cold start 3 sec. screech

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
I have a 2004 ram 1500 5.7.when outside temp is around or below freezing it screeches for 2-3 sec.I thought I had it figured out over the summer I scoped all of my pullys and found the tensioner and one of the idlers to be a little noisy so I replaced the tensioner,both idlers and the belt .today was the first day below freezing and when ifirst started it I found the screech is still there.has anyone else had this problem and if so can you please tell me what it might be.

Bloody_Knuckles

USN 81-86
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Belt slippage? Get some belt dressing and spray it to see if it quiets it down. Belt dressing is essentially a rosin to make the belt have less tendency to slip. Also, try to determine exactly which pulley the screech is coming from. Pull the belt off and see if all the pulleys and idlers turn freely.

Bloody_Knuckles

USN 81-86
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
P.S. If they all turn freely, try starting the truck with the AC off to see if it's the AC clutch.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My bet is on the belt slipping on cold starts causing the noise. Mine does the exact same thing as of right now. I use a bar of soap to quiet the belt down. I just picked up a green HD belt for mine this afternoon.

If you use a bar of soap you can apply the bar against the belt on the right side of the engine just behind the tensioner. There is enough room for your hand to fit. Just be careful. I have mastered the art of pressing the bar of soap against the belt. It's easy.

OP
OP
S

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
could it be possible the belt is slipping with a new belt and tensioner?all other pullys are turning free and quiet.i also replaced both idlers.it only screeches for afew seconds first start of the day when outside temp is at or below freezing.i used a gates serpentine kit.i thought gates was good .

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
99+% of the time it is belt slipping, it's getting worn and starting to harden and crack. I advise against ever using belt dressing, but if you do, use it as a temporary solution until you get a new belt, and get it SOON. If that doesn't work, it could be an accessory bearing starting to go and I've only seen that on one of my cars over the years.

I must say that I have never heard of the bar of soap trick, I'll have to give that a try if I ever have belt slippage again.

OP
OP
S

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
how does soap(slippery)keep a belt from slipping?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
how does soap(slippery)keep a belt from slipping?
The way the soap works is by providing traction for the belt to grab the pulleys. When the soap gets warm from the friction it gets kinda sticky hence the traction. The bar of soap trick works wonders. It's a trick my Dad showed me at age 11 when I first became interested in cars and wrenching.

OP
OP
S

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
if the soap needs to get warm,how will it help me for the first 3 sec. after start up?

OP
OP
S

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
if this new gates belt is really my problem can anyone recommend a good belt to get?

OP
OP
S

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
UPDATE! I have solved this problem.as i suspected it was p/s noise.there were no fluid leaks,pump was quiet after the 3 sec. cold start howl(i could not ck. pump noise in the time it was present,not enough time to get out there and get a scope on the pump).I was sucking in air in the low sd. either at a hose connection from old hard hoses or what i really believe it was ,a bad o ring at the rack.i replaced the low sd. rack to cooler and cooler to res. lines,cold ambient temp cold start noise is no longer present.i hope this will help people having the same issue.researching this i have found alot of people are.