Cleaning Chrome Wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve Cloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bought a used 2016 Big Horn, and there is some black stuff on the wheels. Not tar or scratches. Guess it's just dirt/brake dust that has stuck. Any ideas on what would get that kind of thing off?

geotex1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Pictures would help.

What cleaning have you tried?

Have you tried a little metal polish in an inconspicuous spot? Mother's brand can be found at most any auto parts store. If that removes it, then you can likely salvage them with the right products and effort. If not, you can always improve their looks by Plastidip for a DIY, low dollar, fix till you decide what you want to do for the long haul.

For that matter, perhaps someone already "dipped" them since the murdered out look has come around again. See if the black peels with very careful use or a razor blade.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Try the least abrasive solution first. Have you tried a clay bar?
Jay

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Try the least abrasive solution first. Have you tried a clay bar?
Jay

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bought a used 2016 Big Horn, and there is some black stuff on the wheels. Not tar or scratches. Guess it's just dirt/brake dust that has stuck. Any ideas on what would get that kind of thing off?

What part of the wheels? The plastic chrome or the actual aluminum barrels?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've never gotten black stuff like that in mine, but I have used meguiars plastx to clean the chrome. I would try that. Or an old clay bar if you have one hanging around.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk