Chrysler Warranty - Misfire, Lifters & Cam possible culprit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use the synthetic on my wife’s 6.1 car and my 6.1 car, they don’t go over 3k without an oil change. And I don’t think the oil being thicker will help. It’s the cam material itself failing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
From what I’ve been told, the camshaft lobe is the issue. During the curing process of the cams, the cams were not cured properly.

Yes this....and the cam material getting into the lifter causing it to stick. Sure makes sense........wish they'd issue a recall so I could turn some receipts in lol

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, there is no doubt it's about the cam/lifter failing, the million dollar question is what's causing it to fail. I've heard soft cams, defective or sub par lifters, short push rods, bad rockers, and yes the dreded oil. Before we all jump on one thing as being the culprit and rule out everything else we should all do our reading. I've read, read, and read some more on this issue and let me classify this as I am no chemical or mechanical engineer. The promoted standard for oil for the 5.7 hemi is ms 6395, which if you look at the chemical makeup of the oils that are ms6395 approved they are all over the place, especially when it comes to zinc and moly content. Some have low zinc and no moly up to some that have alot of both. From all the reading I've done it appears that the hemi engine needs the higher end of zinc and moly for a happy life. Secondly the 5.7 is spec for 5/20, in the majority of the cam/lifter failures the engines have had a steady diet of 5/20, very few reported that were running 5/30, and I don't want to say none but I will say very very few that had been using 5/30 with the higher zinc and moly. What makes this more complex is that the oil companies are changing their formulas to gen2, sn+, gf6. Just because it's the new standard doesn't mean it's better, maybe better for some but not all. I'm not saying that oil is the total answer, just don't get caught up in the idea that I've always used brand X and it's been fine. Brand X of yesterday, last week, last year, will probably not be the brand X of tomorrow.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
From what I’ve been told, the camshaft lobe is the issue. During the curing process of the cams, the cams were not cured properly.

So why not just do a recall knowing that it’s a continuous problem? I had a 12 w/4.7 that had a bad set of lifters it took the dealer 3 weeks and only replaced one bank. I got rid of it ASAP after that.
I hope we do not have the same problems with the 6.4.

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 Off Road. 6.4L. USMC (ret)

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If there is a problem in the mfging end of the cam lobe, no oil will prevent this issue. I have read of this as a "soft metal" issue with the cam lobes. Either buy an extended warranty or plan your upgrades, camshaft, new heads ECT... And enjoy your new power upgrades.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So why not just do a recall knowing that it’s a continuous problem? I had a 12 w/4.7 that had a bad set of lifters it took the dealer 3 weeks and only replaced one bank. I got rid of it ASAP after that.

JMO, truth be told, I don't think they know exactly what the problem is, just that they have a problem area. I've read that over the years that they've decreased valve spring pressure and made other changes supposedly to fix this. If it is in fact soft cams or defective parts that means that each and every cam and lifter would have to pass a QC check, and that ain't gonna happen in the world of mass production. Quite frankly as long as it gets out of the warranty period I think they don't really care.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
JMO, truth be told, I don't think they know exactly what the problem is, just that they have a problem area. I've read that over the years that they've decreased valve spring pressure and made other changes supposedly to fix this. If it is in fact soft cams or defective parts that means that each and every cam and lifter would have to pass a QC check, and that ain't gonna happen in the world of mass production. Quite frankly as long as it gets out of the warranty period I think they don't really care.

Agree completely. Also answers the question of why FCA shortened the drivetrain warranty to 60000 miles.

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Because the percentage of repairs VS the amount of vehicles we sell doesn’t warrant an actual recall. Wich in my opinion is a bit weird. But it makes sense overall

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
Because the percentage of repairs VS the amount of vehicles we sell doesn’t warrant an actual recall. Wich in my opinion is a bit weird. But it makes sense overall

I think it's going to be impossible to get an accurate number due to out of warranty vehicles not going to the dealer for repairs. The dealership is much higher out of pocket cost for the repair vs. going to a qualified 3rd party mechanic. If a 3rd party does the repair the information never gets reported to the nhtsa.

I'd advise any early 4th gen owners with the 5.7l and around/over 100k miles to start a rainy day fund or sell/upgrade before their number is drawn. Just my opinion......

OP
OP
firehawk09

firehawk09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I know this thread is kind of old now as it was started back in May, but I wanted to close it out with the final results in case anyone was curious.

I picked up my truck last Tuesday and everything seems to be in proper order. There are a few things to note, but I wouldn't classify as issues necessarily.

My gas mileage is down (14.4 mpg), and the Eco mode doesn't come on very often. It could be the new Heads, Cam and Lifters need to be broken in or the new tires I put on the week before I took it in. Since I put on less than 50 miles on those tires I have no idea what kind of mileage to expect. They're stock size BF Goodrich KO2's.

Aside from that, I'm just super happy to get my truck back after 2 months. The ramcares member that reached out on here helped me out and I'm very thankful. Good luck to anyone else who has to deal with this type of issue. I'm not the first, and doubt I'm the last.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I know this thread is kind of old now as it was started back in May, but I wanted to close it out with the final results in case anyone was curious.

I picked up my truck last Tuesday and everything seems to be in proper order. There are a few things to note, but I wouldn't classify as issues necessarily.

My gas mileage is down (14.4 mpg), and the Eco mode doesn't come on very often. It could be the new Heads, Cam and Lifters need to be broken in or the new tires I put on the week before I took it in. Since I put on less than 50 miles on those tires I have no idea what kind of mileage to expect. They're stock size BF Goodrich KO2's.

Aside from that, I'm just super happy to get my truck back after 2 months. The ramcares member that reached out on here helped me out and I'm very thankful. Good luck to anyone else who has to deal with this type of issue. I'm not the first, and doubt I'm the last.
If you have a 4X4 with 3.92's that's definitely within the acceptable range especially with A/T tires as far as I'm concerned. I get around 17 with RWD/3.92's and the stock Goodyears in mine so I wouldn't be displeased if I were you.

OP
OP
firehawk09

firehawk09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you have a 4X4 with 3.92's that's definitely within the acceptable range especially with A/T tires as far as I'm concerned. I get around 17 with RWD/3.92's and the stock Goodyears in mine so I wouldn't be displeased if I were you.

I actually have a CC 4X4 3.21's. Before the tires and warranty work I used to get 19-20 minimum when cruising. So I'll just have to see how it all goes. I'm not too worried about the drop but it would be nice if I could stay around 17 myself with a 33" tire.

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
To add to your thread. Mine failed on 7/2/18. Had it towed to the dealer so they could at least document it. I knew I wasn't going to get anywhere with an expired warranty. With that being said the service advisor called the next day to say I needed a new engine ($11k P&L).

Spoke to Jay and got one of his mild cam kits, found an awesome performance shop and I'm about $8k in. The job could've been done for half, but if I'm going to swap parts now, I might as well throw more parts on while she's down.

Thus is happening to; or will happen to all the MDS Hemi's. The manufacturer knows this is an issue, and that it's happening in the MDS Hemi powered cars, trucks, and SUVs.

The shop that is doing my work linked me up with a previous customer of there's that went through the same thing in both his 09 Charger and RAM. He went all out on the Charger and it runs 11.8 in the 1/4. I'm not going as exterme as him, but I didn't see the benefit of putting in thr sane stock parts that failed the 1st time be are a "ticking" (pun intended) time bomb.

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To add to your thread. Mine failed on 7/2/18. Had it towed to the dealer so they could at least document it. I knew I wasn't going to get anywhere with an expired warranty. With that being said the service advisor called the next day to say I needed a new engine ($11k P&L).

Spoke to Jay and got one of his mild cam kits, found an awesome performance shop and I'm about $8k in. The job could've been done for half, but if I'm going to swap parts now, I might as well throw more parts on while she's down.

Thus is happening to; or will happen to all the MDS Hemi's. The manufacturer knows this is an issue, and that it's happening in the MDS Hemi powered cars, trucks, and SUVs.

The shop that is doing my work linked me up with a previous customer of there's that went through the same thing in both his 09 Charger and RAM. He went all out on the Charger and it runs 11.8 in the 1/4. I'm not going as exterme as him, but I didn't see the benefit of putting in thr sane stock parts that failed the 1st time be are a "ticking" (pun intended) time bomb.
I'll go ahead and ask it, I think we'd all like to know what kind and weight oil you were running....

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56

Which 1 did you get?
The Stage .5 HL v2 or the Stage 1.5 HL v2.

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
.5 vs with .625 PAC springs. Truck has 120k miles and I tow several times a month. Not looking for break neck 1/4 times, cuz I don't go. Just wanted better then what Dodge gave us