Common issues with the 5th Gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BlownGP

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I haven't had any problem with leaking or the cracked window surround. As for the AC, I think there's pretty decent agreement that it's not blazing cold starting off. Beyond that I think it depends where you live and your truck configuration. Most people that have serious complaints have the massive sunroof and live in the Sunbelt. I live in the South but in the mountains and the AC works great for me, no complaints at all. Some guys are putting in coolant bypass valves to make the vents colder. If I lived where you live I would skip the sunroof and maybe go with a lighter color interior.

Yeah, I don't care for sunroofs anyways. It's either too hot or raining here. Maybe week or two out of year wear it would be applicable.

I've heard of a coolant bypass for engine coolant, but not making the ac cooler. umm

You should check out the 5thgenrams forum (general discussion). The water leaks and AC issues are discussed in detail over there. If you're unlucky enough to get a water leak, then yes, it can be enough water to soak your carpet. The cracked rear window surround or third brake light leak, usually results in a wet headliner.

So the third brake still can leak on these truck. WTF FCA??? This like a 20 year thing. lol

Thanks for the info

OP
OP
BlownGP

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've only had my Aug 2019 built 2020 Laramie for a couple of months, but so far I love it. Much more refined than my 4th gen was. My only complaint is with the rambox lids, which is very common on the 5th gens. It's cosmetic, and in a year I doubt I'll care about it anymore.

View attachment 189172

Love that color

are they still doing hydro blue?

OP
OP
BlownGP

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I lived in central Florida for the first year I owned this Ram. Much farther south than Louisiana. The dealership I dealt with was not getting complaints about a/c cooling problems. There are hundreds of thousands now on the road. Mine gets to my programmed temp as quick as the F150 that I traded, and my C7 Corvette and mine is all black with the pano roof. Does it blow ice cubes out the vents? No, but it blows cold enough that I have many times directed the vents away from me.

The water leaks are no more prevalent then you find on the F150.

Shoot, you might be farther down south, but it gets damn hot here in Baton Rouge. lol
I would think the Corvette would cool down quick since it has a small cabin.

Like most things probably the not so cold A/C could be overblown.

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
They way I see it, seems to me it's an owner thing whether a vehicle is good or not. Nobody, nobody builds a perfect truck/car/etc. Though, today most are built extremely well. But how much are the owners willing to put up with?

To me this is why Toyota sells so much. No, they are not that great. My sister owns Toyota and they break down all the time, the dash shreds, the brakes fail, the air conditioning stops, the alarm malfunctions, etc etc. Seriously, they are not the best. But, she puts up with it and calls them "perfect" Go figure. This feeling of "it must be good" drives them, when it's really not that true. I figure it's just marketing.

Others own Dodge or RAM or Ford or Chevy and have one or two small minor issues and their vehicle is a P.O.S. YMMV of course, so take everything with a grain of salt and just know that vehicle ownership is a journey, and far from free. As with all journey's there are good times and bad times. You have to decide you want to put up with the journey.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
So the third brake still can leak on these truck. WTF FCA??? This like a 20 year thing. lol

20 years? Try 53! Cargo lights mounted in the same location as they are today were first offered as an option on both the 1967 Ford and GM brands. Not sure about Dodge, International or Jeep.

condor767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Only issue I had on my 19 Bighorn was the brake booster went out at 1500 miles...replaced under warranty.

Otherwise I’ve had zero issues. Best truck ever!

Dexter Bob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
My two ******* with my 2019 (delivered 11/12 from factory order) The 12" screen went out 900 miles from home and I had no way to turn off the heated seat and steering wheel. Of course the day I take it to the dealer the damn thing works. Service says "no code, nothing wrong". So far has not repeated itself. Based on comments from this forum and others, I immediately replaced the POS Firestones with Toyo AT/CL. The tire store gave me $100 trade in value and said they have 15 sets of the Firestones in storage from other Ram takeoff's. The ride has been great so far and I have driven in the worst winter conditions of my life over Thanksgiving.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You’ll find out that many 4th gen issues have carried over to the 5th gen. Hemi tick, broken header bolts, AC Vent whine, leaking 3rd brake light, backup camera periodically working, audio cutting out, rear hollow sounding doors, I’m sure I’ve missed a few.

They have introduced a few new ones, steering wheel not re-centering when taking a left curve at 50mph (that one will scare the hell out of you the first couple times) chirping front brake pads, groaning rear brakes when backing up, tailgate must be slammed shut and I’m sure there are more depending on how your truck is optioned.

Ram seems to have a habit of never looking back and while I gave them many chances to fix some issues, they never did. I can’t blame the techs for this, there are some poorly designed things about the Ram that a tech just can’t fix.

I loved my Ram and how I made it look, the ride, the room, the power but I lost confidence in it and Ram going forward so after 18 months and 17k miles on my 5th gen, I’ve said goodbye.

Not going to sugar-coat it, I took a considerable loss but I was fortunate to have some nice equity from my last Ram to make the loss in this Ram a little less painful. I’ve been wanting to get back to a mid-sized pickup anyways and I felt it was the right time to do it due to the many “nuances” that took the joy out of driving the Ram daily.

bluebeast1562

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I too had a hard time with the looks of the new front end; prior to the purchase, I was of the opinion that they looked too much like the new Chevy's and Ford's, square vs the 4th Gen. Now I love the look of the new ride and after 3 weeks and 600 miles, nothing much to complain about except paint overspray/run on the passenger side rocker panel. Not a major thing IMO.

Jaybear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm going to be taking mine back to the dealer to get checked out but has anyone ever hear or notice a draft coming out of the center console? I can feel a draft blowing around inside when I put my hand in there or just from sitting and driving I feel the cold air coming from the console blowing against my right thigh.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I'm going to be taking mine back to the dealer to get checked out but has anyone ever hear or notice a draft coming out of the center console? I can feel a draft blowing around inside when I put my hand in there or just from sitting and driving I feel the cold air coming from the console blowing against my right thigh.

Hi Jaybear,

Sorry to hear you are experiencing this, please be sure to keep us updated on your dealer's findings! If we can be of any additional assistance while working with your dealer, we are just a PM away.

Mark
RamCares

OP
OP
BlownGP

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You’ll find out that many 4th gen issues have carried over to the 5th gen. Hemi tick, broken header bolts, AC Vent whine, leaking 3rd brake light, backup camera periodically working, audio cutting out, rear hollow sounding doors, I’m sure I’ve missed a few.

They have introduced a few new ones, steering wheel not re-centering when taking a left curve at 50mph (that one will scare the hell out of you the first couple times) chirping front brake pads, groaning rear brakes when backing up, tailgate must be slammed shut and I’m sure there are more depending on how your truck is optioned.

Ram seems to have a habit of never looking back and while I gave them many chances to fix some issues, they never did. I can’t blame the techs for this, there are some poorly designed things about the Ram that a tech just can’t fix.

I loved my Ram and how I made it look, the ride, the room, the power but I lost confidence in it and Ram going forward so after 18 months and 17k miles on my 5th gen, I’ve said goodbye.

Not going to sugar-coat it, I took a considerable loss but I was fortunate to have some nice equity from my last Ram to make the loss in this Ram a little less painful. I’ve been wanting to get back to a mid-sized pickup anyways and I felt it was the right time to do it due to the many “nuances” that took the joy out of driving the Ram daily.

So you had all those problems?
That's sad a lot of those problems still exist, but at the same time not surprised.

Did you get another truck or still have nothing.

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
My neighbor has taken his 5th gen in three times for his nav freezing on his 12” screen. He’s had to settle for a software fix “in the works” excuse. Still not fixed

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So you had all those problems?
That's sad a lot of those problems still exist, but at the same time not surprised.

Did you get another truck or still have nothing.

I did not have all of them but I did have many of them. Fortunately I didn’t have the AC Vent whine or leaks.

And yes, I’ve moved on. I went back to a mid-size truck in a Tacoma. Before family requirements, I had a couple and always enjoyed them. Now that my family is older and my truck always skipped in favor of Mom’s SUV when there are road trips, I had flexibility in what I could get. I did buy a double cab so the family still fits but I don’t know that we would want to do a 1k road trip in it as my son is a large man. I’m enjoying the heck out of the truck though. Like going home.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I went with my inner old man, LOL. Got a Limited 4WD with every gadget. I did however protect my interest. I was not sure if I would miss a full size (so far no) so I leased it for 2 years and took the equity from my old truck and banked it. If after 2 years I feel I made a mistake, I’ll be back. ;). If I like it, maybe buy it or just lease another? They’re cheap to lease as they hold their value well.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
There are websites like the NHTS and carcomplaints.com and the annual comprehensive Consumer Reports survery that their subscribers fill out each year and that cover problems reported by owners of the vehicles. It becomes obvious that certain models and model years had higher than normal levels of defects with the build or engineering or quality control (or lack thereof).

The Toyota Tundra have by far the fewest problems but on the other hand the trucks have a design that dates back to 2007 and the worst crash scores of any pickup sold in the USA.

What I value about forum posts is learning about how the dealers and the manufacturer responeded to the problems or whether they blew off the customer. I prefer not to spend $50,000 for "metal sculpture" to sit in my driveway.

Bluejoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello Members I’m glad to be a new member to forum. I purchased a 2019 2500 6.4 , 4.10 s crewcab. I have a slight shake or vibration when running idle. It’s very slight and you barely notice it. The truck drives great with power no misses. Does anyone else experience this in their Hemi s. Thanks for any assistance.

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Glad to hear that the majority of the 5th Gens are problem free.