Cold air intakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yummins24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9L 360
I'm eventually going to install a CAI and wanted your opinions of what intake is the best... im considering the spectre CAI bc its decently cheap. Also i want to know if the cold air intake actually increases horsepower, torque, or MPGs.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Your oem system is a cai. So unless you're doing a whole lot of motor work, just buy a drop in filter and run it.

I've run a K&N FIPK which after about fifty bucks worth of mods worked fairly well... untill the 2nd tube cracked.

So I went to a 14x3 chrome air filter and have been quite happy. I've had it about 5 years now and am quite happy with it.

Mgpatton1s

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just got a K&N 63 series CAI. Like 280 from Dave which I thought was a good idea. It was still 30 bucks cheaper than from K&N even with 15% off. As far as gains. They say it adds about 15 hp. Idk if that's really true. Never been on a Dyno but there is definitely a noticeable difference. It's a little peppier but the biggest difference I noticed was throttle response became better by leaps and bounds and it gave it a deeper rumble. IMO it was well worth the money

JohnHenry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 magnum
Spectre= Cheaper version of K+N... life time usage, high flow air filter. Stock air filter box is routed for cold air intake already. Drop in either of the two for same gains IMO.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Your oem system is a cai. So unless you're doing a whole lot of motor work, just buy a drop in filter and run it.

I've run a K&N FIPK which after about fifty bucks worth of mods worked fairly well... untill the 2nd tube cracked.

So I went to a 14x3 chrome air filter and have been quite happy. I've had it about 5 years now and am quite happy with it.

Correct .. our 2nd gen trucks have a great straight line intake .. all that is needed is a good drop in filter.
The new trucks ... there is where the full on CAI is needed as there stock boxes are restrictive. Ours are not

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Correct .. our 2nd gen trucks have a great straight line intake .. all that is needed is a good drop in filter.
The new trucks ... there is where the full on CAI is needed as there stock boxes are restrictive. Ours are not

Yes...but it doesn't look as purty as an aluminum tube. :naughty:

The plastic tube on 2nd gens is much larger than newer trucks, and while many claim the accordian design is restrictive, it's molded that way for a reason. Those folds cause the resonant sound waves of the airflow to bounce off each other and cancel thier frequencies, just like baffles in a muffler.

Last edited:

directconnection189

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
I went with S&B and love it. It is fully enclosed and pulls no hot engine air just cold air from the existing hole from the fender

Attachments

• photo (15).jpg
    photo (15).jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 67

ParrotHead FA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
I used a K&N filter in my stock airbox on my 98, and added a 3" flex hose mounted under the front bumper to the airbox intake so that it recieves forced cold air as you drive. True ram air for less than $15.
Dave

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used a K&N filter in my stock airbox on my 98, and added a 3" flex hose mounted under the front bumper to the airbox intake so that it recieves forced cold air as you drive. True ram air for less than $15.
Dave

Got any pics of this??

I've also ran the stock air box with the k&n filter. Probably the best idea. Now I'm running an intake from good old ebay and have no complaints. Nothing fancy and can upgrade to a k&n come filter there down the road. I've noticed no real difference though in the three set ups I've ran to be completely honest.

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
I went on Ebay and bought the cheapest intake they had for my truck lol i figured theyre mostly the same anyway, although ill prob change my filter to a K&N. But i have no complaints with mine and it works great still. I paid like $75 bucks for it too, with the aluminized tubing. And of course the ported and polished TB to top it off ;)

Attachments

• intake system.jpg
    intake system.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 290
  • intake filter.jpg
    intake filter.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 293
  • TB.jpg
    TB.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 291

CaptJon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Take a look at what you have now. The 2012s have a great stock box. Going with a CAI is not going to give you any more performance gain than a drop-in will and even with that drop-in the gains you will get is next to nothing. Unless you plan on doing some major engine performance upgrades any CAI you pick will do the same as a drop-in. Appearance wise, some do look really good. There is also the added noise that comes from having an open element that is appealing to some.

pitbull

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I just put the spectre cia part # 9931 for the 2000 ram 1500 yesterday. My first impression is its great. Keep in mind the original system is a cia type but i dont think its as good as a aftermarket system. The spectra system made a diffrence in acceleration and sound is what i can tell right away. as far as fuel econemy im giong to run the numbers after the first full tank. I got mine at pepboys for $180 but you can get the same one for less online if you look around I just dont care for online ordering