Silverado and I’ll be pulling the front cv axles and leaving the outer shafts. Her inner cv joints have failed. The Silverado requires a stub shaft or it’ll separate and fail. The outer shaft holds the bearings together on her truck.
There's alot of trucks that do require the stub shafts to hold the front hubs together,but our 1500's are one of the few trucks that don't. I'm good buddies with my local dealers parts department,so we went through the dealers catalogue's,and once i discovered the front hub assemblies were the same part number between a 2 wheel drive truck and a 4X4 ,i knew i could pull the CV's with no issues. You wouldn't believe the amount of crap i put up with on the facebook pages,once i started telling guys they could remove the CV's with no issues,consequently i don't have much patience for know it all's on facebook,if they start telling somebody the front wheels will fall off,if you don't have a stub shaft in place,lol

Last edited:

CliffordK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just make sure the stub shaft in the differential stays in place, otherwise you will have a gear oil leak.
That was what I was thinking.

Is the OP absolutely sure they can't get the parts in time? The amount of work to remove the axles, and the amount of work to replace the axles may well be about the same.

Even pay for overnight shipping so you don't have to do double the work.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well interesting.

As for work to do the job, someone already suggested the sawzall. Cut the shaft and you'll likely have room to get things out without further disassembly.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Well interesting.

As for work to do the job, someone already suggested the sawzall. Cut the shaft and you'll likely have room to get things out without further disassembly.
axle will be out in ten minutes as opposed to messing with the knuckle, and since you need to replace it anyhow??

The real question, would he have to cut out both sides or can he leave one intact. I don't know the answer.

Ben using my sawzall for rebar for a project, cuts it like butter, the thick stuff too.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I think that hard to find stub axle wasnt used yet on 2011, did it start 2012? Anyone have that info?

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2012 and up has the POS gen 4 diffs. Literally the worst **** ever invented. I would ***** slap the idiot who designed that garbage.

Thats why I did a gen 3 front diff swap on mine.

OP
OP
2011ramster

2011ramster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L hemi
axle will be out in ten minutes as opposed to messing with the knuckle, and since you need to replace it anyhow??

The real question, would he have to cut out both sides or can he leave one intact. I don't know the answer.

Ben using my sawzall for rebar for a project, cuts it like butter, the thick stuff too.
Both sides are pretty bad. I would cut both. Do you think that’s the way to go? Quickest and least dissembling required?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Both sides are pretty bad. I would cut both. Do you think that’s the way to go? Quickest and least dissembling required?
Don't quote me on this,but i thought you could return your old axles for a core charge,but i might be thinking of the old days,lol

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I didnt have to core my axles when I changed them.

If it were me I'd probably drive on the old ones have someone replace it all when I got back. It isnt a terribly expensive job, just hard on the ol arms. If it isnt popping when going straight, you should be ok.