Catch can & CEL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4Fingers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 L Ecodiesel
In trying to keep my Ecodiesel going for a long time I installed a catch can. I used 5/8" hose the first time and soon threw a code, open crankcase vent or some such. Redid it with smaller hose, 1/2", on advice of some members on a Facebook page and still the same result. Also worried about causing oil leaks because of pressure or lack of it in the crank case. Any advise is appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.71WLZlb0wHL._AC_UL480_QL65_ML3_.jpgThis is the style of can used.

Joe Pitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you put the small filter on the top of the can? If so that is why you are pulling the code. Place the screw-in plug in the top and just run the hoses between can and the engine. If you have the plug in the top. Then check the can threads for burrs and remove them. I have heard that the finish is not that great on some of the import cans. Also make sure that the hose fittings are tight with Teflon tape.

Steel MPG Saver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I used an air/water separator for an air compressor from Harbor Freight. Works well w/o a CEL. I get about a cup of oil every 1500 miles and it was only like $15.