Capacitor questions....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swamp_life hemi 05

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the 2 alpine type r 12's in my truck now and they drop so low that it's making my lights dim horribly... They are wired to 2ohms. IM wanting to install a capacitor but have never done so..... Can you guys help me decide Wat size? If it will even help? Or if it is worth it?

Thanks guys..... Robb

Droid Incredible 2 on the move!!!

HKkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, it will definitely help. How big is your amp?

HKkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It goes in between the battery and the amp. I wouldn't think that that amp would do it but I guess crazier things have happened. A half farad would do it, but I would got ahead and get a 1 farad capacitor and just be done, in case you ever upgrade.

Basically it stores up some power, and then on those big hits the capacitor is able to supply that extra power without drawing it from the other components in you system.

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For 500W, you only need a 1 farad. If you still have dimming issues, it is most likely your battery or altinator are dying. As far as wiring it in, you really cannot mess it up, there are only 2 posts on most. + and -

jhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
check all grounds as well 500 watts shouldnt drop voltage that much befor i upgraded my system i was at 1800 rms and barley dimmed, make sure your power and ground wire are big enough and the ground is attached to bare metal securly my guess is wire issue som e wheres then check battery then check alt and if that doesnt fix it then do a capacitor

BIGBREW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Run a positive and negative to your cap, then a positive from your cap to your amp, and a ground from your amp to your battery.

Track3r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Am I the only one who uses a power block? Battery > Block / Block > amp / Block > cap?

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
You can get a very nice one on the bay for pretty cheap actually I have a power acoustic one with digital gauge that was like 50 bucks and is 5 farad. Works awesome cannot dim lights no matter what.

$miley

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
I have the JL 500/1 in my truck and the lights don't even flinch. What gauge wires are you using for power and ground. JL recommends at least 4 guage as for what I'm using. Do you have a good ground to bare metal? Are you hooked directly to the battery for power? Like they said above if you have all above I asked done then you need to check the battery or alternator.

OP
OP
swamp_life hemi 05

swamp_life hemi 05

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think my ground needs to be improved lol It's on bare metal but I need to ground it to the frame.... And all I run is 4 gauge wire.

Droid Incredible 2 on the move!!!

jhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
4 gauge is plenty big, you dont realy need to but if you ever plan on upgrading in future do the big three aswell

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
do big three, forget cap's....

ramfanatic

Banned
Reaction score
capacitors are just a ploy to get you to spend money they really don't do anything i have been an installer for over 30 years and never used them as they are junk

Reesycup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi
capacitors are just a ploy to get you to spend money they really don't do anything i have been an installer for over 30 years and never used them as they are junk

X2

Caps are only a band aid for a bigger problem. If you are running the slash series jl amp a cap should not be needed. Those amps have a regulated power supply which mean that if the power light is on the amp is making max power. The power supply also allows for lower current consumption which keeps the lights from dimming. You should check your install and your charging system. I too have been installing for quite sometime and jl amps are the best and do not require a capacitor when they are properly installed.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I will agree to disagree with any of you cap haters always use and love them and the benefits they provide. I used to setup without and it was not as good.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
X2

Caps are only a band aid for a bigger problem. If you are running the slash series jl amp a cap should not be needed. Those amps have a regulated power supply which mean that if the power light is on the amp is making max power. The power supply also allows for lower current consumption which keeps the lights from dimming. You should check your install and your charging system. I too have been installing for quite sometime and jl amps are the best and do not require a capacitor when they are properly installed.

I love regulated power supplies, but IMHO with nowdays technology, there's no need for caps anywhere, regulated or non.
Regulated just means the amp will do the same power, all the time...where others fall short on voltage on the rail will shut down.