can't decide....advice? wheel swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigred318

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 318 5.2l
don't know how to go about this...

Currently i have a 1998 dodge ram with:
- 2.5" coil spacers (front) 2" block (rear)
- 16x7" rims 5x5.5 lug pattern (stock)
- 35" bfg tires (badly worn)

Just bought:
Mickey Thomspon 16x8" 6x5.5 lug pattern
mounted with
35" bfg tires (practicallly brand new)
i got an amazing deal, $800 for the tires and wheels that have less than 150 miles.

The tires i have now which are 35" (just worn) rub when i turn hard to either side. the back of the tire rubs on the frame.

I can't decide what to do.

1) Do i unmount the wheels i just bought from the rims and mount the tires on the stock rims and get spacers so they dont rub? can i do that even though the tires i just bought are on a 16x8 and the stock wheels are 16x7? if i could then i would just sell the new Mickey Thompsons.

2) Do i get the 5x5.5 to 6x5.5 adapters and use the MT wheels? that will also push my wheels out 2". is that safe?

3) do i buy new rims (Cragar Soft 8 Black Steel Wheels 16"x8" 5x5.5") online for $360? it says the offset is 12. would that be enough to stop it from rubbing when i turn hard? then i could sell the Mickey Thompson rims and the stock rims. it says online that these wont fit my truck? they're 16" with a 5x5.5 lug pattern exactly like my stock rims. and even when i check to see if that version of wheel in a 16x7 (same as stock) is compatible it says yet again that it isnt...

4) go to a salvage yard and get 6 lug parts to replace my 5 lug? if thats a horrible idea that wont work im sorry, im just trying to think of all options.

I DO NOT have much money to work with. so a $1,000 conversion kit is out of the question.

well, let me know what you would do. thanks for your time

this situation got the best of me :owned:

hmm.. looks like i stumped you guys, 70 views and only one person has something to say :naughty:

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bigred318

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 318 5.2l
Check your backspacing on both rim then post it up here

Mickey Thompson classic II - 3/5-8 (thats what is says on the website)
Ram stock wheels - 5"
Crager Rims, it just says offset - 12

Last edited: