considering losing bumper with cutouts.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattman_13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I've got the dual exhaust style bumper but have always been a fan of turn downs and side exit tips

Thinking about finding someone who wants dual exit and trading them or buying one.

I could do the turn down myself as opposed to paying to have my current tips raised up to match the bumpers

What do you all think?

Polaris Pro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know a guy who had a side exhaust and it was much noisier and the MDS was much more noticeable. I think it was because of the way the sound bounced off more objects.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
But it won't bounce off your trailers as much. So, if you tow a lot, that probably would make it better.

OP
OP
mattman_13

mattman_13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I've got mds off... Was hoping for a downturn one dumped in front of the axle to bounce off the ground.. I like loud noisy trucks. But wondering if it's worth the trouble and the cost of a factory rear bumper without cutouts?

My diesel was ridiculous loud.
I'm the type that turns the music down to hear the tires sing exhaust note haha

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can easily unbolt your exhaust pipes, slide in some turn downs and try it for a couple days. I'm right there with ya, I want to get a paint to match non-notched bumper.

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I'm with you, not a big fan of the dual exhaust out the back. Although....since I got 5" tips it doesn't bother me as much. I had dumped exhaust my last 2 trucks, loved the growl.

4x4Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Id just go on Craigslist or what ever. Find a stock non dual bumper buy it put it on and sell yours. The dual bumpers go for alot more and I've seen factory non duals for like $100

TXKID

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like the styling of the dual exhaust bumpers personally, but I bet it wouldn't be hard to find someone who's willing to trade

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Not gonna lie though turn downs, and open exhaust sound best on a ripping diesel IMO. My 05 was turned down just in front of the rear axle, and I loved the way it just vibrated at idle. the FOOMP sound on startup was killer too!!

I think gassers sound good with a gentle grumble, and open on WOT. I am not as big of a fan of the turn down sound on them, but whatever floats your boat lol. I can definitely agree with your love of the raw sounds though!!

You could keep your dual exhaust bumper, and mount something funny in the cutouts, just kind of as a joke. Like little "machine guns" then get one of those keep honking I'm reloading bumper stickers :p

ram-head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I like the looks of the dual bumpers, but with so many trucks having them it kind of defeats the purpose. I had my last truck dumped and turned down. First a Flowmaster 40, then an AT3030. I loved the sound of it, and got compliments on it all the time.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You know what I really like about a dumped exhaust?
When I got bored with it, I could change the muffler easy!

I still like the Nastruck style dual out the pass side infront of the rear wheel exhaust too.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I always feel like you lose a lot of breakover clearance with the in front of tire/out the side look though.

ljvsnyder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a painted solid bumper on my 2011 2500, would trade looking to throw the diesel exhaust straight out the back.

Texasez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Where you at. I'm in Dallas with a 12 outdoorsman with the straight bumper and reverse sensors. 6000 miles and no damage.

OP
OP
mattman_13

mattman_13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Sadly guys I live in southeastern KY and am currently up in southern PA
If someone were close in that area that wanted to trade I'd be about it.

I'm gonna make it my next project to mock up the downturn exhaust and drive it around for a few days. I'll post some sound vids too.

Now as to when I'll get home to work on it? that's a better question haha.

Glad im not the only person in the boat about the duals. When the 4th gen first came out I thought it was so clean looking and now that I literally see 15+ 4th gen rams a day
I'm ready to be different. plus I could sell my dodm80 for more funds for my lift!

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I always feel like you lose a lot of breakover clearance with the in front of tire/out the side look though.

Unless you are doing some really crazy ****, that wouldn't ever be an issue.
The longer the truck, the less of a problem this is. I know on my '99 with a 3/6 drop I never once touched my exhaust. And yes, it saw off pavement when lowered. I was kind of stupid back then... (Still am!)