Consumer Report 2019 Minor Engine Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bamacommander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Saw in the most recent Consumer Report that they listed the 2019 could have minor engine issues. Does anyone know what minor issues people are having. I have the Hemi, so far so good with 38k miles.

mlrtimemach

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Tradesman 4X4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Havent heard anything but I'm good at 36,000 with my 6.4. Did they specify which engine?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

yakalong

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm at 50k with no issues (lets keep it that way)

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Then I'd consider it a useless article, and not to be trusted. In reality, any vehicle ever built "can have minor engine issues". It doesn't take a rocket scientist to make that determination LOL. CR isn't the best thing to go by when making car buying decisions IMHO.

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Saw in the most recent Consumer Report that they listed the 2019 could have minor engine issues. Does anyone know what minor issues people are having. I have the Hemi, so far so good with 38k miles.
Funny, you would think the leaking 3rd brake light, that sometimes leaves people stranded because of the starter electronics that gets wet under the rear seat would get the press.

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Probably those with the start stop technology and are not used to it (or don't like it).

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Probably those with the start stop technology and are not used to it (or don't like it).
How would that translate to minor engine issues? The stop/start on my etorque works perfectly when it's enabled. It's nothing like any stop/start systems I've experienced on other vehicles I've driven with that tech.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will say that my 19 Hemi is noisier than my 15 was.Maybe built on a Fri or hangover Mon.

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How would that translate to minor engine issues? The stop/start on my etorque works perfectly when it's enabled. It's nothing like any stop/start systems I've experienced on other vehicles I've driven with that tech.

I like it also, in the vehicles I have driven with start / stop. But because it is different, some people complain about it, and ofter want to be able to turn it off. I'm not sure if that falls under engine complaints, but my guess is it does.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I like it also, in the vehicles I have driven with start / stop. But because it is different, some people complain about it, and ofter want to be able to turn it off. I'm not sure if that falls under engine complaints, but my guess is it does.
Fair enough, you're entitled to speculate as much as the rest of us LOL. Not sure if you're aware or not, but there is a button to turn stop/start off on trucks with that system.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
I stopped reading consumer reports in the late 90’s when it became biased by allowing their advertisers to control the reviews through annual renewals. It was a far better unbiased consumer information source when subscribers paid annual subscriptions. But I digress....

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Consumer Reports must have been making their initial review, after they have had the vehicle for a period of time, they update what the drivers have heard, felt & wondered about.

I also don't believe that they know anything about vehicles, they should report on household items

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi

My story with the start stop crap, is this. My wife has a 2019 Pacifica 35th not a Hemi or Ram I know, but this is what happened on Friday. The van is a 3.6 with 15k miles. Its had its hiccups with electrical issues. Electric Rear Doors not working, Electric Hatch Not working. Chrysler said both times it was a software update. Supposedly the same thing with the transmission issue we had. It was shifting weird and would fall on its face for a brief moment if you were trying to get up to speed on the freeway. So Friday we were set to go on a 3 hour trip. It had been revving up to around 1500 rpm and would not come back down. You would have to rev it hard once to get it to idle down. I only run Exxon in all of our cars. I decided to clean the van up. I took it to the car wash. Killed it to finish detailing it and vacuuming it. Go to start it and the starter engages and then stops. It was weird, but then I attempted to start it again. This time I get the airbag light and the service shifter light. After waiting 4 hours for the tow truck, fighting with Chrysler Care to wave 3 miles and get it delivered to our dealership it arrives. Its late in the day, so we had to wait until Monday. I get the call around 2pm that the battery is bad and so is the Auxiliary battery which runs the start stop. What I was told was they see them go out as soon as 6 months. The start stop is never used on the Van as it is the first thing we turn off. Its annoying and sometimes dangerous if you aren't paying attention when try to cross a street. It is fixed now, but my wife is done with it. Once the lease is up, she is going back to Cadillac. We also had a 18 Pacifica and never once had any issues with it. It was traded in at 12k miles. I will say this at least with Dodge or Chrysler you can turn them off. My mom had a 18 Traverse and there was no option to turn it off. That would drive me crazy.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
We had a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the V6 and the suicide stop / start technology. My wife absolutely HATED that vehicle. We ended up buying out the lease early just to get it out of our lives. Thankfully, we could disable start / stop as there were too many close calls at intersections, stop lights, etc... where an extra second and a half to restart the vehicle and get out of the way would have ended badly.

Interestingly enough.... NO SINGLE MEDIA OUTLET posts numbers where restarting a vehicle resulted in an otherwise avoidable accident. Hmm...

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Consumer Reports must have been making their initial review, after they have had the vehicle for a period of time, they update what the drivers have heard, felt & wondered about.

I also don't believe that they know anything about vehicles, they should report on household items

Same

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I semi permanently disabled the stop/start on our 2020 JGC as soon as I got it home from the dealer. I let my wife test drive it initially with it enabled and it scared the hell out of her so it’s been disabled since. It’s miles ahead of the 2021 Ford Explorer we also tested at the same time.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

Back in the pre-innerwebs days I had an easier time believing CRs stats, but the way info is instant today and how people's expectations have changed, I put little value in CR info.

I'm only at ~25K miles with my 2019 classic that was a rental for it's first year and 15K miles. No issues aside from a leaking high mounted brake light which I expected anyway given the same thing happened on my 2017.

The only undue noise I get from my 2019 classic is occasional mechanical cooling fan ROAR on startup and takeoff. It doesn't happen every time, but probably 50% of the time, but it always settles out after 10-20 seconds which is why I haven't bothered trying a FCA dealer on it. Where I'm going with that is, today's average consumer would instantly be online complaining about that and the "data" adds up.

Last edited: