Car wash drying

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KrisIL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Every time I take my 2016 Ram to a carwash the roof pops under dryer pressure. Since I have installed the roof lights is it bad when this happens? Also will my paint get damaged?

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Not to be a smart ass but all auto car washes do is damage your paint. And yes the flexing just amplifies that damage. Is it gonna happen fast no but are you taking years off of the paints life yep

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk all grammar errors brought you by fat fingers and auto correct.

Ludville1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Sport Crew
Not to be a smart ass but all auto car washes do is damage your paint. And yes the flexing just amplifies that damage. Is it gonna happen fast no but are you taking years off of the paints life yep

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk all grammar errors brought you by fat fingers and auto correct.

^^^This!

Haven't been through a car wash in probably 40 years!

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I use the touch free automated washes sometimes, just to knock off some dirt or bugs. I avoid the ones with brushes.

I’ve occasionally over the years had a vehicle where the roof will flex and pop under a particular air dryer. I just avoid that wash in the future as nothing good can come from it.

My approach to cleaning is more about long term paint preservation than to be sparkly clean for appearance sake. I do a deep clean / clay / sealant quarterly or thereabouts. In between I don’t touch the paint, nothing but pressure washing. The more you touch it the more you scratch it. Unavoidable.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I use the touch free automated washes sometimes, just to knock off some dirt or bugs. I avoid the ones with brushes.

I’ve occasionally over the years had a vehicle where the roof will flex and pop under a particular air dryer. I just avoid that wash in the future as nothing good can come from it.

My approach to cleaning is more about long term paint preservation than to be sparkly clean for appearance sake. I do a deep clean / clay / sealant quarterly or thereabouts. In between I don’t touch the paint, nothing but pressure washing. The more you touch it the more you scratch it. Unavoidable.

I would avoid all automated or spray off car washes if you truly care about your paint. All the commercial detergents they use are pretty harsh and will strip off wax and sealant. I used one of the local car washes this winter to spray the salt off the truck after the snows and my sealant I applied in the fall was completely gone this spring. I just ceramic coated the truck and bought a power washer this spring so I'm going to be spraying my own salt off this winter.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
sound proof that roof and it won;t flex anymore

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Every time I take my 2016 Ram to a carwash the roof pops under dryer pressure. Since I have installed the roof lights is it bad when this happens? Also will my paint get damaged?
I have an unlimited plan at my car wash, and I drive through it every single day that it is not raining or snowing since new for the past 3 1/2 years. Yes, the hood bounces going through the driers. No, it doesn’t do any damage, and is no big deal. I don’t have a single scratch or swirl mark on my clear coat.

OP
OP
K

KrisIL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So do you guys recommend power washing at home or one of those self washing stations that use a brush with hose connected?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Wash at home never EVER put brushes on your paint.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have an unlimited plan at my car wash, and I drive through it every single day that it is not raining or snowing since new for the past 3 1/2 years. Yes, the hood bounces going through the driers. No, it doesn’t do any damage, and is no big deal. I don’t have a single scratch or swirl mark on my clear coat.
[emoji2955]

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have used touchless washes for years with no problems. It does a great job of washing underneath, gets contaminates off quickly, and I can put wax back on if needed. I would think frequent washes and any loss of wax would be better than leaving road salt on, or if one lives near the ocean the salt in the air. Add in the chemicals from roads thrown up from other cars, rain that is less than pure, plus birds and would think a detergent is the lesser evil.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have used touchless washes for years with no problems. It does a great job of washing underneath, gets contaminates off quickly, and I can put wax back on if needed. I would think frequent washes and any loss of wax would be better than leaving road salt on, or if one lives near the ocean the salt in the air. Add in the chemicals from roads thrown up from other cars, rain that is less than pure, plus birds and would think a detergent is the lesser evil.

Yep between birds and salt, auto car wash is part of life up here. I've seen peoples cars who don't wash them through winter (mostly because you can't wash at home during winter, unless you have a heated garage or something) and they start looking bad real quick (especially the underside). My trucks stay rust free by using the auto washes and that's the most important thing for me to maintain a high value at trade in time. And the birds around here during the summer tend to nail my truck every day for a week or so on and off, so auto car wash we go again cause I would have to retire to have enough time to keep my truck poop free if I had to wash it at home each time.

As for the roof caving sound, had that on my regular cab shortbox but do not have it on my crew cab with sunroof. Either way, never did any damage to anything.

BobSacomano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
The defacto opinion seems to be that you should never take your truck through an automated car wash because it damages the finish. Allow me to play Devil's advocate...

I take my truck through an automated wash all the time, and I justify it thusly: if I don't take it through the automated wash, it will get washed FAR less frequently (because I hate washing it by hand) and THAT will damage the paint, via rust and corrosion and the road salt they use up here in the winter (also, can't really wash the truck competently by hand when it's -40).

Do what makes you comfortable. If you still own your truck in 10 years, and there are paint imperfections due to repeated washings, well, you'd be due for a new truck by then anyway, right?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
My buddies '04 Dodge Ram went through a car wash at least every other week, more often every week for over ten years, that truck still looked like new when he sold it.
I think the stipulation of car washes ruining paint are from yesteryears, mostly before clear-coat paint and improved car wash technology.

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a touchless ruin the headlights on my VW. The clear coat started peeling off.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a black 2012 sport ... hits the car wash once a week. I still get complements on how great it looks, and then shocked faces when I say what year it is. Depends on the carwash I guess. Mine replaces the cloth brushes every year.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Usmc341

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What he said. Unlimited plan here, saves my back and truck is always clean. The car washes would be out of business if they caused paint damage. Their soap is clear coat friendly and they don't use brushes anymore. Don't sweat it. It's a truck not a Bentley.

Last edited: