Considering some custom rear suspension mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've been reading up on some of the issues people have had with lowering the rear suspension on these trucks, whether it be the panhard bar or what not. I've also read Unbrokens thread about his modifications to relocate the LCA moun of the axle to correct the geometry on them, but I want to take it one step further...

I really, really like the idea of using a modular, maybe adjustable LCA relocation bracket on the truck. Not only could you get the correct geometry, you could do it with the stock LCAs, and you could adjust to fit towing or just driving needs. Furthermore you could bolt the suckers on when you lowered the truck instead of welding them. Not as clean but a lot easier for everyday tool jockeys.

I also want to do something really stupid and make a Watts link for my truck. I've been into straight axle 3-link mustangs for awhile and NOTHING beats a Watts for locating the axle. I can say comfortably that putting one on my car made a WORLD of difference. The only real question is to mount the arms or the central bellcrank to the axle... I'm a fan of the differential cover mounted bellcrank but that requires a custom diff cover. The chassis mounted bellcrank is something I could fab up pretty easily.

And of course, if there's enough interest in the relocation brackets and Watts link I can start producing them. The only real obstacle I face is that I don't have a shop to work in/with here in Houston, so if anyone want's to recommend one I'm all ears.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
The problem with anything bolt on for the link bars is the sheer amount of crap welded to the axle. The axle mounts are just a pain in the ass. You can easily do a bolt on mount for the lower bar but to move the upper bar down and into position it will hit the top of the mount for the lower bar. In the end it's just easier to cut it all off and weld in new stuff. I'm not saying it can't be done but it will never be ideal as a true bolt on kit.
A watts link...I'd do the bell crank on the diff cover just for simplicity.

OP
OP
Dubstep Shep

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The problem with anything bolt on for the link bars is the sheer amount of crap welded to the axle. The axle mounts are just a pain in the ass. You can easily do a bolt on mount for the lower bar but to move the upper bar down and into position it will hit the top of the mount for the lower bar. In the end it's just easier to cut it all off and weld in new stuff. I'm not saying it can't be done but it will never be ideal as a true bolt on kit.
A watts link...I'd do the bell crank on the diff cover just for simplicity.

I haven't taken anything but a cursory glance at the axle. I'm sure a bolt on setup is possible, but it may effect whether the stock LCAs can be reused. But you can make anything work with enough money. Not what I'm looking to do though, but I'm not opposed to copying your setup.

I agree the bell crank setups on the diff are simpler in parts. You can reuse the panhard bar mount on the Pass side and probably bolt or weld one to the driver side. The most difficult part is getting a diff cover custom made with the proper mounting points for the bell crank. Not an easy task.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
You don't need a whole diff cover...just fab up a mounting bracket that bolts on over the stock cover with longer bolts. There's tons of them on the market like that already.

OP
OP
Dubstep Shep

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You don't need a whole diff cover...just fab up a mounting bracket that bolts on over the stock cover with longer bolts. There's tons of them on the market like that already.

You COULD use something like that, but I'm not a huge fan of it.

You mean something like this I assume?
MWL5400SpiderCenterDetailAssembled450x300_zps3bff3903.jpg

The issue I have with setups like these is that the entire lateral force in the vehicle is putting those diff bolts in bending (sort of) and shear in two places. A diff cover setup only puts them in shear in one place. Not saying I've ever seen someone break those bolts because I've never even heard of it, but I would hate to be the first. The other issue is those setups tend to be longer and can be hard to fit. I wouldn't be opposed to simply welding an additional plate onto the diff cover either, but putting those bolts in bending worries me.

There are a ton of options. Whenever we swap wheels I definitely want your $0.02 on the subject.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
No...like this:

kpc-watts-link.jpg

OP
OP
Dubstep Shep

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Interesting... Only single shear on that guy. Me like.

What is that exactly?

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
That's a kit from KP Components.