Chrysler screwed me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rodrigo2500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Turbo Diesel
2018 ram 2500 6.4 hemi 60711 miles something happened to the motor and valves got stuck and messed up the cam got my oil changed every time the light came on used Mobil one 0-40 synthetic they denied my warranty cost is 4,930.00 as of now but they denied it saying wrong oil was used and idle hours was too high and maintenance wasn’t done properly I bought this truck used with 25000 on it I’m very disappointed with Chrysler on this the dealership I took it too has had it for a month saying they was waiting on Chrysler to give yes or no for warranty when we got the answer no it had almost been there a month and the dealership did not have my back or fight for me at all I am very disappointed in how this was handled and how I’m being treated is there anything else I can do on this beside just get screwed

Chrysler has been having problems with the 5.7 valve and cam "issues" and according to your valve and cam problem it may be necessary for you to enter you complaint to any of the Governmental recording agents, like your Rep in the House of Representatives, state and federal. I'm aware know of two instances where a 5.7 "HEMIs" had to be replaced, both out of pickups and these were posted with Georgia's and Federal agencies. PS: The engines had over 80,000 mile rottenly maintained.

Last edited:

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Had same issue with a Cadillac XT5. Dealer said it was the Texas storm. I said let me get this straight. You do sell these in states that begin with the letter M. Minn, Mich, Montana and God forbid Canada. Went and bought a new Grand Cherokee Summit. That makes my family 2 Grands, a 1500 Limited and a Kia Gerble for my wife. I would ask if your car was sold in the M states.

That is what I told dealership 1. They are awful anyways. We went and looked at a Durango their a few years ago and awful customer service and sales department. Where we go, they take care of us. I have a buddy about to buy a used Viper and when he asked where to take it, without question its our dealership. Plus it doesn't hurt that I have seen them servicing several of them over the past few years lol.

Rodrigo2500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Turbo Diesel
Chrysler has been having problems with the 5.7 valve and cam "issues" and according to your valve and cam problem it may be necessary for you to enter you complaint to any of the Governmental recording agents state and federal Representatives state and federal. I'm aware of two instances where a 5.7 "HEMIs" engines had to be replaced, both out of pickups and these were reported to Georgia's and Federal agencies.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oil analysis can be a tricky thing, sometimes.
I had a friend that the Ram dealer told him to bring his Ram 1500 so they could check the engine oil to see if they would honor the warranty.
My friend thought he would screw with his truck’s oil hoping the oil analysis lab would just be so confused that they would give up and allow the warranty under any situation.
My friend put some oil from his lawn mower into the truck’s crankcase, also he had his wife and daughter pee in a bottle and he poured that into the oil as as well. Then he drove his Ram to the dealer service center and left it there to work on.
Later that week, he got a call from the service center manager.
The service manger told my friend they had results from the oil analysis.
The service manager said, he was using Walmart brand 5w-30 bought at super Walmart on July 1st at 3:13 pm, the truck was 317.3 miles past his last scheduled oil change, he needed to ‘weed and feed’ his lawn, his daughter has a case of the clap, and his wife was pregnant again and it will be another girl.
He also told my friend he has some good news for him. The service manager said, “The good news is, the kid is yours, this time.”

Last edited:

mtwofeathers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
This is very true.

I also agree here if all else fails. I run Castrol Edge in my Ram with no issues. I really think I am one of the lucky ones as to never have had the Hemi tick.

I used to use edge, now I use MAGNATEC, seems to not drain down as much and with the eventual tic our engines eventually get, both Castrol edge and Castrol gtx magnates seem to fill that void. Even tho they claim their grade spec works. Too many times I've seen it fail.
I only have one gasser fortunately. Kinda glad the rest are million mile engines.

Octane

Reaction score
Why would anyone wait to change the oil until they get the light on the dash?

BTW, an oil analysis can tell alot, even the oil used (mobil1, Pennzoil etc) depends on the lab used... Since all oil is formulated differently, the analysis would show this. My Ex is a Chemist, used to work at Pennzoil, they would analyze and stress test competitors oil all the time.
Waiting for a light on the dash to appear reminds me of my silly niece when she was young. She would drive the car till it ran low on oil and oil pressure light come on. Her dad would tell her to park it till she could get some oil in it. Then later sneak to the store anyway to buy a Coke, and come back and tell him well, Daddy, I was just going to the store and right back.lol

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For all you owners who show loyalty to the dealer to get your work done, I can tell you as a Chrysler line tech for quite a few years in one of our largest dealerships, it literally does you no good. I've seen warranty denied for just about every stupid reason under the sun including oil changes that were done religiously at the dealer. The owners following every recommended service and in the end it did them no good. I'm a firm believer in lawyers now because I've seen so many good customers get the shaft.

Engine Oil Selection — 6.4L
For best performance and maximum protection under all
types of operating conditions, the manufacturer only recommends engine oils that are API Certified and meet the
requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-12633.

MOBIL 1 0W-40 100% SYNTHETIC SUITABLE FOR MS-12633 6.4L HEMI USE

It meets MS-12633 Specs. Is this the oil that you used? These engines are failing due to an engineering fault, not an oil issue because so many of them are failing under the exact conditions and products they call for. Factory oil changes from day one and failing. That's not an oil issue, thats another problem.
according to Mobil1's site they do not meet MS12633. Maybe things are different in Canada but I have looked as recently as yesterday at a bottle of mobil1 and it does not say it meets ms-12633 or msA0921 and there site does not say it meets either as well. Seems if it did they would want all of us USA RAM 6.4 owners to know.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Looks like we got another one and done, complain complain complain, Chrysler sucks, waah waah waah, *VANISH*

Yeah, but it made for interesting reading, there's not much info about oil on here

Ram Vendetta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well wish you would have heeded my warning that I posted. It’s IMPERATIVE to use Penn ultra platinum 0w40 with meeting Chrysler spec MS12633 on back of bottle which as of this year has been superseded by A0921 WARNED EVERYONE that during a motor problem FIRST THING THE DEALER will do is an oil analysis. No MS12633 A0921? Warranty VOID!

Ram Vendetta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Chrysler has been having problems with the 5.7 valve and cam "issues" and according to your valve and cam problem it may be necessary for you to enter you complaint to any of the Governmental recording agents, like your Rep in the House of Representatives, state and federal. I'm aware know of two instances where a 5.7 "HEMIs" had to be replaced, both out of pickups and these were posted with Georgia's and Federal agencies. PS: The engines had over 80,000 mile rottenly maintained.
Guess you missed the part where the poster states IT’s The 6.4

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
2018 ram 2500 6.4 hemi 60711 miles something happened to the motor and valves got stuck and messed up the cam got my oil changed every time the light came on used Mobil one 0-40 synthetic they denied my warranty cost is 4,930.00 as of now but they denied it saying wrong oil was used and idle hours was too high and maintenance wasn’t done properly I bought this truck used with 25000 on it I’m very disappointed with Chrysler on this the dealership I took it too has had it for a month saying they was waiting on Chrysler to give yes or no for warranty when we got the answer no it had almost been there a month and the dealership did not have my back or fight for me at all I am very disappointed in how this was handled and how I’m being treated is there anything else I can do on this beside just get screwed

I am sorry tp hear of your problem. However ALl FCA engines have a warning that they must use a certain oil, not brand. My RAM requires a 6595 oil and several brands have that code. Mobil One was one of the last to come up to that standard. Pennzoil has been the oil that comes from the factory in all FCA engines. I have owned 21 new Chrysler made vehicles and I have never had any engine problems. Transmissions were horrid from 1992 to 2013.

I would ask to speak to the highest person you can get to, write a letter to the dealer that sold you that RAM. I would not give up, keep trying. And by all means use the oild that is required. Hope youget some help.

Pttrader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interesting thread. I own a low mileage 17' 2500 with the 6.4. When I got home I checked my idle vs drive hours and it is over 20%. Plan to stop using the remote start and put it on an idling diet! :)

Another interesting thing is that when I looked thru my owners manual it stated the pup 0w40 and MS12663 spec for the 6.4. There was no mention of Mobil 1.

If the OP's truck is an 18' then the manual may not recommend the Mobil 1 either!?
Anyway, mine goes to the dealer and gets PUP 0w40.

Tunaman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hate Monday morning quarterbacks. The real reason I stopped changing my own oil yrsagowas for several reasons.I do not really have the place to do it, it was a pain in the butt to dispose of the old oil and being honest.....! Got lazier in my old age.!
With prices today the savings doing it myself compared to the dealer is quite minimal. After reading this thread I shall continue to have it done at the dealer. The record of every service and products used are at my finger tips.
In regards to the Hemi tick.......I’ve had 3 hemis, 1 v-6 and never had it, guess I was lucky. Recently bought new F250 Super Duty, wish Ihad tried a RAM 2500.

Clayvis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
Been using Mobil 1 since 1995 in every vehicle I have ever owned including my 17 Ram 5.7 Hemi. Every vehicle I have kept long term (200,000+ miles) never had a single issue with anything engine related. Just my 2 cents.

Same here. I also use Mobil 1 20W50 V-Twin oil in my 2007 Harley....over 50k miles no issues.