Cargo Cam Third Brake Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DonnyP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just came across one of these and purchased it.

_57-jpg.jpg

Found one for $50 at a junkyard. Part grade was a B so hopefully its not in too bad of shape. Planning to paint it to match my truck and install it.

Hope it all works out because that is a screaming good deal.

mynameisante

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Where would the video transfer to, the stereo (same as tailgate reverse) or a separate screen you need to mount?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

CoZo6

2021 Longhorn Limited 1500
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque

_57-jpg.jpg

Found one for $50 at a junkyard. Part grade was a B so hopefully its not in too bad of shape. Planning to paint it to match my truck and install it.

Now that is a great deal!

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

_57-jpg.jpg

That's a great price! I paid $250 for mine. One thing to note is you will need to enable the LED CHMSL code in your truck with the Alfa tool or figure out a way to run an inline resistor to avoid bulb out warning on the EVIC. This is a picture of the setting that would need to be changed if you decided to go that way. You could also make the cargo cam actually work if you wanted to depending on what radio you have by enabling the correct codes and adding the wiring. I did it to my 2014 1500 Express that I have done the RA4 8.4" upgrade too. Screenshot_20200425-083558_AlfaOBD.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
DonnyP

DonnyP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's a great price! I paid $250 for mine. One thing to note is you will need to enable the LED CHMSL code in your truck with the Alfa tool or figure out a way to run an inline resistor to avoid bulb out warning on the EVIC. This is a picture of the setting that would need to be changed if you decided to go that way. You could also make the cargo cam actually work if you wanted to depending on what radio you have by enabling the correct codes and adding the wiring. I did it to my 2014 1500 Express that I have done the RA4 8.4" upgrade too. View attachment 204220

Sorry, I forgot about this haha. I appreciate all that great advice. It actually arrived here yesterday. Only a few small spiders stuck inside of it lol. It's been raining a ton though so I haven't been able to install it.

Even if I have the LED tail lamps and headlights from the factory I still need the resistor and alphaOBD? I don't have it and would need to look into it. I also am thinking about making my own cable and getting the camera to work.

It looks like it needs new weather stripping around it as well, any ideas on what to use?

Still debating also if I paint it to match the truck or leave black.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry, I forgot about this haha. I appreciate all that great advice. It actually arrived here yesterday. Only a few small spiders stuck inside of it lol. It's been raining a ton though so I haven't been able to install it.

Even if I have the LED tail lamps and headlights from the factory I still need the resistor and alphaOBD? I don't have it and would need to look into it. I also am thinking about making my own cable and getting the camera to work.

It looks like it needs new weather stripping around it as well, any ideas on what to use?

Still debating also if I paint it to match the truck or leave black.
You don't need a resistor on the LED third brake light as long as you enable the code I posted in the picture with the Alfa tool. All you need to do is enable the code. You can most likely get the cargo cam harness from M2mods who is in the vendor section. I'm not sure what the wait time will be.

CoZo6

2021 Longhorn Limited 1500
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
You don't need a resistor on the LED third brake light as long as you enable the code I posted in the picture with the Alfa tool. All you need to do is enable the code. You can most likely get the cargo cam harness from M2mods who is in the vendor section. I'm not sure what the wait time will be.

I just installed my LED Cargo camera setup a few days ago. I had followed the prior post above to enable same with no issues. I also used M2mods harness. Excellent quality and fit like a glove. Course I paid another hun more than you guys did but I’m ok with that.

northvibe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed the oem led/camera 3rd brake light last summer. Also used M2mods harness to my headunit and alfaodb to enable camera and swap to led for the cargo cam. Works great! and with the led it is a better output for bed lighting at night. I had to buy my oem at full price, but $50 is a freaking steal!

RodeoRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wish I could find the cargo cam harness. I received my LED CHMSL last week from a junkyard in WI. Similar deal, $70 shipped. Just got lucky and found it on car-part.com the day its truck was brought in. I saw Deereguy's post about him not making them anymore and that Mpgrimm2 would do them from now on. So I PMed Mpgrimm2, he told me to go back to Deereguy, and I am waiting to hear from him now.

Anyone know if there is another source for the cam harness if neither will be doing them now? I am not enthused with the Brandmotion version with the toggle switch. One reason is I don't want to have to put it in reverse to see it. I have Alfa to enable it. I just need the harness.

ichime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Wish I could find the cargo cam harness. I received my LED CHMSL last week from a junkyard in WI. Similar deal, $70 shipped. Just got lucky and found it on car-part.com the day its truck was brought in. I saw Deereguy's post about him not making them anymore and that Mpgrimm2 would do them from now on. So I PMed Mpgrimm2, he told me to go back to Deereguy, and I am waiting to hear from him now.

Anyone know if there is another source for the cam harness if neither will be doing them now? I am not enthused with the Brandmotion version with the toggle switch. One reason is I don't want to have to put it in reverse to see it. I have Alfa to enable it. I just need the harness.

Kaodtech has one, but it's on the expensive side:

https://www.kaodtech.com/product-page/2013-2018-ram-2500and-up-chmsl-camera-harness

RodeoRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

ichime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Kaodtech is Deereguy. And his prices are lower than any others I've seen. I haven't even started going down the Mopar road yet. If they want over $600 for a new LED CHMSL w/cargo cam, I can't imagine how much they'd want for the harness.

Huh! Didn't know that! I remember seeing a set of CHMSL harnesses on ebay for around $80, but can't seem to find em anymore.

RodeoRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Anyone? Buehler?

Digging around here, it appears that I would have to buy a headliner if I wanted the Mopar wiring. Ridiculous. Does anyone know what connectors and wiring I would need to make my own?

Added: Kaodtech website is accepting orders for the harnesses again so I jumped on it. Thanks, @DeereGuy.

Last edited: