Clunk / surge on deceleration when stopping?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all; Power Wagon, 2019, with 11k miles. All stock other than 35” tires. Earlier this week, while braking to a stop, just before reaching the stop I got a major driveline clunk and even what felt like tapping the gas (I didn’t) or getting tapped in the rear (I was the only vehicle on the road). So obvious my passenger even commented. I chalked it up to a bad 2-1 shift and carried on.

Since then it’s happened again intermittently that there’s a discernible clunk at 2-1 when stopping. Never as bad as that first one, but noticeable. Especially noted after a year of faultlessly smooth ZF shifting.

I’ve also recently a few times noticed a slight surge or irregularities in throttle control at parking lot speeds. So perhaps it could be something glitchy in the ETC as opposed to the transmission itself.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced similar symptoms in your HD and if so what was the cause and resolution?

BigLazer4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Hello all; Power Wagon, 2019, with 11k miles. All stock other than 35” tires. Earlier this week, while braking to a stop, just before reaching the stop I got a major driveline clunk and even what felt like tapping the gas (I didn’t) or getting tapped in the rear (I was the only vehicle on the road). So obvious my passenger even commented. I chalked it up to a bad 2-1 shift and carried on.

Since then it’s happened again intermittently that there’s a discernible clunk at 2-1 when stopping. Never as bad as that first one, but noticeable. Especially noted after a year of faultlessly smooth ZF shifting.

I’ve also recently a few times noticed a slight surge or irregularities in throttle control at parking lot speeds. So perhaps it could be something glitchy in the ETC as opposed to the transmission itself.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced similar symptoms in your HD and if so what was the cause and resolution?

2019 ram power wagon here, I don’t have a major clunk as you say but I have been noticing this exact same thingy the past month that you are describing.

I’ve gotten under the truck and checked everything, turned a wrench to tighten everything as I thought it may of been something loose in the front end or rear.

at-first I thought it was driveshaft or slack somewhere, anyway, I’ve had no luck finding the source of this sound/clunk/surge. I don’t believe anything is wrong and it does not appear to be getting worse but it is odd.

Mine only happens when I’m going slow either slowing down or taking off. Makes me wonder if it’s slack in the drivetrain.

please let me know if you find out what this noise is.

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My 2017 does the same thing. Been doing it for 35k+ miles. Its always when it’s downshifting. I feel like it was the tranny. Now I’m thinking it might be from the drivetrain since you guys have the 8speed but have the same drivetrain.

not getting worse or better. When I brake alittle harder than usual before a complete stop, it won’t do it. Like you guys, does it intermittently.

Leedav

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have the same thing. 1500 2020. Clunk when slowing to a stop gradually usually at 11 mph. Took it to the dealer. They said they made a software update to the transmission and did some “training” on it. No change since I got it back.

Derekattheburg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just got a 2022 power wagon and it clunks or slips on stopping. It seems to only happen when i stop rapidly and even then it doesn't happen all the time. When it does happen it occurs right before the trucks comes to a complete stop. It feels like something slips and then hits.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
My '17 used to do that on and off. The dealer said they flashed it a couple times and then I never noticed after that.

Lee Pedrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Same here. 2500 tradesman ,2022. Drives me nuts! I think when you are almost stopped, It clunks from 4th to first. I understand that there are 3 sets of "planitary gears" and I think its dropping from one set of those gears to the first set. Tran guys, feel free to jump in here. I do hate it. Never had this in any other Rams that I,ve owned over the last 30 or more years ago.