Common issues with the 5th Gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Rolled over the 1st 1k last night. No issues at all.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Be thankful with your OEM tires, the previous generation comes with NEXEN tires made in Korea and they are absolutely horrible!

Thankful they put tires on the truck, LOL< not cinder blocks. They good for the common reg grocery getter. But long trips, pulling a lot of weight, wet/rainy roads, OMG. But alas, why I will eventually get some LTX/Toyo/maybe Cooper AT3, but since my truck tows infrequently and is basically a grocery/hoss feed/hay getter, I be OK. Just really unhappy in the rain, which when it does rain here, can be a monster. Not like doing 360's. And on ice, these, forget it. BUT all good. ALL ABOVE IMHO...

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can't help but laugh about people that go to posting a bunch of issues with a vehicle that they don't even own and probably hasn't even driven one. My 2019 Laramie Sport with 4x4 off road package is a little over one year old with 18-k miles on it. I have had zero issues with it and it has only visited the dealer for regular service like oil and filter. When the truck had less than 3-k miles on it it took a 5200 mile trip pulling my 34 foot travel trailer through all types of terrain including mountain driving. It is the best handling and quietest running truck I've ever owned.

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've had my truck almost one year now. Nothing really to report. I had been hearing a clunk lately when turning the wheel but it went away so who knows. I have almost 7k miles. I think it has been a good truck and I am satisfied.

Of course all vehicles have issues they are more prone to - not that all vehicles will have it, but that it is a common enough complaint that it bears watching. That was true when I had my Titan and I'm sure it will be true with the Ram.

From what I have seen so far in this forum and the other forum, and my own experience, I think these issues will be most common and legitimate:

Warped Ram boxes (plastic lids)
Ho-hum AC system
Water leak around driver side firewall
Cracked rear window surround at top
Update/electronic issues with the 12" screen

None of that would stop me from buying a vehicle.

OP
OP
BlownGP

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Ho-hum AC system
Water leak around driver side firewall
Cracked rear window surround at top

Well I need my A/c hear in south Louisiana. I have read the A/C issue is I think the new type of Freon. It doesn't get has cold.

Is the water leak and cracked window surround bad enough to get a lot water in.

Thanks for the info guys. I understand on the internet, the worst always comes out. lol
It just got thinking about a 5th gen because some of the used prices or cheaper than 4th gens.

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I need my A/c hear in south Louisiana. I have read the A/C issue is I think the new type of Freon. It doesn't get has cold.

Thanks for the info guys. I understand on the internet, the worst always comes out. lol
It just got thinking about a 5th gen because some of the used prices or cheaper than 4th gens.

I haven't had any problem with leaking or the cracked window surround. As for the AC, I think there's pretty decent agreement that it's not blazing cold starting off. Beyond that I think it depends where you live and your truck configuration. Most people that have serious complaints have the massive sunroof and live in the Sunbelt. I live in the South but in the mountains and the AC works great for me, no complaints at all. Some guys are putting in coolant bypass valves to make the vents colder. If I lived where you live I would skip the sunroof and maybe go with a lighter color interior.

yellowboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
none
Engine
none
Only 5500 miles on my Limited, yes AC sucks and am getting the window wind noise but making a list to take it in and they are the only 2 on it so far.
I don't have moon roof and black interior. We'll see.

Went from a 2007 F150, could have kept it for another 5 years but the Pennsylvania salt was eating it alive from below and I wanted all the new safety stuff. I'm in NC now so hopefully I won't see the road when I'm driving and look down at the floor !

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

You should check out the 5thgenrams forum (general discussion). The water leaks and AC issues are discussed in detail over there. If you're unlucky enough to get a water leak, then yes, it can be enough water to soak your carpet. The cracked rear window surround or third brake light leak, usually results in a wet headliner.

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi

I lived in central Florida for the first year I owned this Ram. Much farther south than Louisiana. The dealership I dealt with was not getting complaints about a/c cooling problems. There are hundreds of thousands now on the road. Mine gets to my programmed temp as quick as the F150 that I traded, and my C7 Corvette and mine is all black with the pano roof. Does it blow ice cubes out the vents? No, but it blows cold enough that I have many times directed the vents away from me.

The water leaks are no more prevalent then you find on the F150.

goldeneyee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn/Longhorn Crew Cab
Engine
HEMI
I traded in my 2017 Ram Crewcab Bighorn on the 2019 5th generation Crewcab Bighorn loaded with options. During 1st two weeks of ownership several recalls of minor stuff and then pure enjoyment. Its, without question, the very best truck that I have ever owned. It made my 4th generation look antiquated and obsolete. I had zero issues with water leaks or insufficient air conditioning even on the 95 degree days. I'm a very satisfied customer.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I've only had my Aug 2019 built 2020 Laramie for a couple of months, but so far I love it. Much more refined than my 4th gen was. My only complaint is with the rambox lids, which is very common on the 5th gens. It's cosmetic, and in a year I doubt I'll care about it anymore.

2020 RAM 2 full size.png

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can't really judge a product's reliability based on Forum posts. Most folks only visit forums when they're having issues.
Agree. Own an RV park, and most say they love it, but don't write reviews. Most reviews come from people that would complain about starving to death with a loaf of bread under each arm. Most complaints hear are very valid, but some are purely about nothing.
Give me the ability to change what I can change, live with what I cannot, and the wisdom to know the difference.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
had mine a little over a year and it has been great so far. had some wind noise on a trip with 30mph cross wind but that was the only time. had a code for evap error but reset it with my obd scanner. it pulls my travel trailer fine and is much more fun to drive than the '17 sierra 4x4 ccsb I had before. I have got 21.5 mpg on the road a few times. everyone that rides in it remarks about how nice the interior is. I guess my only gripes are the trailer mirrors dont power fold and there is no charging surface for my phone..have to plug it in. also the headlights light up stuff way far off but not as much as I like on the road close in front of me. I had to unplug the ANC system because it made a droning sound at certain speeds that I didnt want to deal with. I have the alpine sound system with woofer and to me it sounds great.

Dougairrace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I get that droning sound at certain speeds on my 2019 1500 Bighorn what is an ANC system and how do you unplug?

mbryanr2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
https://**************/community/threads/fix-cabin-noise-booming-rattle.3086/

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi, All I purchased my Truck in September its a March build, wind noise from drivers door upper window, outside of that no problems what so ever, it does have Body roll at high speeds with allot of wind am checking into a Helwig anti sway bar to handle that, I came from a 2018 F-150 XLT Buckboard suspension.