Can you remove the cv axles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My biggest worry about cutting them would be, what if I can't get the old inner cv off of the stub shaft.
Of course a torch and cutoff wheel might fix that! lol
sawzall might be able to cut off the bulk of the inner cv - never tried that and don't know how hard of a steel the cv housing is.

Been down that road a few times on other vehicles, unfortunately.

Frontbutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a long trip coming up too and was thinking of saving wear on my tires and taking them all off. Does anyone see an issue with just driving on the rotors? I mean a wagon wheel is made of wood and a solid wheel of metal would seem to be somewhat better. Change my mind.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a long trip coming up too and was thinking of saving wear on my tires and taking them all off. Does anyone see an issue with just driving on the rotors? I mean a wagon wheel is made of wood and a solid wheel of metal would seem to be somewhat better. Change my mind.
If you do this, I highly recommend the vented rotors. While the solid rotors give more support and are stronger, I have found that they tend to run hot if the road is winding and the vented rotors controlled that heat build up.
Now this was on concrete, so asphalt or dirt roads may change that.
Side note - the vented rotors also pick up rocks on a gravel road and act as very efficient studs on snow and ice!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
There's always that 1 guy in the crowd isn't there,looks like you're it this week,lol.