Chrysler Warranty - Misfire, Lifters & Cam possible culprit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I use the synthetic on my wife’s 6.1 car and my 6.1 car, they don’t go over 3k without an oil change. And I don’t think the oil being thicker will help. It’s the cam material itself failing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What oil do you run in your 6.1?

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I ran what the manual called for 5w20, Mobil 1 Full-Syn w/ WIXXP fikter, every 5k miles

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I use whatever we run in the new SRTs. The penzoil full synthetic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep me too, running Pennzoil Ultra Performance (PUP) 0w40 in my 6.4 Ram.
Nice to have a Tech on the forum; please share your expertise and experience with us. I like to hear from a Tech on multiple situations we may all have.

OP
OP
firehawk09

firehawk09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OP I'd like to know what oil you are running?

First off, When I read this line I became curious as to what weight the OP was running. Then I realized OP is me... haha

As far as your actual question goes, I bought it used so who knows what he ran before. As for me, I've been using whatever the dealership puts in it.

When I bought it I went straight to the dealer that just did this work and bought an oil change package that they offer with the idea that this issue could happen and I would have documentation of work at the dealership.

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First off, When I read this line I became curious as to what weight the OP was running. Then I realized OP is me... haha

As far as your actual question goes, I bought it used so who knows what he ran before. As for me, I've been using whatever the dealership puts in it.

When I bought it I went straight to the dealer that just did this work and bought an oil change package that they offer with the idea that this issue could happen and I would have documentation of work at the dealership.

Now that, my friend, is smart (well, the last part...not the first part where you forgot who the OP was...that part was just funny)!

TXCOMT

OP
OP
firehawk09

firehawk09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Now that, my friend, is smart (well, the last part...not the first part where you forgot who the OP was...that part was just funny)!

TXCOMT

That part was pretty funny, even for me. And with age comes wisdom right? I had an 09 so I have had some experience with the MDS Hemi's before. So planned ahead and sure enough, the worst came to be.

I knew this could be an issue when I bought it, but I did so because I loved it. These trucks have some issues, and we all have some opinion on things that could be better. The headlights for example, which gave way to me doing a headlight retrofit only days after getting it back. (May start a new thread on that)

Regardless, I still love my truck and hope this thread helped someone in some way, shape, or form.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine

I highly recommend you go with Pennzoil "Ultra" Platinum from the dealership. They have multiple Pennzoil offerings, but the Ultra is the best IMO. I would be sure to ask upfront and check your recipe. Oil selection is critical, and far more important than most think. And the oil life monitor in the truck is excessive, I personally like to change my oil every 4-5k.

OP
OP
firehawk09

firehawk09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I highly recommend you go with Pennzoil "Ultra" Platinum from the dealership. They have multiple Pennzoil offerings, but the Ultra is the best IMO. I would be sure to ask upfront and check your recipe. Oil selection is critical, and far more important than most think. And the oil life monitor in the truck is excessive, I personally like to change my oil every 4-5k.

Sounds like a plan! I got a free oil change with the repair work, obviously, so I'll ask when I go in for the next one and maybe see about upgrading it to the "PUP".

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Hello Forum Friends just joined hoping to get more educated on the Cam and Lifters
Welcome aboard, you came to a great place. You will learn a lot from a group of awesome Hemi owners. About the cam and lifters, we have had a number of cam and lifter failures over the years, do to poor quality parts or poor quality oil. But I think it's both. Either way the Hemi is picky when it comes to engine oil. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (PUP), Amsoil Signature Series and Redline are the 3 top oil being used. Tell us about your truck, miles, oil change interval (OCI), oil preference, oil filter preference, year? You having any issues? What warranty do you have?

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Ok gentleman, If you have the Max Lifetime warranty you are Not allowed to use an aftermarket Oil Filter, or a filter with the wrong part number like the SRT oil filter. If you have an engine failure related to oil FCA can deny the warranty work if there is an aftermarket oil filter on the engine. This is per Max Lifetime warranty representative. Basically all they need is an excuse.

blueeyedjewel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
Welcome aboard, you came to a great place. You will learn a lot from a group of awesome Hemi owners. About the cam and lifters, we have had a number of cam and lifter failures over the years, do to poor quality parts or poor quality oil. But I think it's both. Either way the Hemi is picky when it comes to engine oil. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (PUP), Amsoil Signature Series and Redline are the 3 top oil being used. Tell us about your truck, miles, oil change interval (OCI), oil preference, oil filter preference, year? You having any issues? What warranty do you have?

blueeyedjewel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
My truck has 137,000, never missed an oil change, synthetic, oil filter truthfully could not tell you whatever the mechanic installed,started to notice a ticking sound my husband had a diagnostic check #3

Welcome ! Mostly you'll hear about cam lifter failures. Some feel a thicker oil will mitigate this issue.

blueeyedjewel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
Thank you, I appreciate all the great information but I already know now it is the Cam/Lifter

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ok gentleman, If you have the Max Lifetime warranty you are Not allowed to use an aftermarket Oil Filter, or a filter with the wrong part number like the SRT oil filter. If you have an engine failure related to oil FCA can deny the warranty work if there is an aftermarket oil filter on the engine. This is per Max Lifetime warranty representative. Basically all they need is an excuse.

Well, that sux.

blueeyedjewel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter

Sorry to hear.
Thank you, my warranty is no longer effective obviously, I wanted to see if anyone knows if they have fixed this issue Before I spend $4,000+tx,etc., I do not want more of the same down the road again, I have "the black pearl"(truck name)home for now debating on my options, like an aftermarket place I can get help, so I can have the work done here or is the Cam/lifter issue resolved? Then I would have the dealership do the work, just really saddened to not be able to drive it, I have a car but I feel like I am going to die in that thing, I love my truck it is vital to Our business and my life.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it was mine is find a performance shop that knows alot about Hemi's and have them do the work. Even if you go with a stock grind cam they would know the places to look. I've heard Jeff Green is real good as far as aftermarket parts however I have never had the displeasure of dealing with this situation. ( knock on wood). The important part is find someone that knows Hemi's, they're their own special breed.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca