CB Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Firesticks aren't the greatest antenna to begin with, but it depends how deep the cuts are.

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OP are you running LED lights or HIDs? Because that will cause a lot of feedback.

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's probably a combination of where you mounted your antenna, your antenna ground, and antenna tuning.

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What was your SWR using the meter you got a few posts back?

OP
OP
Bird

Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't remember exactly but I think the highest was 1.5. I had originally planned to fine tune it when I went up north last weekend. But I haven't gotten to it unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check your ground. How is the antenna mounted?

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's on the bed rail, bed liner was removed and already checked and have a proper ground.

Where and how do you have it grounded? If it's just the mount to the bed rail that's your problem.

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You probably need to run some ground straps from your bed to your frame if your just grounding it on the bed rail.

OP
OP
Bird

Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alright, next time I'll get a chance I'll recheck the swrs and ground and see if I can find a fix. I have another antenna laying around I can test too.

OP
OP
Bird

Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was running it last night on the way home though I took the back way out if the city and didn't get much static for most of the trip

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ground your bed to your frame on both sides. I haven't crawled under my truck but I do not believe the bed is properly grounded. I know the cab is....or get yourself a Wilson 1000 mag mount antenna and stick it on the roof to hear the difference (make sure you tune it first).

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just re-read the original post. You said that the noise was in between transmissions. Does this mean that receiving and transmitting was good? If so, it sounds like you just need to play around with your squelch and volume. Atmospheric conditions will vary the amount of static noise you hear between transmissions. The amount of noise you hear during a receiving transmission will be dependent on how far away the sender is, how well his equipment is setup, and how well your antenna is setup. Sometimes atmospheric conditions will allow you to hear someone clearly from another state while local transmissions (receiving) sound worse in comparison. It can change based on conditions.

Having said all that again, eliminating variables on your end starts with a good antenna (optimally mounted for best performance, properly grounded, and tuned - there's nothing wrong with firestick). Then using quality coax and connectors.

danmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Does it make a difference to plug the 12v on the lighter plug and plugged directly to the battery ?

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Power

Ive got a bone to pick with guys who run amps on their radios. Not only is it stupid and illegal, it can cause interference on other radio frequencies, like marine,air, fire/ems/police.

I run a police scanner (legal in my stare) so I can avoid road hazards and traffic jams. I drive a 1500 Ram that gets 16 cruising at 65, I dont
speed because I cant afford it at the pump.

I've heard people as far down as Texas on my cb. Those guys I cant hear on my scanner, but the guys running them in Kentucky, I can hear ultra loud static on my police radio, followed by an officer asking for a repeat.

The use of trunked radio systems has helped with this, but as higher power amplifiers from china are being used, the noise on emergency and air channels is jumping.

I absolutely hate people who amp up their CBs. If you want that kind of power move to armature radi like the rest of us who domt like the 4W AM transmit limit. or get yourself a radio that supports sing side band and legally broadcasts at 12W.

Ill tell you from experiemce, 2-meter radio is way more fun than CB (also known as ham radio)

Reason for what you describe is cause the amp and radio are not matched right and it becomes a splatter box meaning its set on one channel but bleeds over..

15/20 mi is not unheard of on a 4 watt radio,you dont NEED any amp to do it...Some say aww if my swr is low im all good,your not...More to it than just swr....Counterpoise,resonance,reflect,electrical and rf grounding and many other issues can be had even with low swr and still not get out far...

Just for fun op,pull that ant off your fender or where ever it was mounted and center it on your roof(use a magnet mount) and i bet you will easily tripple if not more your range...

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree with this, I run my CB every day, but it's bone stock and I'm not going to touch it. I was running down I10 last week and picking someone up in Hawaii talking on a CB about what he had done mod wise to it. I here a guy all the time in LA at a CB shop jackin' his jaw trying to sell CB equipment. We have a real problem here with the Mexicans taking over channel 9 where it's not able to be properly utilized.

What you most likely hear is called skip...Its atmospheric conditions that make it happen......
Ham is actually 2,10,11,12 up to 80 or higher meter...

AGAIN the reason why you hear so much garbage from one fella on 2,3,4,5 channels is cause of his scatter box...

I have talked to texas from montreal canada,south carolina,georgia all on less than 10-15 watts from my stryker 955...Its all in the set up and tune...You want a radio set up right??
Home message him through fb under mark sherman..

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
amps

Thing is, more than half of them speak spanish. For all we know they could be in mexico. What I do know, is i've been in my truck listening to EMS dispatchers with my trunking capable radio, and for a good minute there was nothing but static on any of the channels used by my local EMS and fire.

That interference added a whole minute to the response time of what I followed on my radio to be an elderly woman having heart attack. After the static was gone, they ambulance had to re ask for directions because they were cut off the first time.

I am ******* pissed at anyone who uses an illegal booster. Goto armature radio and buy boosters there that are legitimate and DONT interfere with the 911 system.

God this makes me mad. You dont want to know how many CBs I ripped from truckers vehicles while I was working at Kenworth because they had illegal booster. I wasnt nice about it either. I took every piece of hardware and smashed it before throwing it out.

I guess your ticked off all the time then....Faster than factory cars,planes that fly faster and higher ect ect.......It is what it is..Its not gonna change but the people who use those amps need to have them tuned correctly with correct tools so they dont spatter..