Catch Can Metal Inside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

expressthis13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ok so Ive had my catch can for about a month now just recently changed my oil here a couple weeks ago and have had a vararam intake for about 2 months. Anyway today I decided to empty my catch can so I could inspect it and in the bottom of the can we noticed metal particles and appeared to brass from a bearing. I do not have pictures but I am sure with so many of us having these things if this a common thing someone will tell me. Plan is to send a sample in here about a month to get analyzed. I was thinking about getting a Trinity InTune for the truck because I want to wake the truck up and make it more fun to drive and maybe get a ported throttle body. Already got the mufflex 14" and vararam intake.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Ok so Ive had my catch can for about a month now just recently changed my oil here a couple weeks ago and have had a vararam intake for about 2 months. Anyway today I decided to empty my catch can so I could inspect it and in the bottom of the can we noticed metal particles and appeared to brass from a bearing. I do not have pictures but I am sure with so many of us having these things if this a common thing someone will tell me. Plan is to send a sample in here about a month to get analyzed. I was thinking about getting a Trinity InTune for the truck because I want to wake the truck up and make it more fun to drive and maybe get a ported throttle body. Already got the mufflex 14" and vararam intake.

Did the vararam give you better mpg's?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You sure the metal in the can wasn't there when you installed it from its tappings or something? Hard to imagine metal particles making it thru the pcv valve. I would imagine the stuff in the catch can would be kind of distilled from the engine oil.

OP
OP
E

expressthis13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I don't think so but I cant be certain. I will send off a sample of my oil to be tested here in about a month. As far as MPGs with the intake I haven't noticed anything.

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I would immediately drop your oil filter and check it to see if there's anything metallic in there. Yeah you will have to do another oil change but its cheap insurance cause if you let that go for a while you could be in deep crap. If there is ANYTHING in the oil filter I would call the dealership immediately as you could have catastrophic engine failure.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How many miles are on your truck? Any engine while breaking in will have some metal particles in the oil. I find it harder to believe they made it through the PCV system m'self.

Unless you flushed out the catch can before install, I'd be about 98% certain that's what they came from.

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
^^ I am assuming this is not his first oil change tho being a 2013. if it is then you are correct.

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fine metal in your catch can will most likely come from head/valves. Normal on a new engine breaking in and will pass through the PCV. If you find it in your pan oil, is to be concerned.

Ramguy65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had a catch can for 2yrs and never had any metal in it. That would worry me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD