Considering a ‘19 RAM Power Wagon or a ‘19 Sierra 1500 AT4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
WillGabriel

WillGabriel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
s

Sorry, I have had zero experience with diesels from any manufacturer.....just except, (like any vehicle really), with proper maintenance, they'll last longer than a gas block.

Thou to my understanding, the RAM 2500 HD trucks are better than the 3500 HD.

But for the small weight your lugging around, the 5.7 would have no trouble towing it....

Though, if your gonna be mostly towing with the truck, I'd consider a diesel.

Although FCA does offer a 6.4 Hemi, but only in their 2500, 3500 HD trucks. Can't get that motor with the 1500 trucks.

The one main issue though with the Hemi, s (especially the 5.7) are broken exhaust manifold bolts. FCA uses cheap ass bolts, prone to breakage when heated for the manifolds...lol, go figure, heat from exhaust....it's like they were designed to fail.
When they do, it makes an awful "ticking" sound from the engine. Sounds like a bad lifter, very noticeable, but harmless. Embarassing.

Had to replace the ones on my 05 Hemi....thought WTF?? bad lifters, nope, broken manifold bolts

I’d read that re the exhaust manifold bolts. Truly is ridiculous. I suppose every truck maker has their weakness. I’m very interested in the Cummins diesel in a 2500 option... if I could find a great deal. I’ve never had either a RAM or a diesel. I was a Tundra (Toyota in general) loyalist. They need an interior and engine choice upgrade though, IMO. Don’t like Fords (used to), and have been intrigued by the 6.2 and 10 speed in the AT4. Anyway, with towing and driving quite a bit of highway miles in my future (cause it’s in my present), it may be worth the investment in a Cummins. The mission tool trailers could get larger and the miles to drive could extend as the needs grow, so... Thanks again for your insight.

Last edited:

PWonly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
There are some pretty great deals to be had on the 19s right now. I like the exterior of the AT4, but man, that interior compared to the PW is a complete letdown.

If your concerns are towing and mileage, there’s no reason to purchase a PW. Go live the happy Cummins high life!

redman4455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Ever consider the 2500 Tradesman with the powerwagon package? You can add the 8.4in Uconnect screen now which is pretty cool. Interior isnt as nice as the Powerwagon, but it's better than my 2008 1500 Big Horn by a long shot. Saves a ton of money compared to AT4 and the normal Powerwagon.

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I do not think that you can get the big engine with the AT4. The 5.3 was the only engine for the AT4 when they introduced the new body style. Maybe something has changed. To compare apples to apples you could get the Ram 1500 with the Off Road package that offers the same features as the gmc at4 1500 but with 5.7 Hemi with more power at a lower price. I just checked and see you can get the 6.2 on the upper level packages. Chevy did not allow the 6.2 on its off road package.

Last edited:

Sled Freak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do not think that you can get the big engine with the AT4. The 5.3 was the only engine for the AT4 when they introduced the new body style. Maybe something has changed. To compare apples to apples you could get the Ram 1500 with the Off Road package that offers the same features as the gmc at4 1500 but with 5.7 Hemi with more power at a lower price.
Buddy has an AT4 with a 6.2L not sure if he had to order it or it was off the lot. His wife works sales at dealership so...

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

DarthMegaHD

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 MegaCab 4x4 Black Edition
WAGON!! Get the PeeDub for sure. Look, they’re scarce for sale in your area right? That’s because they’re so highly desirable. And desirable means high resale value. I have a 2016 ltz suburban, and quite honestly I’m disappointed. The dash is glitchy, the interior panels feel cheap, and there’s squeaks everywhere! If ram built a full size suv, guaranteed I’d have one of those right now. The chebby 5.3 does the job, but I was wishing I had the 6.2 until I found out it takes premium fuel. No thanks. My Hemi 6.4 on the other hand has the power with regular unleaded. No one can match mopar on power and value. Change my mind.

slacadjuster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I’d read that re the exhaust manifold bolts. Truly is ridiculous. I suppose every truck maker has their weakness. I’m very interested in the Cummins diesel in a 2500 option... if I could find a great deal. I’ve never had either a RAM or a diesel. I was a Tundra (Toyota in general) loyalist. They need an interior and engine choice upgrade though, IMO. Don’t like Fords (used to), and have been intrigued by the 6.2 and 10 speed in the AT4. Anyway, with towing and driving quite a bit of highway miles in my future (cause it’s in my present), it may be worth the investment in a Cummins. The mission tool trailers could get larger and the miles to drive could extend as the needs grow, so... Thanks again for your insight.

You bet, you're welcome. Glad I could be of any assistance as I've had no experience with a diesel truck...(OK, not including the work truck I drive as it's a large commercial truck).

Though I do know, that yes most definitely, if you're gonna be towing a lot (weight and time), I would for sure step up to a diesel.

As for Ram, yes I'm partial anyway, as I've always been a Mopar guy, but the Mopars I've had, none have given me any issues.
And the 2 Rams I've had?? My 05 Hemi, and the 2015 Hemi I bought brand new (in, you guessed it, 2015) were and are absolutely flawless reliability.

The 05 I traded in on my 2015, had 196,000 KM trouble free KM on it. (Yeppers kilometers as I'm in Canada) (albeit save for the broken manifold bolts mentioned earlier), and my 2015 with 55,000 KM is as tight, squeak, rattle free, as the day I drove it off the lot. I'll put it's reliability up against ANY other vehicle manufacturer.

OP
OP
WillGabriel

WillGabriel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
You bet, you're welcome. Glad I could be of any assistance as I've had no experience with a diesel truck...(OK, not including the work truck I drive as it's a large commercial truck).

Though I do know, that yes most definitely, if you're gonna be towing a lot (weight and time), I would for sure step up to a diesel.

As for Ram, yes I'm partial anyway, as I've always been a Mopar guy, but the Mopars I've had, none have given me any issues.
And the 2 Rams I've had?? My 05 Hemi, and the 2015 Hemi I bought brand new (in, you guessed it, 2015) were and are absolutely flawless reliability.

The 05 I traded in on my 2015, had 196,000 KM trouble free KM on it. (Yeppers kilometers as I'm in Canada) (albeit save for the broken manifold bolts mentioned earlier), and my 2015 with 55,000 KM is as tight, squeak, rattle free, as the day I drove it off the lot. I'll put it's reliability up against ANY other vehicle manufacturer.

I’m reassured to hear about your experience with a RAM. I did drive the 2500 diesel quite a bit over the last week. They are nice. Yet, I don’t think I need so much engine per my actual towing needs. The Mega Cab Laramie I have been looking at is marked from $75k (!!!) to $60k. It doesn’t have the 360 degree camera or heated rear seats though. I can get a loaded Power Wagon for $54k. It’s hard to resist the PW. As for the AT4, time in one has revealed some rattles in the dash area, though the vehicle itself is solid and the engine (6.2 V8) and camera package pretty sweet. So, maybe a Power Wagon is in the plans...

redman4455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I’m reassured to hear about your experience with a RAM. I did drive the 2500 diesel quite a bit over the last week. They are nice. Yet, I don’t think I need so much engine per my actual towing needs. The Mega Cab Laramie I have been looking at is marked from $75k (!!!) to $60k. It doesn’t have the 360 degree camera or heated rear seats though. I can get a loaded Power Wagon for $54k. It’s hard to resist the PW. As for the AT4, time in one has revealed some rattles in the dash area, though the vehicle itself is solid and the engine (6.2 V8) and camera package pretty sweet. So, maybe a Power Wagon is in the plans...
I mentioned this before, but in regards to the new 6.2L and 6.6L, have you researched what issues a DI engine can encounter? To me it feels like an EPA appeasing move and longevity of the engine will be destroyed. Toyota makes a good DI engine, but I dont think the rest have gotten up to speed yet. I do like gmc at4 though, I think if the engine wasn't such a hurdle for me I'd consider one.

Having offroad capability, although maybe not as much as PW, and the payload capacity to me would be perfect. I'm waiting to see what the Ford Tremor package looks like before I buy.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Fords have Port and Direct injection on the 2.7 and 3.5 5.0 to prevent carbon from collecting on the intake valve started in 2018

redman4455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
The Fords have Port and Direct injection on the 2.7 and 3.5 5.0 to prevent carbon from collecting on the intake valve started in 2018
I didnt know that! I haven't been looking at the f150 so I missed it.

slacadjuster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I’m reassured to hear about your experience with a RAM. I did drive the 2500 diesel quite a bit over the last week. They are nice. Yet, I don’t think I need so much engine per my actual towing needs. The Mega Cab Laramie I have been looking at is marked from $75k (!!!) to $60k. It doesn’t have the 360 degree camera or heated rear seats though. I can get a loaded Power Wagon for $54k. It’s hard to resist the PW. As for the AT4, time in one has revealed some rattles in the dash area, though the vehicle itself is solid and the engine (6.2 V8) and camera package pretty sweet. So, maybe a Power Wagon is in the plans..

Lol, I noticed you commented on the lack of heated seats. and from what I gather, you're in or around Nashville. Heated seats shouldn't be needed at the "coldest" of times I wouldn't think. Regardless, if your decision comes down to if said vehicle has heated seats or not, my guess is any truck will work for you.

OP
OP
WillGabriel

WillGabriel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Well, it does get below 10 degrees several days a year and I do quite a bit of driving with passengers. So, no, the heated seats aren’t a deal breaker, yet when I start comparing $50k+ trucks, details and value come into play in a BIG way. The 360 degree camera is a bigger deal. Lockers and reliability plus towing capacity are bigger factors though. Erring towards towing capability vs erring towards off-road capability. That’s the main debate IF I can get the prices in the same neighborhood. Having never owned a diesel, I’m just a bit apprehensive as to the long term expense vs benefit per them. And I’ve never owned a RAM, so I can only go by what others say regarding their reliability and the 6.4 HEMI too for that matter.

Last edited:

redman4455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Well, it does get below 10 degrees several days a year and I do quite a bit of driving with passengers. So, no, the heated seats aren’t a deal breaker, yet when I start comparing $50k+ trucks, details and value come into play in a BIG way. The 360 degree camera is a bigger deal though. Lockers and reliability plus towing capacity are bigger factors though. Erring towards towing capability vs erring towards off-road capability. That’s the main debate of I can get the prices in the same neighborhood. Having never owned a diesel, I’m just a bit apprehensive as to the long term expense vs benefit per them. And I’ve never owned a RAM, so I can only go by what others say regarding their reliability and the 6.4 HEMI too for that matter.

So many fun choices! Have you looked into the Ford with Tremor package? Things going to be a beast. That being said, it will be the first year with new 7.3 and new 10 speed, I'd probably go with the venerable PW or an optioned up Laramie 2500 6.4.

OP
OP
WillGabriel

WillGabriel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
So many fun choices! Have you looked into the Ford with Tremor package? Things going to be a beast. That being said, it will be the first year with new 7.3 and new 10 speed, I'd probably go with the venerable PW or an optioned up Laramie 2500 6.4.
I used to be a Ford truck guy based on family connections and owning a few. I don’t really prefer them now. Not anxious to jump in on the 10 speed transmission Tremor the first year. I’m guessing that 10 speed is the same one used by the GMC AT4?

Otherwise, two seemingly solid choices in the PW or the Laramie Diesel Mega Cab. I’ve had trusted friends tell me the Cummins diesel is worth it IF I am going to do more towing and hold on to the truck for awhile. There are new incentives for November per the RAM Employee Pricing discount for all Thanksgiving event. I’m double-checking tomorrow, but there appears to be a few fairly close by 2019 Laramie Mega Cabs with the Cummins marked down ~$20k as they’ve sat on the lot for a long time. That puts them at the same price as loaded 2019 PW’s (which are marked down about $10k now per the same incentives).

Last edited:

redman4455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I used to be a Ford truck guy based on family connections and owning a few. I don’t really prefer them now. Not anxious to jump in on the 10 speed transmission Tremor the first year. I’m guessing that 10 speed is the same one used by the GMC AT4?

Otherwise, two seemingly solid choices in the PW or the Laramie Diesel Mega Cab. I’ve had trusted friends tell me the Cummins diesel is worth it IF I am going to do more towing and hold on to the truck for awhile. There are new incentives for November per the RAM Employee Pricing discount for all Thanksgiving event. I’m double-checking tomorrow, but there appears to be a few fairly close by 2019 Laramie Mega Cabs with the Cummins marked down ~$20k as they’ve sat on the lot for a long time. That puts them at the same price as loaded 2019 PW’s (which are marked down about $10k now per the same incentives).
If I was going diesel, I would have a 3500 Cummins in my driveway hands down. Such a great engine. I hear you on the Ford, although I've always been Mopar myself, just familiar with the hemi I guess. I test drove a PW a couple weeks back, great truck, I don't think you would go wrong either way!