Change coil spring or add airlift on ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ultivssl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
That is my worry with the cheaper bags like that. Springs dont really care what the temperature is :)

haha yeah, that's why I'm looking at springs. But I don't know what the current spring rate is in the Outdoorsman because I heard they're different. I also just confirmed I had a cracked bag late yesterday too.

twooldfarmers

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello,

I have a ram 1500 2017. I bought a 6500lbs travel trailer. I don't want too much sag on the back of my truck. I wonder if I would be better to change my coils springs for more HD (tufftruck 1223v) because I will only tow a few times a year, or if I install a kit like the airlift loadlifter 5000 that I will inflate when I need it. What do you think is the best option?
Air Lift 1000
Plus load equalizer hitch
Leave your ride the same
Heavy coils will heat you up

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

jester139

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah I had the airlift 1000lbs bags that go inside the springs and they worked amazing. I don't pull too heavy of a trailer (3k gvw) but I use them when I'm hauling anything in the bed of the truck.

The caveat is these don't like cold weather. I installed mine last spring and this past winter they cracked from the cold (got down to -50c) and I kept them at 10psi when not hauling anything.

I'm now looking at a different set of bags for the truck, just to keep the thing level.

I don't get anything from Timber Grove (other than good service and products), but I ran mine for 2 winters in CO with overnight/morning temps below zero in the mountains and never had an issue. Not sure of the difference between them and airlift.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
I transport Airsteams other TTs and boats commercially with my 1500 ED sometimes with a motorcyle or other in the bed. 660k miles all over continental US 12 months a year. This debate will never be settled each has some pros & cons better for certain situations. Best all around combination for me has been a quality WDH with built in sway control plus quality axle to frame airbags. Use the CAT scale to dial in your front axle weight and tongue weight percentage by adjusting WDH and distribution of weight in your trailer & or bed.
Then enough air pressure to get the ride rear suspension support and control you want.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
What is with all this airbags are a "band-aid" BS? Some cranky old fart with a bad comb over started this falsehood and everyone loves to parrot it all over the internet like some religion.

As a reminder, the highest end class A diesel pusher chassis use airbags as suspension because it's the best riding, most capable system there is. We'd all be so lucky to have this "band-aid" for our trucks. The idea of installing HD springs that jar your fillings loose for occasional towing is crazy.

O.K. I never said a word till now, HD trucks will start swaying side to side with air bags once a while. Maybe new ones have computers running stabilization? One day when I was in the dealership, getting something checked ,one of the guys was pulling a factory bag out of a 1/2ton, Asked him what he thought of the air ride, and he said it would be great down south, but at -30 or -40 they are a PITA Band aid B.S. ?
Well I guess it is as your truck is not spect. to your load, but that is beside the point

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
I don't get anything from Timber Grove (other than good service and products), but I ran mine for 2 winters in CO with overnight/morning temps below zero in the mountains and never had an issue. Not sure of the difference between them and airlift.
ebay has a 91 mm cheep new works great done right if u want to see something cool a little more power love better pick up on mine going up hill full power ! old racer guy so my new toy last year for the truck !

Lee R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello,

I have a ram 1500 2017. I bought a 6500lbs travel trailer. I don't want too much sag on the back of my truck. I wonder if I would be better to change my coils springs for more HD (tufftruck 1223v) because I will only tow a few times a year, or if I install a kit like the airlift loadlifter 5000 that I will inflate when I need it. What do you think is the best option?
I went with the AirLift 1000HD. It is 2100lbs capacity and it goes inside the coul spring. I have a 6000lb travel trailer but the tongue weight is well under the 2100lb capacity.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

The Airlift 1000 Bags are garbage in Canadian weather. Mine lasted 2 years before they gave out. Thats why I switch to the Timbrens.

calinb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2016
Engine
3.7 6-cyl, 6.7 Cummins
That is my worry with the cheaper bags like that. Springs dont really care what the temperature is :)
I don't know about your application but I'll weigh-in ;) here, regardless. When I moved my camper from my 2004 Ram 1500 (leaf springs) to my new Cummins 2016 Ram 2500 Bighorn (coil springs) six years ago, the 2500 would rock side-to-side on straight roadway at 50 plus mph. I installed Air Lift bags with the heavy duty onboard pump, right/left check valve, and two inflation valves at the rear license plate screw holes as a backup.

Although air bags inherently provide a progressive spring rate (the coils are progressive on the 2500 too), the additional stiffness nearly completely eliminated the rocking and I've even flat-towed our CRV behind it at up to 90 mph on the high speed interstates of Idaho and Utah in perfect comfort and control.

Had the price not been so right on the 2500, I would've bought a 3500 for its leaf springs, which is clearly what works best for truck mounted campers, but I have no regrets since I installed the air bags (which also allow me to level the camper perfectly very easily with air when parked, as long as I put the back end on the slightly downhill side).

Perhaps most significantly to this post, I've camped extensively during the winter months in Northern Idaho and Montana in it (skiing and hunting trips) and never had any problems during extreme cold conditions. This was my first airbag purchased (having used helper springs in the past) and I have no financial interest in Air Lift and I purchased the airbags from an online dealer during a factory rebate offer.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
O.K. I never said a word till now, HD trucks will start swaying side to side with air bags once a while. Maybe new ones have computers running stabilization? One day when I was in the dealership, getting something checked ,one of the guys was pulling a factory bag out of a 1/2ton, Asked him what he thought of the air ride, and he said it would be great down south, but at -30 or -40 they are a PITA Band aid B.S. ?
Well I guess it is as your truck is not spect. to your load, but that is beside the point

I really wasn't meaning to disparage a certain set of springs of springs in general. My point is the concept of tougher springs to support a load that isn't always in the truck. It would be like insisting on wearing work boots all the time because they are tougher than sandals. True and great while logging... not so great while walking on the beach.

As for my truck being "spect." to my load - I run right at the 3000# payload limit with my 5th and it does okay. The bags just stiffen up the hinge point between truck and trailer a bit and help the ride over uneven surfaces. I don't run bags because of sag. Half-ton experiences are usually different in that when loaded up to max payload the headlights are pointing at the sky. Don't get me wrong - I'm jealous and wish my HD had a soft rear end and rode like a 1500. My unloaded ride is definitely roughly than I'd like due to the HD springs.

redvetram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6 3.7
I’ve got a 2019 1500 Classic and I tow a 7000+ lb horse trailer on a regular basis (at least 1/3 of my total miles). I installed Airlift 5000 ultimate plus airbags and do not use a WDH. This airbag is the model with the stainless steel air lines and internal jounce . Been on thousands of miles of everything from highways to very rough, washerboard/pothole forest service roads. Never any issues with the airbags and it really smooths out the ride. It’s also nice not to be getting high beam flashes at night cause my truck isn’t riding high in the front.

I figured out what PSI I need for any scenario (1 horse vs 2 horses vs fully loaded with camping gear), so it’s easy to inflate the bags. I’ve got a portable compressor that plugs into my cig lighter. If money was no object, I would get an automatic remote control on board compressor, but the portable one works fine.

redvetram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6 3.7
I noticed that AirLift bags can be inflated to 50 PSI compared to 35 max on Firestone BAGS. I just may go this route. How much have you inflated your up to?

ive got the airlift 5000 bags on my 1500. I run them at 40psi when towing my 7000 lb horse trailer. (A little more if I have the bed loaded with camping gear)

Last edited:

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
50psi seems crazy to me. I've had tongue weights to about 1,200 plus stuff in the bed but always did so with a WDH. I've had a pallet of tile to 2,400 pounds in the bed of my softly sprung 4th gen 1500 and never needed used more than 22 psi in my axle to frame bags. Brand name was TLC and they use a large convoluted bag made by Goodyear. Timbergrove's & Airlift 5,000 are similar in design & location. Wonder if its just a smaller lighter bag or bag design that you could ever use something like 50 psi in an axle to frame set up. I get it if its the thin flimsy in coil bags just not with axle to frame setups.

On another note. Unfortunately lots of people come to airbags because of "sag" when they load their softly sprung 1500. When what they usually need first & foremost if the sag is due to towing is a WDH. Lots of people give no thought or have no understanding of the need & value of weight distribution to their axles. I have my airbags for bed loads but also for suspension support control & dampening when towing with say 1,000 pounds of tongue weight & or additionally with stuff in the bed.

The better suspension support/control and dampening with that weight is night and day better when you hit rough groovy road. Might like to improve the stance and ride as well. But if you are buying bags "to fix sag" when towing you don't yet understand their actual value and what your real underlying problem is and in that scenario it is a band aid. Dig my airbags but often they are bought & misused as a band aid.

Last edited:

Jerseybob175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
iI have the same truck. After doing tons of research, I put in the airlift 5000 and purchased the Anderson sway hitch. It was a great match for my fully loaded trailer. As others have said, each item serves ad different purpose. I would not buy anything different. JMHO.

Ktstull

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I noticed that AirLift bags can be inflated to 50 PSI compared to 35 max on Firestone BAGS. I just may go this route. How much have you inflated your up to?

With a full tank of water, two bins of firewood, two dogs, two people, an 8000# travel trailer, a leveled truck and a WD hitch, I’m running them at 42psi. Dad and I also noticed we needed new spring bars for the WD systems so I figure once they come in, I’d be able to run a lower PSI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enscheff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Add these: https://timbergroveenterprises.com/0920-ram-1500-crm

It comes with brass air line couplers, and is very easy to install yourself. Run your air line valve to the back and have it poke out from the plastic around the license plate.

Get one of these so you can plug your air compressor into the 12v trailer plug:

https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Draw-Tite/118019.html

When you get tired of manually airing the bags up and down, add a wireless air compressor and splice it into the air lines:

https://www.amazon.com/Air-Lift-25980-WirelessONE-Generation/dp/B07FFBXR46

Definitely get the 2nd gen as it is much quieter when the compressor fires up (my 1st gen screams like it about to explode).

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if you live in cold climate skip the airlift 1000's, I had a failure as well.

I went 1223V springs, I don't tow or haul often but I don't want drastic squat when I do.

Ideal set up would be better rear springs with WDH or Sumosprings/timbrens w/ WDH. Less parts to fail/leak

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have used Timbrens and they are horrible!! They sit on the axle and bounce you and the passengers like an eggbeater. Airbags are a bandaid and not a good idea. I purchased and now use XHD coils in the rear and they are terrific!! I tow a 7000# travel trailer. Nice and level now and rides perfect with no squat. I use a WDH hitch Blue Ox.
I disagree about them being a bandaid. The semi I drive has springs as well as bags. Seems like a good combination, and one that works.

JayLuke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7L
It depends on your situation. I tow, off road, drive around town with the family, ect. so I found that the air lift 1000HD plus a WDH on the toy hauler worked best for me because it gave me the most suspension travel along with the flexibility to adjust the stiffness.