Connection between coolant leak and hemi tick (exhaust manifold)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamFP620

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, I've been procrastinating in getting the exhaust manifold fixed to resolve that flavor of the hemi tick. Now, I've developed a coolant leak that looks to be coming from the left rear corner of the engine. Based on where I see the wet spot, I feel that this could be a head gasket thing unless it's an intake manifold gasket and the stream of the leak is making it look like it could be a head gasket. I don't think, or it's hard to tell if there are any coolant type lines in that back corner of the engine.
Either way, it's an active drip of coolant every couple of seconds when the engine is running. I'm going to get the truck towed to be safe and minimize any potential additional oil/coolant contamination.

Now, the paranoid self is coming out and hoping that this leak is just a coincidence and has nothing to do with my exhaust manifold procrastination. I'm flashbacks of when I had a '96 Yukon and had the intake manifold gasket go twice on me.

Any thoughts?

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The head gasket leaked on mine externally on the passenger side of the motor. It happened when the exhaust manifold was also leaking but I think that was a coincidence. I was towing in the mountains when it let go so that is more likely why

theskier74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just had my exhaust manifold replaced on the passenger side and now I have a coolant leak somewhere. No idea if they're related but I'm definitely curious...

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I just had my exhaust manifold replaced on the passenger side and now I have a coolant leak somewhere. No idea if they're related but I'm definitely curious...
Do you know if they drilled a stud out.It's pretty easy to drill into the heads water jacket if you're not careful.That's why the weld a washer and nut to the broken stud is the better way of removing a broken stud

theskier74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you know if they drilled a stud out.It's pretty easy to drill into the heads water jacket if you're not careful.That's why the weld a washer and nut to the broken stud is the better way of removing a broken stud
I'm not sure. I do see some sort of fluid on the passenger side of my engine though, which I can't tell what it is or if it is related. I suppose I could ask?

theskier74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
this is what I was talking about. It seems like it's been there for a while but I can't tell and smells pretty oil-y.

Attachments

• IMG_1156.jpg
    IMG_1156.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1155.jpg
    IMG_1155.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 11

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

Drilling a stud should be avoided if at all possible, and the repair should be done accordingly. The only reason they would have to drill is if the stud broke off way down in the hole.....in which case they should use a template to allow them to drill in the exact correct location. Someone who drilled and hit a coolant line was lazy or stupid, or both.

Back to the OPs question, head gasket and manifold are two completely different things. One should not cause issues with the other.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45