Canadian problem only ? Melting glow plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ian MacKinnon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 maybe
Engine
diesel
I have a low mileage '21 3500 HO. My friend , who is in the auto repair business, has a '22 2500 diesel.

He has noticed a lot of late model ******'s engines being rebuilt because the glow plug ( over #6 cylinder) is over heating, meltng and dropping down

I called a friend that worked at a dealership if true, he had heard if it. Not enough to push a recall and there was a kit sold to get around it. almost 2k.

Is this a known issue and other thsn unplugging the glow plug, what can we do ?

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I have a low mileage '21 3500 HO. My friend , who is in the auto repair business, has a '22 2500 diesel.

He has noticed a lot of late model ******'s engines being rebuilt because the glow plug ( over #6 cylinder) is over heating, meltng and dropping down

I called a friend that worked at a dealership if true, he had heard if it. Not enough to push a recall and there was a kit sold to get around it. almost 2k.

FYI Cummins engine do not have Glow Plugs

OP
OP
I

ian MacKinnon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 maybe
Engine
diesel
Ok..I may have the name wrong ..but since you are so smart, what do I wait for when I go to start the engine when cold?

The name is irrelivant but it is above cylinder 6..

do tell..

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Ok..I may have the name wrong ..but since you are so smart, what do I wait for when I go to start the engine when cold?

do tell..
You have an intake grid heater that you wait to come on when air temp is IIRC around 65 degrees, it heats the incoming air to aid starting... Also the grid heater its not above cylinder #6... What I think your talking about is a bolt used on the grid heater that can sometimes fail do to a faulty relay, when it fails it can fall into one of the cylinders... BTW if your going to own a diesel its a good idea to read up on what some thing are called or your going to get taken advantage of when its time for service or repairs... Attached below is a PDF on how to do a Jiggle test to check and see IF the grid heater bolt need to be repaired...

Attachments

• GGTech_GridHeaterNutJiggleTest (1).pdf
    437.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

do tell..
No, the name isn't irrelevant...

Powerstrokes and Duramaxes have glow plugs. Cummins uses an intake grid heater. There's nothing heating the cylinders like a glow plug. The air is being heated in the intake. There's nothing to fall into the #6 cylinder unless an injector tip or a valve (or one of it's parts) broke. Unless it's the grid heater nut... that "could" fall into #6 and that makes sense with the "kit" (grid heater delete) to get around it. It isn't common though and the kit's only a couple hundred bucks.

The #6 cylinder is usually the one to go first if you tune one and turn up the power though because it's the furthest away from cool air and receives the hottest coolant. If they're having these issues and aren't tuning the engines nor have a problem with that nut, then it's a bad injector or some problem with the cylinder overheating.

Last edited:

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD

I'll bet your "friend" can get you a killer deal on this kit as long as he gets the $$$.
The so called grid heater "problem" is very much over-hyped and exaggerated even though it's quite rare.