2014 ram 1500 5.6 with a tow package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MMSaab67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.6 hemi
What would be the largest size bumper pull camper I could safely tow with my ram it has a tow package, and i've looked at the numbers. Im not gonna lie I have no clue what all that means I just need someone to simlify for me please and thank you

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
What would be the largest size bumper pull camper I could safely tow with my ram
Towing safely depends on the person who sets up the load and is behind the wheel. It's fairly easy to get a 5K - 6K lbs trailer to tow smoothly. Going heavier than that takes more attention to detail on how the truck/trailer weight is distributed, trailer brakes are adjusted, and how well the weight distribution hitch is set up for the load.

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What are your numbers? More specifically your trucks payload? Sticker on the door. With a camper you will more then likely run out of payload before you get close to your max towing.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What would be the largest size bumper pull camper I could safely tow with my ram it has a tow package, and i've looked at the numbers. Im not gonna lie I have no clue what all that means I just need someone to simlify for me please and thank you
The very best way to do this is to load your truck of all gear, people, hitch, etc. and go to a truck scale and get both axle weights and total truck weight . First, take that total weight and subtract it from the GVWR value on your driver door jamb number found on the sticker. This is your remaining payload capacity and is used to determine the maximum trailer weight you can tow.

On a very general basis, trailer tongue weights are about 15 percent of the total trailer weight. So let's say your remaining payload capacity from above is 1,000 pounds. Your maximum trailer weight would be 1,000 / ,15 = 6,700 pounds (rounded). Of course very important to not improperly load trailer by putting more "stuff" behind trailer axles to game the tongue weight (artificially lowering it) because you will fishtail like crazy. Having a good weight distribution hitch is critical.

That is best way to figure out your capacity, especially with a 1500. You can look up payload capacity on Ram website for your truck (charts only give best case scenario, they don't speak to your specific truck) but it does not take into account any aftermarket accessories, bigger tires, gear and people, etc. so you end up having to guess at how much all that weighs. But if you don't have scales available to you, this number would be useful to start at and then you have to analyze all your add-ons and stuff and figure out whether to subtract from that base payload capacity number. Will get you to same place, but it will be a estimated remaining payload capacity so be aware. I will follow up with VIN search link, the one u had is broken, again.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The very best way to do this is to load your truck of all gear, people, hitch, etc. and go to a truck scale and get both axle weights and total truck weight . First, take that total weight and subtract it from the GVWR value on your driver door jamb number found on the sticker. This is your remaining payload capacity and is used to determine the maximum trailer weight you can tow.

On a very general basis, trailer tongue weights are about 15 percent of the total trailer weight. So let's say your remaining payload capacity from above is 1,000 pounds. Your maximum trailer weight would be 1,000 / ,15 = 6,700 pounds (rounded). Of course very important to not improperly load trailer by putting more "stuff" behind trailer axles to game the tongue weight (artificially lowering it) because you will fishtail like crazy. Having a good weight distribution hitch is critical.

That is best way to figure out your capacity, especially with a 1500. You can look up payload capacity on Ram website for your truck (charts only give best case scenario, they don't speak to your specific truck) but it does not take into account any aftermarket accessories, bigger tires, gear and people, etc. so you end up having to guess at how much all that weighs. But if you don't have scales available to you, this number would be useful to start at and then you have to analyze all your add-ons and stuff and figure out whether to subtract from that base payload capacity number. Will get you to same place, but it will be a estimated remaining payload capacity so be aware. I will follow up with VIN search link, the one u had is broken, again.

Here are working links for your equipment listing based on your VIN. Use all CAP letters...

And here is a link to see your window sticker, also based on your VIN...

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Start here:

Look up your specific ratings and capacities.

If not, look in those places that have those numbers and post your payload capacity, what configuration you have, engine, gear ratio and probably give you a rough estimate.