Considering new - options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reamer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Still undecided if I want to try and find a low-miles 1500 or buy new. There are so many incentives, the new truck is somewhat enticing. On the other hand, when I use the build feature on the Ram website, I can build a Laramie 4x4 for about 48k, but there’s nothing in inventory with in for less than 53k.

But let’s say I really could build it the way I want. I’m looking at a 4x4 Laramie, V8, or diesel, locking rear dif, level 1....
On the fence about Off Road package and Towing package. So questions.

Off Road adds 1” lift, I think, HDshocks, skid plates, and locking dif, skid plates, different tires. Are the springs the same? Would Off Road package negatively effect the trucks towing capacity (in any meaningful way)? How about ride quality? If I skipped the Off Road, I would probably want the protection package.

Towing package is primarily brake controller and towing mirrors, if I recall. I could likely get by with just the brake controller and add mirrors later, if needed.

Is the Bed Utility group worthwhile/a good value?

Is it possible to add adaptive cruise control without level 2 and other add-one I don’t want?

Last edited:

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Its tough sometimes to find exactly what you want locally. Although the internet has really helped narrow things easier. I too looked at the options, but new is new. Sometimes you never know what you could end up with a used vehicle. When I have built one on the RAM site, like you it seems the dealers almost always add options, bumping up the MSRP.

Ended up I it seems I find a truck with everything I wanted, plus a few things I didnt. Laramie is a great trim level, not everything, but most of what I really think I need.

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
Don't know about AZ dealers' offerings, but I still get updates from the dealers at Lodi and Elk Grove, CA offering large discounts on trucks, especially 2019's if you like. Discounts range up to $15K and some a little more. Near the end of the month it seems like the discounts go up, too. I think Elk Grove has >1,000 trucks on hand(?).

NOTE: I get nothing from them if you do or don't buy a truck from them.

I didn't see LSD listed in your want list, nor any mention of gear ratios. You might want to consider both---TONS of discussions on this forum about the pro's and con's of each, but I wouldn't consider any truck w/o the LSD, doubly so if you're going to be towing. Just my penny farthing's worth.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I bought a truck from the Lodi dealer---$13K discount in December. Tenga buen dia.

RainDesert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Off Road adds 1” lift, I think, HDshocks, skid plates, and locking dif, skid plates, different tires. Are the springs the same? Would Off Road package negatively effect the trucks towing capacity (in any meaningful way)? How about ride quality? If I skipped the Off Road, I would probably want the protection package.

Towing package is primarily brake controller and towing mirrors, if I recall. I could likely get by with just the brake controller and add mirrors later, if needed.

If you don't want a leveling kit later, the Offroad package would be nice for that slight lift over stock, and no it won't effect your towing capacity.

I definetly recommend getting the truck with the brake controller as an option, adding it later is possible but a lot less trouble to just get it from factory.

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 flex
A Tekonsha P3 is an easy add-on using the 3024 (I think)---wiring harness adaptor, also Tekonsha. But it will stick out wherever you attach it. The factory brake controller is discretely in the dash, looks better. I had to go with the Tek---approx. $125 from Amazon and about $15 for the harness wiring adaptor, and it is plug-and-play. I did mine in about 1/2 hour. The toughest part was getting the sticky-tape off of the factory wiring plug under the dash. The big decision was where to mount it.

I have to wonder just how easy (or expensive) it would be to add the factory towing mirrors on in place of the standard ones...?

If you're paying cash you do see the extra options' costs right up front, but if making payments the littler options don't add very much to the payments, you know? Good luck and good hunting.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Still undecided if I want to try and find a low-miles 1500 or buy new. There are so many incentives, the new truck is somewhat enticing. On the other hand, when I use the build feature on the Ram website, I can build a Laramie 4x4 for about 48k, but there’s nothing in inventory with in for less than 53k.

But let’s say I really could build it the way I want. I’m looking at a 4x4 Laramie, V8, or diesel, locking rear dif, level 1....
On the fence about Off Road package and Towing package. So questions.

Is the Bed Utility group worthwhile/a good value?

Is it possible to add adaptive cruise control without level 2 and other add-one I don’t want?

I have the Off-Road Group in my 2020 Laramie. The ride is fantastic. I never did drive one without the ORG, so I can't say if the ride is affected or not. But it rides much better than a 4th gen Laramie without the off road option. I would suggest just driving each, and making your own assessment.

I would avoid the tow package, and just include the brake controller. That's what I did, and was able to retain my power folding mirrors. I rarely tow anything, and even when I do it's usually not wide enough to need the extended mirrors. But the mirrors are nice to have if you need them. Also keep in mind they did not redesign the tow mirrors, so they look the same as they have forever. The thing that will affect towing and cargo capacities is weight. So any option you add which increases the truck weight, will negatively affect capacity.

Bed utility group is very handy to have for tying down cargo. The adjustable cleats allow you to easily secure virtually any load. If you get the bed utility group, I'd strongly suggest also getting the bed divider. Very nice to have to keep a small load near the tailgate, especially if you have a bed cover.

I don't think you can get adaptive CC without the level 2 equipment group.

I didn't see LSD listed in your want list, nor any mention of gear ratios. You might want to consider both---TONS of discussions on this forum about the pro's and con's of each, but I wouldn't consider any truck w/o the LSD, doubly so if you're going to be towing. Just my penny farthing's worth.

Discussions about anti-spin vs e-locker aside, he did include a locking rear diff in his "wants" list.

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 flex
So after leaving this thread, I went this next one (below), maybe you should read it and the answers he got.... If you swap things out, care is needed.

I picked up a new 2014 Ram 1500 yesterday I noticed today that the outside temperature was reading -40F. I have unhooked batteries twice but that didn't help. Has anyone else had this issue?

Also, the check engine light came on today. I reset by unhooking batteries but it happenec again. The only thing I have done is added tow mirrors that I had from my 2010 Laramie. They have blinker lights etc witched my Laramie had. My 2010 does not just electric and defrost. I still plugged both pluggs in the door. Could this cause engine light to come on? Thank you in advance.

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 flex
I have the Off-Road Group in my 2020 Laramie. The ride is fantastic. I never did drive one without the ORG, so I can't say if the ride is affected or not. But it rides much better than a 4th gen Laramie without the off road option. I would suggest just driving each, and making your own assessment.

I would avoid the tow package, and just include the brake controller. That's what I did, and was able to retain my power folding mirrors. I rarely tow anything, and even when I do it's usually not wide enough to need the extended mirrors. But the mirrors are nice to have if you need them. Also keep in mind they did not redesign the tow mirrors, so they look the same as they have forever. The thing that will affect towing and cargo capacities is weight. So any option you add which increases the truck weight, will negatively affect capacity.

Bed utility group is very handy to have for tying down cargo. The adjustable cleats allow you to easily secure virtually any load. If you get the bed utility group, I'd strongly suggest also getting the bed divider. Very nice to have to keep a small load near the tailgate, especially if you have a bed cover.

I don't think you can get adaptive CC without the level 2 equipment group.

Discussions about anti-spin vs e-locker aside, he did include a locking rear diff in his "wants" list.

Oops! I stand corrected, my face is red. I should read more carefully. :sorrysign: huapo

OP
OP
R

Reamer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for all the thoughtful replies!

The post about LSD had me thinking about my early years growing up in Woodstock, NY. I had to look it up. And I've done more reading since my initial post re LSD and Locking rear Dif. Interesting - for my use the LSD would probably be most appropriate.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Dealers and the factory want to make as much profit as possible. When I looked into the $995 multifunction tailgate I found that to get it I also needed to spend $895 on the bed utility group and $1,695 Level 1 Equipment Group so adding the new tailgate added $3,585 to the truck's MSRP. To get the 33-gal gas tank I also needed to buy the $1,695 Level 1 Equipment Group.

The entire process has left a very bad taste in my mouth. I know when I am being taken for a ride.