Condensation under the in floor woofer on 2017 Laramie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VA-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie / 2020 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2017 Ram Laramie with the Alpine sound system. Under the passenger rear seat, instead of the storage area like on the drivers side, there is a plastic enclosure with a 10" bass speaker. I was running some wiring for my SideKick running board lights for the white puddles (hooked in to the plug for the rear under seat courtesy light) and when I removed the speaker box, the underside was covered in moisture/condensation. I have had that speaker box out 3 times now over the last 2 weeks and every time there is moisture under it. Not a ton but enough to be concerning and to make the carpet covering in that area wet.

Any ideas ? Don't have anything on the drivers side at all, only under that speaker box. Could this be caused by the air vent behind the seat backs>

bigdodge

Reaction score
Third brake light leaking is the most likely cause

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Third brake light leaking is the most likely cause

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

This. Get some real weather seal, and do you third brake light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
VA-RAM

VA-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thought about that too. After reading some posts from other members, I suspected that might be the culprit. However, there is no other corresponding moisture behind the seat, or on the carpet covering behind the seats either. Pulled the 3rd brake light lens and looked around inside, but nothing. Also pulled the courtesy light from the headliner over the back seats, nothing there either. I have suspected some moisture intrusion from those 2 vents behind the seats and have read some threads on the forum about that and whether to cover/block them, but nothing definitive has come out about it.
Thought for sure is was the 3rd brake light, but...... guess Ill reseal it anyway just to make sure...couldn't hurt anything.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I’ve had the water under the sun as well no idea where it’s coming from, no leaks from 3rd brake light.

OP
OP
VA-RAM

VA-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It really appears to be condensation as the moisture is present in tiny beads, just like you would get from two surfaces of differing temps. and it isn't throughout the entire storage area, just under one spot of the speaker enclosure and on the carpet covering directly under that spot...nowhere else.
resealed the 3rd brake light just in case and guess I'll look in a few days to see what happens. Still think the rear vents behind the doors may play a part.....:banghead:

Scherm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I have a 2017 Ram Laramie with the Alpine sound system. Under the passenger rear seat, instead of the storage area like on the drivers side, there is a plastic enclosure with a 10" bass speaker. I was running some wiring for my SideKick running board lights for the white puddles (hooked in to the plug for the rear under seat courtesy light) and when I removed the speaker box, the underside was covered in moisture/condensation. I have had that speaker box out 3 times now over the last 2 weeks and every time there is moisture under it. Not a ton but enough to be concerning and to make the carpet covering in that area wet.

Any ideas ? Don't have anything on the drivers side at all, only under that speaker box. Could this be caused by the air vent behind the seat backs>

Scherm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
VA-Ram, when you took the under seat speaker out is there much storage space? Thinking of removing the speaker but some how securing it against the back of the cab so it’s still functional. Could use that storage space.

OP
OP
VA-RAM

VA-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
VA-Ram, when you took the under seat speaker out is there much storage space? Thinking of removing the speaker but some how securing it against the back of the cab so it’s still functional. Could use that storage space.
Yeah..I woud say that there is about the same as on the drivers side, once you pull out the woofer box. The enclosures look to be made exactly the same only opposte configurations.

Last edited: