Cars with beds making a Comeback?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
While the general trend for trucks has been to grow in size over the years, it seems that has left a gap now for light-duty "car trucks" or as the Aussies call them "utes".

We haven't seen any Ford Maverick reveal yet, but just the other day this vehicle based on the 2022 Hyundai Tucson was revealed called the Santa Cruz. Can be optioned up to a 2.5T four bang er that makes 275hp and 310ftlbs, AWD w/ locking center diff, 8-speed wet dual-clutch transmission, and is quite compact being a foot shorter than a Honda Ridgeline.

Being Hyundai you can also load it up with features pretty heavily for the class w/ 10.25" infotainment and matching size digital cluster where the speedo and tach can turn into camera views when your blinker is on, with a high resolution stitched 360o camera, heated/ventilated seats, little beer cooler type chest in the small bed, and supposedly on the production version you'll be able to drop the rear glass as a pass through that is even height with the retractable 250lb weight capacity tonneau cover to strap down some long items. Tailgate doesn't have any special tricks, but on production one is going to be damped and can be lowered w/ keyfob electronically.

Supposed to have an auto-leveling rear independent suspension, which I assume is to allow them to keep the spring rates low for a soft ride, yet still able to tow up to 5000lbs.

Designed and built in the US is what they say.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I dunno - seems those things don't do anything well. Trying to be everything to everyone ends up being nothing to no one. It's why the Chevy El Camino was the only one for a while and was discontinued. Honda Ridgeline was also a fad that hipsters drove until they realized they had an expensive, nonfunctional ride that cost too much, just to project some kind of utilitarian image.

It's a free choice, but too expensive to screw up due to some image-mania. Buy what you want - not what someone else compliments you in.

OP
OP
Jessica Smith

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dunno - seems those things don't do anything well. Trying to be everything to everyone ends up being nothing to no one.
I still love my leatherman multitool, even if its similar concept where its so-so at lots of things, but sometimes that's practical to have it all on hand in one device. When someone asks "hey anyone have a..." I can just say "Yes" pre-emptively! ;)

I think the use case is anyone that was interested not so much in a truck, but a crossover like the Tucson it was based on, but prefers a small bed instead of the hatchback, since you won't stink up or dirty your crossover interior making a trip to garden center for some plants, mulch, transporting gasoline/generator, and want a little more tow capacity for a a motorcycle, jet skis, or small uhaul trailer when moving etc.

FWD version w/ the NA 2.5 engine is expected to do ~30mpg highway on 87 which isn't bad, since the Tucson is rated 33mpg.

Pricing isn't announced but MSRP is guessed to be ~$26-36K depending on trim.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I still love my leatherman multitool, even if its similar concept where its so-so at lots of things, but sometimes that's practical to have it all on hand in one device. When someone asks "hey anyone have a..." I can just say "Yes" pre-emptively! ;)

I think the use case is anyone that was interested not so much in a truck, but a crossover like the Tucson it was based on, but prefers a small bed instead of the hatchback, since you won't stink up or dirty your crossover interior making a trip to garden center for some plants, mulch, transporting gasoline/generator, and want a little more tow capacity for a a motorcycle, jet skis, or small uhaul trailer when moving etc.

FWD version w/ the NA 2.5 engine is expected to do ~30mpg highway on 87 which isn't bad, since the Tucson is rated 33mpg.

Pricing isn't announced but MSRP is guessed to be ~$26-36K depending on trim.

Sure - there's a niche for most anything, but vehicles that aren't bought in large numbers are doomed because of the cost of production amortized over small numbers. Being in powertrain engineering and production for 32 years, I saw this personally.

OP
OP
Jessica Smith

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sure - there's a niche for most anything, but vehicles that aren't bought in large numbers are doomed because of the cost of production amortized over small numbers. Being in powertrain engineering and production for 32 years, I saw this personally.
I drove a 2022 Tucson, this appears to share a ton of parts on the interior save for shifter center console area that's different. Chassis wise its modified but mostly just a new Tucson. Powertrain is the same for both on the base engine, and Tucson is their top selling model. The 2.5T isn't for 2022 in the Tucson, but they use it in a bunch of other vehicles. The 20" wheels are unique, but I wouldn't be surprised if the 18" wheels were the same as the 18"s on the Tucson.

I'd wager that there isn't a huge amount of unique components on this vehicle, so they should be safe.

Regarding others, Subaru has consolidated all their vehicles now onto a single "Subaru Global Platform", so I'd bet they could slightly modify an Outback model to have a short bed. The Maverick is based on the Escape and Bronco Sport chassis.

Ram might even bring their existing competitor over, which is also more of a car with a short bed than a truck, the Ram 700 they sell to the latins:

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That thing is hideous. I am assuming no Hemi option. That stuff sales in Mexico and Central America, but not here. Thats why Holden didn't bring their Commodore over here. Just not the right market. Times were different back when the El Camino, Ranchero, and the Scamp/Rampage were out. They weren't practical. I owned a 70 Elky SS and outside of it being a Muscle car per say, no payload, you arent getting a extension ladder in it. I wouldn't haul a lot in the bed. I could go on. It looks cool, but in the States that isn't cool. You would be better off with a Colorado or Ranger.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Lol. From the title I was thinking with the price of real estate and rent nowadays more people are sleeping in their cars like I used to when I couldn't afford a home.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I drove a 2022 Tucson, this appears to share a ton of parts on the interior save for shifter center console area that's different. Chassis wise its modified but mostly just a new Tucson. Powertrain is the same for both on the base engine, and Tucson is their top selling model. The 2.5T isn't for 2022 in the Tucson, but they use it in a bunch of other vehicles. The 20" wheels are unique, but I wouldn't be surprised if the 18" wheels were the same as the 18"s on the Tucson.

I'd wager that there isn't a huge amount of unique components on this vehicle, so they should be safe.

Regarding others, Subaru has consolidated all their vehicles now onto a single "Subaru Global Platform", so I'd bet they could slightly modify an Outback model to have a short bed. The Maverick is based on the Escape and Bronco Sport chassis.

Ram might even bring their existing competitor over, which is also more of a car with a short bed than a truck, the Ram 700 they sell to the latins:

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
That thing is hideous. I am assuming no Hemi option. That stuff sales in Mexico and Central America, but not here. Thats why Holden didn't bring their Commodore over here. Just not the right market. Times were different back when the El Camino, Ranchero, and the Scamp/Rampage were out. They weren't practical. I owned a 70 Elky SS and outside of it being a Muscle car per say, no payload, you arent getting a extension ladder in it. I wouldn't haul a lot in the bed. I could go on. It looks cool, but in the States that isn't cool. You would be better off with a Colorado or Ranger.

Dead on. That's why the crappy Fiat 0500 is gone. Fiat left the US once, the only reason they're back is because of Chrysler bankruptcy. And they're failing again.

What do you suppose Peugeot will do to us? (Stellantis)

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Certain markets those do well so the r&d is covered from those markets, but sales in North America for those types of vehicles is weak. As long as it's small enough for the euro markets it's viable to produce. On another note it's actually pretty good to have a small car maker tied to dodge/ram due to fuel economy requirements averaged over the range of vehicles and the penalties for being over. Those little 500s make pretty good offset credits for all our hemis.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dead on. That's why the crappy Fiat 0500 is gone. Fiat left the US once, the only reason they're back is because of Chrysler bankruptcy. And they're failing again.

What do you suppose

What do you suppose Peugeot will do to us? (Stellantis)

will do to us? (Stellantis)

Peugeot I am actually shocked is still in business. I come from a long line of hot rod builders. Wife was a learner on stick. Anyways it’s coming up on our oldest that will need something to drive through college. They get a beater. I have been weighing my options with MPG single kiddo and I hate say that I think it’s the right move for every boy, we have 5 but a Tacoma. We want something that will last into their adult life.

OP
OP
Jessica Smith

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That thing is hideous. I am assuming no Hemi option.
Front and rear hemi engines in the AWD version I think.
Lol. From the title I was thinking with the price of real estate and rent nowadays more people are sleeping in their cars like I used to when I couldn't afford a home.
No reason you can't sleep in the 4 foot bed of the Santa Cruz, as long as you prefer to fall asleep in the fetal position as you contemplate your life choices that got you to this point.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
To me if you don't want a car "and" truck buy a small pull behind trailer, 5x10 and pull it with anything you have. A whole lot cheaper. Trying to make both out of one is pretty useless to me. Hasn't worked well before, hence ranchero, elcamino and ridgeline.

grimreefer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
But they did. The Pontiac G8 sales in the U.S. started slow, but grew past what GM expected... right before they murdered Pontiac. The Chevrolet SS was also a Commodore, but sadly it seems that sedans fell victim to the poor/bland taste of the masses who preferred the soulless "cross-over" piles.

Agreed on the "Ram" 700.

Last edited:

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
But they did. The Pontiac G8 sales in the U.S. started slow, but grew past what GM expected... right before they murdered Pontiac. The Chevrolet SS was also a Commodore, but sadly it seems that sedans fell victim to the poor/bland taste of the masses who preferred the soulless "cross-over" piles.
Pontiac hurt my heart when it was gone. One of my unicorn cars is a red with ebony leather WS6 6speed. Sadly those are almost impossible to find in good condition in less you want to pay what you could get a 2nd gen Viper or C6 for.
Agreed on the "Ram" 700.
he-moab-april-action-car-show-in-moab-utah-2AF8TNW.jpg

9264c56ce9b8454b8530dbcc4e892e24.jpg

I would happily own & drive either one

I would take a Nomad any day! Those are wagons tho.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990