Cold air intake system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interested too, what kind of increase can one expect from a CAI? Is it really worth the investment?

NO, waste of money. U can go get a ED lower Box and put in, bit more air. But unless U rip motor apart, do cam changes and such, and headers, diff back end exhaust maybe catback etc etc,., and also a TUNE, U R wasting yer money, all IMHO.....

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do ya remember flippin the air filter cover on your Dad’s 72 Caprice Classic and hearin the 4 barrel kick in ? ... Bout the same sound as the open CAI’s ... Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did that on my 1967 Impala 2 door Supersport with that Rocking Big Block 396 with the Rochester Quadra-Jet, LMAO. Made a nice very slow to get there intake roar, and did not do much of anything, But sounded bad. Nice Mod for no $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, LMAO.....

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The stock airbox in 4th gen 1500's has a duct that is fairly well sealed to the fender, so it's not drawing any air from the engine compartment.

It also picks up air from the high pressure area in front of the tire.If you look that piece of plastic on the fender over close,you'll see it also has a duct that feeds down and is open at the bottom.S&B's extra scoop or any other CAI that uses a lower scoop is nothing more then a copy of the factories set-up.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My .02 on the subject.

I've had the Vararam, S&B 75-5106, S&B 75-5078 with the lower scoop, the stock intake with an Airaid Jr tube with the 6.4/3.0 lower box, Volant with Powercore and lower scoop (current), and obviously the stock intake. The best performer out of all of those was the Vararam. The S&B 75-5106 was essentially a noise maker, the 75-5078 with the lower scoop and the Volant with the lower scoop are a close second in performance to the Vararam, and the stock intake with 6.4/3.0 lower box and Airaid Jr tube was third in performance. This is all with other supporting mods such as a custom tune, shorty headers, and Magnaflow exhaust. On a stock truck the only intake that will net any appreciable performance gains is the Vararam.

Again, just my .02.

stbear007

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 sport crew
Engine

Personally I like my S&B as it's enclosed. I had the mopar one like this design you show it it trapped a lot of dirt leaves and crap. Had to clean filter way too many times. The s&b stays relatively clean so much longer being enclosed. You will lose some of the throaty sound tho but I do have flownaster cat back so I don't miss it anyways lol. Just my 2 cents as it wasn't worth the headaches of cleaning more often.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do ya remember flippin the air filter cover on your Dad’s 72 Caprice Classic and hearin the 4 barrel kick in ? ... Bout the same sound as the open CAI’s ... Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My dad always had a Cadillac, so no.

enforcer17

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020, 2019
Engine
6.4L, 5.7L
Did that on my 1967 Impala 2 door Supersport with that Rocking Big Block 396 with the Rochester Quadra-Jet, LMAO. Made a nice very slow to get there intake roar, and did not do much of anything, But sounded bad. Nice Mod for no $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, LMAO.....

But your filter would get dirty a lot faster ... those were fun times. I added a flex fan (tucked into the fan shroud) in place of the stock fan and it made a whistle like a turbo spooling

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
i did a volant from ebay and did my own intake in my front bumper fiberglass it looks great when its cold the air does run my truck sweet pick up maybe 1/2 mpg better but did it to run my beef up hami seems with 91 oct to run great ! its a biger air filter easy to vacuum clean it wash once a year so love that part ! I really feel its better the old donge one !

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Based on my experience dating back to the sixties. And more recently a Camaro SS. CAI alone can help if you have several other things going ON.

First. SPEED! If you are doing normal sub 100 mph no.

I did a test on my SS measuring MAF. Before an CAI and after. At normal highway speed and A LOT FASTER. Let's just say way into 3 digits.

At hi speed the gain in MAF was significant. Sorry it's been a few years so I don't recall actual numbers.

Second. A real hood scoop makes a big difference. Again at speed

Btw the top end on my SS was well over 170. Theoretically speaking

Your mileage may vary

David Janes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
S&B is the move. I love rough country for their stuff but would spend the extra money and get the S&B

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
Based on my experience dating back to the sixties. And more recently a Camaro SS. CAI alone can help if you have several other things going ON.

First. SPEED! If you are doing normal sub 100 mph no.

I did a test on my SS measuring MAF. Before an CAI and after. At normal highway speed and A LOT FASTER. Let's just say way into 3 digits.

At hi speed the gain in MAF was significant. Sorry it's been a few years so I don't recall actual numbers.

Second. A real hood scoop makes a big difference. Again at speed

Btw the top end on my SS was well over 170. Theoretically speaking

Your mileage may vary

I'm assuming no computer in the SS. With a computer you need to tune the car to get the benefit.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dont ask where cause i was looking for it myself but im sure i saw on here by adding the eco d bottom air box and connecting up with stock does the same....