Common issues with the 5th Gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I'm still on the fence with the looks of the 5th gen, they are growing on me. Still might get another 4th gen.. Either way will probably be a few years from now.

So, are these trucks old enough to see common issues like we see in cars now days?

Like the 4th gen had the leaking third brake lights, broken manifold bolts etc!!!

Thanks
Steven

Last edited:

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
  • Brake squeal/groan/moan
  • HVAC (not cold enough, defrost only works on one side)
  • Water leaks (front and rear)
  • Cracked rear window surrounds w/water leaks
  • Misaligned rear doors
  • Vibrations
  • Parasitic battery drain
  • 12" screen (has many issues)
  • Ramboxes warping
Disclaimer - I do not own a 5th gen. When the 5th gens were released, I was all set to trade in my 08 1500 4.7, for a 5th gen. However, after reading all the issues on this board and the 5thgenrams forum, I have decided it's not worth the headache. Many owners are reporting "no issues". Many owners are reporting "many issues". It seems like it's a crap shoot, whether you get a good one or a bad one. For me, it's not worth the gamble. I've read countless threads of owners repeatedly taking their 5th gen to the dealer for issues. In a recent thread (on the other message board), an owner stated he'd been to the dealer 20 times in 1.5 years. My dealer is 30 minutes away, so I definitely don't have that kind of time or patience.

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
  • Misaligned rear doors
  • Vibrations
  • Ramboxes warping
Disclaimer - I do not own a 5th gen. When the 5th gens were released, I was all set to trade in my 08 1500 4.7, for a 5th gen. However, after reading all the issues on this board and the 5thgenrams forum, I have decided it's not worth the headache. Many owners are reporting "no issues". Many owners are reporting "many issues". It seems like it's a crap shoot, whether you get a good one or a bad one. For me, it's not worth the gamble. I've read countless threads of owners repeatedly taking their 5th gen to the dealer for issues. In a recent thread (on the other message board), an owner stated he'd been to the dealer 20 times in 1.5 years. My dealer is 30 minutes away, so I definitely don't have that kind of time or patience.

You would never buy anything if you made a buying decision based on complaints showing up on forums.....

Ford, Chevy, GMC forums are littered with complaints. The VAST MAJORITY of all those trucks have little or no problems.....

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I was also skeptical about the issues with the 5th Gen and decided to wait. Then my Daughter-in-Law wanted to trade her 2016 for a 2019. I warned her about the issues posted but she wanted one one anyway so I purchased her one in May 2019. It has been flawless with zero issues. It has been so flawless that I purchased a 2019 in October 2019...best move ever made. Zero issues except for a harmonic noise due to cross wind which it did once but not since then. I decided to wait to see if it happened again but nothing. Again, both our 2019’s have been flawless as well as three of my coworkers 2019 Rams.

Personal Preference: My only issue was the junk Nexen tires which I dumped on the way home from the dealer as I had them replaced with the same size in Michelin Defenders. I have ran Michelin Defenders for years and they are the best stock tire IMO.

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No issues with MY 19. had (3) recalls and all done. Rides great, I took my truck last year to NJ and back last year like 3 weeks after I bought it. No Issues.

NOW I agree, the HVAC: AC at most is adequate. Looks like FCA uses the heater core to assist with cooling, so AC, when it gets over 90 here just OK. There is a work around, close off heater core, I just could not bring myself to do it.

BUT truck rides like a dream, heck of a lot better than my all electric '85 Cadillac back in the day.

OTHER ISSUE: And this is a Personal Opinion: FRIGGIN sorry a*** OEM tires (SRA's) are lousy. But other PPL say OK, some luv em. I think they R poor. I have not gotten around to changing out to Toyo or LTX's yet, that be next year.

DSCN0592.JPG

Last edited:

litzdog911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
  • Misaligned rear doors
  • Vibrations
  • Ramboxes warping

You can't really judge a product's reliability based on Forum posts. Most folks only visit forums when they're having issues.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RAM Limited
Engine
5.7L HEMI
And yet so far, those posting here are happy as larks with little or no issues. Put me down on that list as well.

Firebird and Arth, great looking trucks you have! How do you like the ride with those tires/wheels? Some have said it is a bit stiffer ride (and you feel every pebble in the road). Sure is a good looking set up.

VdMer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7–Liter V8 HEMI eTorque
Do it, you wouldn’t be asking if you didn’t want to. 17k miles. Dealer did the 3 recalls that I never really would have known about. I have the 12” (no issues) - the nav sucks but it is way better than sync. Otherwise, it’s been great...blows the ‘15 F150 Lariat I had away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

magic280z

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My March 2019 Laramie had been great. Warped ram box lids are unavoidable. Some people make them sound worse than they are.

Pay close attention to options. Find the features you care about and triple check you have them. So many "what I don't like about my ram" comments are just missing features that are available. Just assume no two Rams on the lot are the same.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Donald Parker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
No issues with MY 19. had (3) recalls and all done. Rides great, I took my truck last year to NJ and back last year like 3 weeks after I bought it. No Issues.

NOW I agree, the HVAC: AC at most is adequate. Looks like FCA uses the heater core to assist with cooling, so AC, when it gets over 90 here just OK. There is a work around, close off heater core, I just could not bring myself to do it.

BUT truck rides like a dream, heck of a lot better than my all electric '85 Cadillac back in the day.

OTHER ISSUE: And this is a Personal Opinion: FRIGGIN sorry a*** OEM tires (SRA's) are lousy. But other PPL say OK, some luv em. I think they R poor. I have not gotten around to changing out to Toyo or LTX's yet, that be next year.

View attachment 188966
Be thankful with your OEM tires, the previous generation comes with NEXEN tires made in Korea and they are absolutely horrible!

kballousr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought mine in September last year and never buy first year due to being a service manager in dealerships for almost 30 years. I have 32k on it and never a problem. I also grew up dodge. Forums can be great when having issues or exploring upgrades. But know you are buying man made and they break. As long as there is a fix and they stand behind the product what’s to worry about. Look on GM and Fords forums and u will NEVER buy a vehicle. Best truck and finish ever on the fifth generation.

E9FF3B17-506D-4EC8-BF42-83370E8EFA99.jpeg

jackham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I think by going on online complaints you get a very skewed picture. Basically you find what you look for. How many of these puppies come off the assembly line a day? When you consider that I think unless it is very early in the new product year you will be okay. I am at 17k with loaded Lariat (one box not checked) and the only thing I have had an issue with is Sirius which corrects itself with updates.

Ray Girulat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Loving my 19 Laramie 4x4 .. all stock.. have 19k miles on it. Agree on the AC being adequate at best on really warm days.. Now on cold days I remote start my truck and come to a nice toasty truck. Love the heated steering wheel. Quality control issues.. dome lights in front had a short, Sun visor flopped out of mounting (weird one) and brake squeal. All repaired under warranty. It's a great driving truck. Next round might get a Rebel or Power wagon ( something a little more off road focused). Really thought I'd change out the tonneau cover, but the stock folding one is very versatile and easy to remove when needed.