Carburator for older Ram w250

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

w1651

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I am new here and this may not even apply to this forum. I see most have newer Dodges.
I own a 2nd Gen 1985
w250 with a 318 and auto trans. I am rebuilding a 318 with larger cam and higher flowing heads. I want to pull a travel trailer with it so I needed a little more power and troque for those mountain climbs without killing what little fuel milage I get now. The cam is a 440 lift (There abouts) and as I said the heads are higher flow heads. I also put a 360 2bbl intake on the newly rebuilt engine. I know a 318 is a great engine but it was never meant for the performance side of the market.
What I need to know is since the intake is a 2bbl intake will a Holley R 2245 or R 7226 A carb work on it. I need about 500 to 550 cfms total. Or do I need to replace the jets with bigger ones to get the additional power I may need. I was looking online and all I can find as far as CFM's are references to the 2245 Lt and HD Carb. One said the HD was a 500 CFM carb but I really need more facts on this before I pull the trigger and buy one. Any help out there would be great.

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
... I'm an old parts man .. I started in 1967 & was in the automotive business until 1995 then I went to Chrysler Tech SIDE . * THEN ON TO Freightliner .& now retired.
...buy my answer for you is ... A. You need a large motor to pull in the mountains. Just saying . I'd be just like you I'd have to try what you've built. But Sorry you need some more Displacement . ''inches''.
.... THEY IS A CARB REBUILD SHOP . IN Cedar Hill Texas .. named MR. CARBURATOR
972-291-1101.
NOW BE Sweet to these old people . They've been in business for 50 years.+r-..
But ask their advise on this question you've ask here. I believe they can answer your questions .
....... I live almost 200 miles from them . I used them back when I HAD MY PARTS STORE.
As I drove by them I just called them up on the cell phone & Said Hello ...
I ask them what they specialized in mostly now .. I told them I used them back 20 years ago . They said thanks for the business & Yes they still do a lot of carbs . But Yes they do injection type stuff now also .
. Thank you Guys ... & Thanks for all the help back in my days in parts.
.....I believe this might help you in your quest for controlled power.
.... Good Luck ...
& You might be able to move up to 360.. fuel mileage oh so bad...
& IN YOUR 1985 MAYBE EVEN FIND A 440.. NOW THAT'S COOL.
... & iF YOU CAN FIND A 413. iT'S GOT TORQUE & POWER..
& THEN YOU SWAP TO A torquer intake & Run a AFB OR AVS or a Edelbrock carb.
....... LET ME KNOW HOW THIS TURNS OUT as I have a 1988 EFI. tHROTTLE BODY I believe. but mine is a 318 5.2L .. .. It's a D250 WESTERN HAULER BED . I WANT TO PULL A 18FT CATTLE TRAILER WITH IT .. But I believe i'LL Need a bigger motor .
...... While I HAVE A GEN III with a 24valve 5.9L THAT I HAUL MY 32FT . CAMPING TRAILER & FLATBED Farm trailer with .
.... I want my classic Farm Gen I TO PULL the CLASSIC cattle Trailer to market with . But I'd like to do it at 70 mph not 40 as in Smoking 318 style.
........Keep us informed .

scrounge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a 1984 D100 with a 318, and the carb it came with was a Holley 2280, which I think was the standard 2-bbl from then to fuel injection. I didn't like it. I found a Carter BBD 1 1/4 at a swap meet, and used it for a while, until it could no longer take a rebuild, probably due to the ethanol in the fuel.

My manuals are at home, and I'm currently out of state, so I don't know about the carbs you mentioned. I think the 2245 should work, but try to find one locally first, and make sure the bolt pattern lines up, and the linkages go where they're supposed to. Don't know about the 7226. You might get lucky at a junkyard -- some of them post their inventory online.

If you want more power, consider finding a 4-bbl intake for it. From 1985 to fuel injection, a Rochester 4-Jet was standard on the 360.

scrounge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm back home. I have a Chilton's manual covering 1979 to 1986 trucks of all makes. It shows that the 2245 was used up to the 1983 model year for Dodge and Plymouth, so it should work on your intake.

It looks like R7226 was a specific model number within the Holley 2245 series for carbs made during the 1975 model year for 360 engines. Though older, it should also work on your intake.