Cluster dead?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris Pettyjohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
I apologize if this is posted in the wrong spot but any help would be appreciated.

My son has an 02’ ram 1500 quad cab 2wd with a 5.9 360. He was pulling into the driveway the other day and hit a bump and the cluster went dead. Pickup starts, runs and drives great. Zero lights on the dash. Odometer and tachometer are completely blank. None of the gages work seem to have any life at all. Radio works fine. When I turn the key headlights automatically come on. Blinkers, flashers and brake lights are all dead. The cluster test/reset (holding down odo/tach reset) does nothing. The only light that is on is the red alarm light, even though there is no alarm on the pickup. Power windows work, power locks do not. Horn is out as well. Next step would be PCM or cluster replacement i would imagine. It just seems to me vehicle would run or drive with PCM problems, and if it was just the cluster, the horn or power locks wouldn’t be effected would they?

Things we have done:

- replaced ignition switch

- removed cluster, removed cleaned and secured all 3 harnesses on the back.

- checked for loose wires or grounds

- checked all relevant fuses in fuse box under the hood.

- removed the fuse box and blew out all the wiring harnesses with air compressor.

- removed harnesses from PCM, blew them out with compressor

We have done some major work on it recently. Did an engine swap about 8 months ago with a junk yard salvage. We also pulled transmission and replaced the front/torque converter seal last weekend. It ran no problem for 2-3 days so i don’t think that would have any thing to do with it, but included that info just in case. Thanks to anyone in advance for any advise.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956