CB Radio mounting location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RangerWeaver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7L
Quick question if anyone is willing. Could someone get the measurements from the sides of the upper stake hole pockets to where the bed rail/bed starts to slope down?
I purchased an extended stake hole antenna mount to clear the topper, I just need to make some bends in it to get under the lip of the topper.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Different companies make swivel mounts for your CB antenna
Stand it up when you need to use the radio
Lay it down to enter a structure with a restricted height

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine

Socalramfan or anyone else up fairly close to Ontario California​

If you need your CB tuned, you can't do better than http://www.superiorcb.com/

I have had 3 truckers CBs fixed & or tuned by them

The Ranger CB that i use just was not getting out the way it should have
The radio was set up right & the cable was just the right length, i thought the SWR was just right.
The tuned the Ranger up & i reinstalled it, the outside installer came up & double checked everything,
Then he cut 2 1/2" off of the Big Wilson antenna, then he checked it again & cut off another 3/4"
He said that the SWR was as close to perfect as it could be

Actually stopped by Superior CB today.

Very knowledgeable and fair prices. I’ll be dropping mine off for the ‘Hotrod’ treatment :cool:

Thanks for the referral GTyankee :waytogo:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Socalramfan

I have 3 CBs that i had them "Tune"

I waited for for some of the work to be done

I stood in the room where they have the equipment & stock radios displayed for maybe 90 minutes.
I was outside for maybe another hour, i had to disassemble the full floor console, remove the radio, take it into the shop & went back out & rerouted a few wires, so the install would go faster, if the radios should have to be switched out quickly while on a job.

I also bought custom power cords, longer than normal, for using a couple of brands of Handheld CBs that i have as rentals to the Highway Patrol, there are times that none of the Squad Cars on our job, have a CB.
Most times the They send out a Sergeant & his car will have a CB. If they send out a POLAR BEAR, ( DOT Inspector ), they have CBs also.

There was one guy that bought in at least 10 of larger CBs & a couple of Base Stations.
I think that he goes to all the swap meets & buys CB radios & equipment, then gets the CBs repaired at the shop, then sells them Online. They knew him by name.
A couple of truckers were parked out on the street, they were waiting on the TECH that does the outside work.
They also had 2 TECHs back in the shop & the owner was working the paperwork & doing modifications in a small side room

Last edited:

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Socalramfan

I have 3 CBs that i had them "Tune"

I waited for for some of the work to be done

I stood in the room where they have the equipment & stock radios displayed for maybe 90 minutes.
I was outside for maybe another hour, i had to disassemble the full floor console, remove the radio, take it into the shop & went back out & rerouted a few wires, so the install would go faster, if the radios should have to be switched out quickly while on a job.

I also bought custom power cords, longer than normal, for using a couple of brands of Handheld CBs that i have as rentals to the Highway Patrol, there are times that none of the Squad Cars on our job, have a CB.
Most times the They send out a Sergeant & his car will have a CB. If they send out a POLAR BEAR, ( DOT Inspector ), they have CBs also.

There was one guy that bought in at least 10 of larger CBs & a couple of Base Stations.
I think that he goes to all the swap meets & buys CB radios & equipment, then gets the CBs repaired at the shop, then sells them Online. They knew him by name.
A couple of truckers were parked out on the street, they were waiting on the TECH that does the outside work.
They also had 2 TECHs back in the shop & the owner was working the paperwork & doing modifications in a small side room

Yes, met with Chris. Very down to earth guy. Said it would take maybe 2 hours. So I’ll just drop it off next week, give him a heads up the day before, go have lunch with a buddy and pick it up.

Today I’m going to pull the trigger and cut into the forward part of the console to accommodate the cab, and the additional 3” Chris said I’d need for a heat sync.

After some thought, this is would be the most practical for me: ( saw it online)

Need to find a trim frame as shown to keep it all ‘clean’ :waytogo:

419B3302-93FD-4980-B189-08750BC39E93.jpeg

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I had a 2009 Ram with a CB & i kept the same setup with my current 2016 Ram

My Ranger radio has a good size heat sink on the bottom.
With the console being encased, i went with a Squirrel Cage Fan mounted to the floor of the cab, it powers on with the CB

1655412117357.png

1655412239882.png

1655412312557.png

1655412358784.png

1655412410582.png

1655412477911.png

1655412581852.png

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
I had a 2009 Ram with a CB & i kept the same setup with my current 2016 Ram

My Ranger radio has a good size heat sink on the bottom.
With the console being encased, i went with a Squirrel Cage Fan mounted to the floor of the cab, it powers on with the CB

View attachment 495554

View attachment 495555

View attachment 495556

View attachment 495557

View attachment 495558

View attachment 495559

View attachment 495560

Good pics.

where did you end up attaching the 2 straps below…..

01AAFC88-C058-4BC3-9E4D-A99D2506D6A2.jpeg

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
IN this image, i had not yet used the saw to cut the area where you see the white plug

The part of the radio in the image is the back bottom, if you were to rotate the radio 180 degrees, the knobs would be facing up & the underside of the metal straps would be resting on the uncut portion of the plastic, it is held in place by 2 sheet metal screws.
I thought that i had an image of the radio in place, but without the console cover on, but i did not see it.

You can see the straps here & radio is right side up

1655441737450.png
if you can imagine pointing the knobs almost straight up, that would have the straps laying horizontal in the cut out plastic area

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
IN this image, i had not yet used the saw to cut the area where you see the white plug

The part of the radio in the image is the back bottom, if you were to rotate the radio 180 degrees, the knobs would be facing up & the underside of the metal straps would be resting on the uncut portion of the plastic, it is held in place by 2 sheet metal screws.
I thought that i had an image of the radio in place, but without the console cover on, but i did not see it.

You can see the straps here & radio is right side up

View attachment 495607
if you can imagine pointing the knobs almost straight up, that would have the straps laying horizontal in the cut out plastic area

That does help, and gives me another view.

I cut out and trimmed the area where it will sit. Took forever as I didn’t want to ’over cut’ an area either.

Tomorrow I’ll take another fresh look and se how it can be attached so it’s not bouncing around, and provide at least a little theft protection :waytogo:

Krazyrican

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Has anyone tried to mount it on the headliner hump? I have a Tradesman and my headliner have a hump where the more expensive trucks trims have all the controls for the sunroof and a sunglasses compartment, stuff that my trim do not have. The hump looks like it would fit my Bearcat.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Has anyone tried to mount it on the headliner hump? I have a Tradesman and my headliner have a hump where the more expensive trucks trims have all the controls for the sunroof and a sunglasses compartment, stuff that my trim do not have. The hump looks like it would fit my Bearcat.

That was one of the locations I considered, decided to pass on it, as any attachment points would meant drilling through the roof.

The headliner just does not have the attachment points, nor the strength to cover the weight.

Last edited: