Centre caps on Fuel Hostages all broke off within 24 hours!!! What to do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudpuppy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All four center caps busted off the rims within 24 hours of getting them. We all assumed that during installation they were over tightened. So dealer replaced all of the caps free of charge which we had put back on Monday. Today one of the new ones busted off. I just cant believe this. Don't know what to do. Those tires and rims came close to $3000 installed.:mad:

smarsmar101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cold weather have something to do with it? try leaving them off threw the winter?

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Maybe somebody else needed them more than you?

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

smarsmar101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And you said they were over tightened? Maybe the threads on wheels got stripped when first tightened now is causing them to (fall/break) off?

OP
OP
Mudpuppy

Mudpuppy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I called Fuel and they said they have not heard of this happening and they also think it's an issue of over tightening so I guess we''ll just get a new one and see. I don't want to trade these wheels in for another type I really love them.

Ramunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got 10 bucks says they tightened them with an impact wrench.

OP
OP
Mudpuppy

Mudpuppy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got 10 bucks says they tightened them with an impact wrench.

My husband just said only a retard would do that. But I'll ask when I go back to get the replacement. I'm so f'n upset about this.

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hope they get this fixed for you. This is why I hate to take my vehicles anywhere. Some people shouldn't be allowed around tools.

sausec17

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
just look at the threads..

Put a screw or 2 in there of the same size and see what happens. If they fit tightly leave them in over the next few days.

If they fall out the threads are f'd...

OP
OP
Mudpuppy

Mudpuppy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
just look at the threads..

Put a screw or 2 in there of the same size and see what happens. If they fit tightly leave them in over the next few days.

If they fall out the threads are f'd...

The threads are fine its the plastic that's breaking off. Because the screws are still in there each time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mudpuppy

Mudpuppy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
UNREAL...they're all f'ed again. Went to take the remining ones off and they all pretty much fell off and the plastic fractued and crumbly. I can't believe it. Fml

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Sounds like they were over torqued, a lot.

smarsmar101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They were tightened too much and now the plastic is cracked. You "should just be able to buy new ones and make sure you "snug" them up.... do it yourself this time to make sure.

OP
OP
Mudpuppy

Mudpuppy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pics of the wheels and caps?

Here's a pic. I just don't know what to do but order another set and wait till spring to put them on. I don't think they were over tightened this time because that is what we all thought happened the first time, so you'd think they'd be careful.

The only thing I can think of is that they are cracking due to the cold.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 1,021

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Have you dealt with the shop much or is it new to you? Just curious because I've seen some stupid stuff done, just to be done again. I could see some ******** kid running them in like lug nuts. Sounds harsh, but I've seen some dumb stuff come out of a "garage".

Either way, don't think I'd accept paying for another set for a brand new set of wheels. If they are breaking because of the cold, Fuel needs to make better products. If they're braking from torque, you need a new garage. Hope the next set works out for you.

StevoTee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just got Fuel wheels as well and have been in -30degC weather. Haven't had any problem with them. I didn't install them, but the guy that did, I trust his work.

Due to the fact that 2 sets have broken, it's hard to say it's a material issue. They're easy to put on, only 2 little screws, get them to supply and you install yourself.

pd298

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have lost center caps twice. The second time I backtracked and found the centercap, because I learned the first time they are fifty bucks to replace. I try and avoid as many bumps and hard turns as I can to try and avoid losing a centercap.

As for your problem, maybe don't torque them down so much and try some thread lock maybe.

StevoTee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have lost center caps twice. The second time I backtracked and found the centercap, because I learned the first time they are fifty bucks to replace. I try and avoid as many bumps and hard turns as I can to try and avoid losing a centercap.

As for your problem, maybe don't torque them down so much and try some thread lock maybe.

Thread lock is a good idea!

BeastieBoys21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow...what a crock..I'd try to do them yourself and try some thread lock like said above...best bet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk