Clack clack clack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram_Burgundy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 1500 4x4 quad cab
Engine
5.2l magnum
that's what i am hearing when I go down the road.

I've crawled under the car and none of the u joints looks top be in terrible shape and I have jacked up the car and played with the wheels to see if it was the wheel bearings but, it didn't feel like they were bad. It is coming from the front. a couple of the bushings could be replaced but, i figure that would be more of a knocking noise.

It's an 2001 slt 1500 4x4 auto.

Any help is great.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
With wheel bearings you have to take a pry bar to it, same thing with u-joints in some cases. Don't forget the u-joints in the front axle as well.

Bluesmoke91

2nd GEN Site Mod
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
just throwing this out there, do you have aftermarket wheels with the bolt on center caps? Mine come loose once in a while and make that exact noise, clack clack clack while driving

OP
OP
R

Ram_Burgundy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2l magnum
I have stock wheels and I made sure everything is torqued on to 95 ftlbs.

I took it out for a drive and threw it into 4h and the noise went away. So i think that would rule out wheel bearings. I will take a pry bar to the u joints next.

OP
OP
R

Ram_Burgundy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2l magnum
I just wanted to follow up and say it was the right axle u joint. I also replaced the hub as it was making noise when i spun it. Thanks for the help.