Check your intake manifold bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ic3man5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Checked mine today, I don’t have a small torque wrench but followed your advice with the 1/4” drive. Most were tight but did get a couple that turned 3/4 to 1 turn to feel as tight as the rest. I decided to leave the engine cover off. Thanks for the tip Wildone!
I originally did the same and my "hand tight" only put them at about 50-60in-lbs FYI. It was enough to not throw codes but wasn't good enough.

ic3man5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
You need to work out a bit more,if all you can crank on a bolt with a 1/4" rachet is 5 lb-ft/60 inch-lbs,lol.
haha, I beat it with a purse first so I was a bit tired before hand. I'm used to 7-8ft-lbs so I tighten it just enough before the torque wrench comes in. Mine all took 3-4 turns before I even got to that point, I didn't want to crush the gasket or plastic (assuming that can happen - I haven't taken it apart to see) and I've been known to break bolts and strip stuff.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Damn, I gotta check mine on my next oil change.
haha, I beat it with a purse first so I was a bit tired before hand.......
If that purse was packed like my Wife's, I'll bet you were tired.

Was out with the Wife and Grandson. He asked me where my 'balls' were. I said they were in MeMe's purse.......lol.

My Wife didn't think it was as funny as the Grandson and I did.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn, I gotta check mine on my next oil change.

If that purse was packed like my Wife's, I'll bet you were tired.

Was out with the Wife and Grandson. He asked me where my 'balls' were. I said they were in MeMe's purse.......lol.

My Wife didn't think it was as funny as the Grandson and I did.
U liable to get whopped in the head for that comment, lmao. Or worse, pillow talk, dangerous waters you be a swimming in, LOL.

(Can U whisper Lorena Bobbitt, lmao)

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The ladies' hold all the power over us men.
True, why, cause men not know how to HUSH and let all the secrets out, some could cause body dismemberment. Because we all think we are invincible and NEVA read instructions, hee hee, LMAO. :D:eek::anitoof::banghead:

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The ladies' hold all the power over us men.
There is also another VERY important reason, I'll leave that answer to People's imaginations. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :33::angels25:

army turk1.JPG

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Don't FFFFF with the woman!
Especially if she's ur wifey...then she's the BOSS!
Us men know the deal.... if we want some.... we comply!!!

It's like Codes and Regulations; you may be able to walk a little out of parameters at times, but, be dang sure that if ya try and deviate from Codes and Regulations, the Authority Having Jurisdiction will inevitably be aware (or made aware) and lay down the law!

(that, and 50% or more is a big price to pay.... so just FN comply ;))
If you signed up for it, you had better know what you signed up for...just saying!!

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will relate my personal experience. I installed a 6.4 intake on my 5.7 back a few months ago. At the time of install, I torqued and doublechecked every bolt. Now several months later…I was getting a stored code for lean on bank 1 and my idle wasn’t as smooth as it should be. Yesterday I whipped out my lil torque wrench and checked. Everyone of the bolts were loose. All needed a minimun of a 180 degree rotation.
Moral of the story, CHECK YOUR INTAKE BOLTS!

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Ah, $hit - another quirky maintenance item.

I missed this somehow. Even with dissimilar materials you'd think they would use a prevailing torque clamp to handle the thermal cycling.

Thanks @Wild one

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ah, $hit - another quirky maintenance item.

I missed this somehow. Even with dissimilar materials you'd think they would use a prevailing torque clamp to handle the thermal cycling.

Thanks @Wild one
I check them every oil change,i just use a 5/16" nutdriver ,if i can move them with it,out come the tools to tighten the bolts properly.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's not something I've heard about, and a google search brings up zero results for retorquing Hemi intake manifold bolts. Since the Hemi is mostly unchanged from 4th gens to 5th gens I figure there would be something out there about it. Care to share any information about this issue?
Oh yeah, that's been a big thing for many years. but me I would buy new bolts and reinstall one at a time, because the old one has a tendency to break off, and then it,s work to get the broken bolt out.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Oh yeah, that's been a big thing for many years. but me I would buy new bolts and reinstall one at a time, because the old one has a tendency to break off, and then it,s work to get the broken bolt out.
You're the only guy i've heard of breaking one,and didn't you use the wrong torque spec when you twisted it off.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here is the torque sequence

View attachment 510854

Yes it is the car manifold as the TB faces the drivers side.

It also fixes the P219-A and P219-B if you wind up with those codes.
My 2016 Ram Laramie had the intake manifold bolts so loose that I was able to turn them with my fingers and the truck was only two years old at the time, traded it in since. I believe they are torqued to 11 or 12 pounds only.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You're the only guy i've heard of breaking one,and didn't you use the wrong torque spec when you twisted it off.
Go to bed Mr. Mayor, kick the dog slap the wife, or have a beer but you don't know how to be civil when engaging in a chat room. also never said I broke one Can't you read Put your glasses on

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
My 2016 Ram Laramie had the intake manifold bolts so loose that I was able to turn them with my fingers and the truck was only two years old at the time, traded it in since. I believe they are torqued to 11 or 12 pounds only.
Now i know why you broke one off,the torque spec is 108 inch pounds or 9 ft-lbs,not 12 ft-lbs,as you're reconmending.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Go to bed Mr. Mayor, kick the dog slap the wife, or have a beer but you don't know how to be civil when engaging in a chat room. also never said I broke one Can't you read Put your glasses on
Nobody mentions breaking off an intake manifold bolt,or claims they have a tendency to break unless they've broke one.Somebody on here broke one awhile ago,by using the wrong torque spec,and needed help removing the broken bolt,and for some reason i think it was you dude :waytogo:
BTW i am being civil,it's you who seems to have issues :Big Laugh:

Last edited: