Clay sponges

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clancaster23

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Has anyone had a chance to use the clay sponges like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Nanoskin-AS-..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=QYV7WS3ABK388MPZV9K8

Just curious to know if they actually work. I saw Mother's makes one and was going to pick it up and try it out. My truck in in desperate need of a heavy detail and I might be able to do it this weekend. From what I've read it's just as good as regular clay but faster. anyone actually used it and can say how it worked?

cliftonclendenen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Honestly I’d just stick with regular clay. For doing small jobs like a window, the synthetic or sponge clay is nice and easy, but if your doing your whole truck you’re gonna want clay that you can fold and flatten for clean sides, because our paint can get real nasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone had a chance to use the clay sponges like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Nanoskin-AS-..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=QYV7WS3ABK388MPZV9K8

Just curious to know if they actually work. I saw Mother's makes one and was going to pick it up and try it out. My truck in in desperate need of a heavy detail and I might be able to do it this weekend. From what I've read it's just as good as regular clay but faster. anyone actually used it and can say how it worked?

Ive used the Nanoskin DA pad. Its obviously a WHOLE lot faster than the clay bar, especially on a big truck, but on the flip side it was too big for certain areas. Especially where there are body creases (i.e. the one a few inches above the bottom of the door, etc)

I still used a clay BAR on some spots, but for the large flatter areas of the truck you cant really beat the Nanoskin towel/sponge/da pad.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A nano towel will do a good job if the surface is not really dirty. If the surface needs lots of attention you should use a clay bar. Remember clay bars come in different "grits". The more abrasive ones may leave some small scratches which will have to be polished out. Clay lub is your best friend when using a clay bar or nano towel.

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/detailingclay.html

Jay

OP
OP
C

Clancaster23

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Looks like I should use both then. The sponge/pad/towel for the big wide sections and clay for the small areas. I think I can live with that. Anything to get it done faster. I have clayed a lot of vehicles and it always just takes so long mainly because I like to go over every inch of the vehicle. If the sponges can at least cut some time off, it'll be worth it. I'll be getting the Mother's one tomorrow and if I like it, I'll maybe order a towel or something in that area.

OP
OP
C

Clancaster23

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Got and used the Mother's sponge and it worked great. I had a spot on both sides behind the rear wheels that must have been tar or paint or something but it was black and felt like sandpaper when I ran my hand over it. About 20 seconds of running the sponge over it and it was all off. I did the rest of the truck as I washed and when I used the sponge, I mixed in detailing spray with the soapy water and I got everything off. Works great. Plan on doing the wife's Cherokee next weekend.

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use the Eagleone Nano Mitt. Works pretty darn well, even if its not professional quality in terms of thickness. Makes it a ton easier.

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you haven't yet, try the Griot's Garage clay mitt, it's excellent and has replaced traditional clay bars for me and many others.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i just got the Mothers Speed Clay 2.0 to try on the truck.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^^ Wolfgang has excellent products!! Truck looks really great.
Jay