Consumer Reports Predicted Reliability for '22 Ram 1500 Classic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
If I went by a magazine, friends, family or any other source I would have never bought the first Chrysler product. 46 years later I still by them and nothing else. They ALL have pros and cons, not one is perfect. I don't need to try anything else because I've worked on and test drove them all over the years for other people and I see others who complains about them yet will still buy one. You have no clue the ridicule I've taken and heard my whole life because I'm a Chrysler fan (I've laughed at them all) then watch the same one's buy one. "WHY...... WHY? If you find something that works for you stay with it. The grass is not greener on the other side (It is greener over the septic system tho). I go from my own experience and no one else's. I believe me the most!

Last edited:

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

Speaking of reviews.....​

Bought a shop vac online, but they rejected my product review as "too ambiguous"​

I said that it didn't suck

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I bought my truck because of the rider comfort (great cabin for a 6.4 dude carrying some weight), the drive (coil back suspension was revolutionary in 2010), the cost (it was 6-10 grand under chevy/ford), and class leading HP in 2010 by a lot, and a nice thing was it was truck of the year that year and many more, but not why I bought mine. I test drove a bunch of fords and a chevy, titan for kicks, and tundra. I test drove the ram, bought it on the spot, nothing compares to the drive, that coil back was a great idea for guys with bad backs.

Since then, I got hemi tick 3500 miles new and learned a lot about the gear/rfe ratio I can't stand (my fault for not researching and getting 3.92's), Learned about TIPM garbage, and the WIN modules, and it changes nothing for me. Because even if I end up with a cam job or not, or other repairs or not, those prior things were still more important to me then opting for a ford or chevy, and nothing else is even an option for trucks imo. Even if there was a swell of support for the consumer reports rating, I would still have bought this truck apples to apples, even with a lower reliability ratings, which I tend to agree with.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I bought a 4x4 slt for 24 grand cash, plus tax, there was no way I could have got a ford anywhere close to that. Chevy was closer, but I hate chevy. I would never even think to read consumer reports facing the facts on the ground in my test drives.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
CR is a source of information, just like this forum and the people who come here and ask about a truck they are eyeing. If you buy solely based on the results from CR testing and their reader responses, you are still at the whim of if the thing you buy was built on a good day or has some glitch. It is sometimes hard anymore to buy quality, but using CR and every other resource available can help reduce, not prevent, the odds of getting a lemon product. But it can be worth it tiat least read what hundreds/thousands of others have to say to find some type of recurring theme, then decide what is best for yourself and if the shared risks are acceptable to you.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yup. Same here.

I am not brand loyal, though - I move with the times, depends on which batch of executives are least destructive at any given time. Chevy was very good in the 90's, then took a major c*r*a*p in the 00's transition to bean counter Mary Barra. Ford was failing ecoboosts and powerstrokes right and left, and rode like s*h*i*t, enter Ram - just after shucking the Germans. Daimler bought Chrysler for $35B and sold for $7B, is how mismatched and mismanaged it was. Gen III Hemi was born about then, and it was off to the races.

And this is EXACTLY why I worry about Fiat and Peugeot milking Chrysler's carcass yet again. I sense Ford is on the upswing today.

njjeff201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E Torque Hemi
Never EVER trusted CR!!! Go to YouTube for info. There are people on there testing almost everything!! Never was a BD fan. Just remember you get what you pay for.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
CR is a source of information, just like this forum and the people who come here and ask about a truck they are eyeing.

More like from a fortune cookie, given they are attempting to predict the future. At least people here are sharing real experiences, mostly.

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
Consumer Reports is many times short sighted. I have read some articles about a 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD I owned that were out right totally wrong. So their research is flaws.

Sully1960

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e Tourque
Many years ago I used to swear by consumer reports. After following their recommendations a couple of times, and getting burned, I realized their ratings are not typically based on "best" product. Their reviews seem to be based on BEST VALUE... balance between price and features (not necessarily quality). So if you're looking for the best value, follow CR recommendations. If you are looking for the best product, then look elsewhere for recommendations.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
More like from a fortune cookie, given they are attempting to predict the future. At least people here are sharing real experiences, mostly.
Vehicles are rated for reliability based on the responses they receive from persons who own the vehicles, which includes data on repair types and costs. The results are representative of the experiences of those owners and are offered as one tool to consider when purchasing. They are not predicting the future and don't state that they are trying, only provide past reliability. CR does also state that data may not be applicable when the model changes significantly. Everyone can decide for themselves how much weight they give to each piece of data that they come across. I myself tend to prefer results from well-designed statistical studies rather than anecdotal information, however in the end I buy what I like the best and keep a fund, as in not buying a warranty, that I use for repairs if needed. Trucks are machines, and on average machines break with some brands having higher frequency of occurrence. Just the way it is.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Vehicles are rated for reliability based on the responses they receive from persons who own the vehicles, which includes data on repair types and costs. The results are representative of the experiences of those owners and are offered as one tool to consider when purchasing. They are not predicting the future and don't state that they are trying, only provide past reliability. CR does also state that data may not be applicable when the model changes significantly. Everyone can decide for themselves how much weight they give to each piece of data that they come across. I myself tend to prefer results from well-designed statistical studies rather than anecdotal information, however in the end I buy what I like the best and keep a fund, as in not buying a warranty, that I use for repairs if needed. Trucks are machines, and on average machines break with some brands having higher frequency of occurrence. Just the way it is.

Didn't read the whole thread, did you?

Me:

• 2022 Rivian R1T: 2/5
  • 2022 Tesla Cybertruck: 2/5
Explain to me how those ratings are from surveys of vehicle owners.

CamperMike responded:

Your question led me to find their details. Their explanation was that the rivian was a new model in a new category from a new manufacturer so they anticipate lower than average reliability... so they admit it's a guess :)

So, yes, they are predicting the future and obviously you can't survey owners of vehicles that don't exist outside of prototyping yet.

sam darakjy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Wow... I just purchased the 22 Silverado 2500. Hope I made the right choice.

Chopemupgood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
I would call absolute BS since the Chevy gets the tops and they are and have been the worst rated for so long I can't remember. What I do see is what I always see in this, they are rating based on NO reliable information or sources other than what THEY think. I don't listen to that, give me 5 years of stats. I bought my Ram based the years of respect that they have been garnering. Yeah they have had bad apples in the past but so does everyone.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
Ah the ol "here is a list of who paid us the most", and Ram paid them the least eh?
A common misconception, but completely and totally wrong.

To educate everyone about CR.... Consumers Reports is the only national rating organization that accepts no payments of any kind from manufacturers, retailers, and suppliers of any kind or of anything they rate. Their funding comes only from members, donations from individuals, estates, and nonprofits. They buy their own vehicles (and resell them just like the rest of us) for both short term and long term testing.

My only criticism of their surveys is that they only survey members. But never the less the surveys are universally admired by statisticians (like myself) for their methodology, huge number of respondents, scope and comprehensiveness. Nobody, repeat that NOBODY rates consumer goods as well as Consumer Reports.

Regarding outside influence, not only do they not accept money from suppliers, they are governed by a board of directors that are elected by members. One membership = one vote. No member or company can own a block of voting shares to dominate the board.

I do have issues with some of the political and public policy positions that are taken by Consumer Report's parent organization, Consumer's Union, but their product testing organization is second to none. Which is why I am still a member.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
  • 2022 Rivian R1T: 2/5
  • 2022 Tesla Cybertruck: 2/5
Explain to me how those ratings are from surveys of vehicle owners.
Her is what Consumer Reports says how they rated the Cybertruck:

"Our extensive survey data, combined with our technical knowledge, allows us to expertly predict the reliability of new and redesigned models. We expect the 2022 Cybertruck to be less reliable than other new cars. This prediction is based on Tesla's brand history."

My translation: "Tesla cant make trouble free cars the first year of a model, but we at CR are honest enough to admit it."

My translation of that 5/5 score on owner satisfaction: "Our membership owners of Teslas are so sold (brainwashed) on this car that they don't care that they are just Beta testing a trouble filled experiment produced by an egomaniac."

The rest of their Tesla report repeats what Tesla says in shareholder calls and press releases. I is quite critical of the claims about the expected performance, reliability or range. CR doubts that Tesla's can deliver this vehicle, as it was prototyped, noting that we shouldn't expect to see anything until the end of 2022. At the earliest.

As for the Rivian's Ratings:
"We expect the 2021 R1T to be less reliable than other new cars. This prediction is based on Rivian being a start-up brand, and the R1T is one of its first models of the Electric vehicle type."

My translation: They rated it 2 because Ford's involved. It should be 1.

The rest of the Rivian report says the company's predicted owner satisfaction rating is based on how owners have rated similar vehicles.

My translation: CR expects potential owners to be like Tesla's. Brainwashed to not care about reliability. They will like it whether or not it catches fire, breaks down, suffers a dozen recalls. They will be happy Beta testers.

So, once you realize who was surveyed (members who own electric Fords, Tesla and other electric vehicles), I think these ratings are as expected. But the Rivian should be rated 1 for reliability...

No, I am not buying these things.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
OK, now you forced me into long winded mode.:cool:

Consumer Reports promises to give you the best bang for your buck and Reliability ratings, anytime someone asks about what the best widget the reply usually is Check Consumer Reports. I'm pointing out that you should take their ratings with a grain of salt.
What else did they get wrong you ask,:sneaky: back in the late 90's the mrs needed a vacuum, now we've had hoovers, electrolux's no problems with either but CR rated the Sharp upright the best bang for the buck and great predicted reliability. 2 months after the warranty ran out (14 months old) the brush bar started screeching and finally seized so I wound up buying the parts & fixing it. the following 2 years other parts broke AND since it wasn't one of the leading vacuum manufacturers we had to drive 20 miles away to find bags for it, not a major problem but an annoyance. turned out to be the worst vacuum we've ever owned. forward to the mid 2000's, looking to by a rechargeable weed whacker. CR rated the black & decker tops. They rated its cutting ability but NEVER mentioned the most important factors with those critters, at least as far as I'm concerned, which was how long the battery charge lasted and how long to recharge. So I go to Lowes & buy it, bring it home, opened it up looked at the manual & find the battery takes 8 hours to charge so if I don't get all of the trimming done with 1 charge I have to wait until evening to finish. Well back to lowes that went. I bought one that CR didn't even list, the WORX which Lowes had a special, get a free battery so 2 batteries (1 hour charge time). still have it, I use that as my edger (has a little wheel to roll on). Forward a couple more years, I was looking for a good cordless drill / Impact driver kit for work around the house. I bought whatever model kit (containing a Drill, an Impact Driver 2 batteries & a fast charger) of Ridgid that home depot had at the time. A few months later I saw ratings by CR, once again NO mention of run time or recharge times in any of the cordless reviews. They had reviews of the kit and of the individual drill & impact driver separately. The individual pieces were both rated tops but the kit containing the same model #'s was rated average????? couldn't figure out what the difference was and they had nothing to say about it. I assumed 2 different people did the single piece versus the kit, which if they're running their business correctly there should be standard test procedures and rating criteria for each device. didn't give me a warm feeling.

I've had the same kind of experience. We bought a kitchen based on CR ratings in 1999. What nobody realized in 1999 was that Maytag was in trouble and its 30 years of reliability ratings for kitchen appliances were no longer deserved. CR and everyone else made the same mistake.

One problem with CR's ratings is that they can't afford to rate every product in a class and there are vast gaps in what they select. So they select products based on what members bought in passed. As an example, try to find ratings for Ariens lawnmowers and lawn tractors. Most years there are none. Yet they always rate Ariens snowblowers. The other problem with taking surveys of owners is that they tell CR about past reliability and past owner satisfaction. Its the best anyone can do.

Rzrbrn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Diesel
I trust and use CR evaluations, then go to various forums, then Youtube. It works for me. I have had many vehicles over the years. Tundra was the best, hands down. 2ooK miles and not one recall. I now have a 2019 RAM 2500 4x4. Had a recall issued the 2nd day of ownership, nothing major. I like it but it has a few weaknesses: The transmission is clunky and the gear limit buttons are on the hub of the steering wheel. When I bought it I thought that would be ideal, however I can't reach it with my thumb without letting go of the steering wheel, then I have to visually hunt for it because I am turning the wheel around curves... not optimal. All in all, the RAM seems to be very nice in most other respects. Now if I can just find a jug of DEF when I need it...and remember to put Diesel Kleen in the fuel tank...and hope that the CP4 fuel pump is recalled...and...