compass module location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ed P

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2018 big horn that the with the compass displayed on the IP. (no navigation system) The compass direction is totally random. I've had the truck to 3 different dealers but nobody has a clue what causes this. My question is where is the compass module located? The parts diagram says it's the home link module in the overhead console. I disconnected it but the compass still displays on the IP. Any idea where the feed is coming from?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have a 2018 big horn that the with the compass displayed on the IP. (no navigation system) The compass direction is totally random. I've had the truck to 3 different dealers but nobody has a clue what causes this. My question is where is the compass module located? The parts diagram says it's the home link module in the overhead console. I disconnected it but the compass still displays on the IP. Any idea where the feed is coming from?
It is the home link module. It strange it displays with it disconnected. In my tests, disconnecting the module should place a "--" in place of the compass heading.

OP
OP
E

Ed P

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I disconnected the home link module and drove the truck around, and the compass still worked (as well as it ever did). any other thoughts?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I disconnected the home link module and drove the truck around, and the compass still worked (as well as it ever did). any other thoughts?
Nope...sorry.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
it could be the glitch in the EVIC or even without having navigation on the radio there is still location service that could be generating the compass heading.