Convince me to buy a Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll do you one better, convince you DONT buy a ram.. They often tick, and smoke (which is normal according to Ram) Mine has a bad shudder at take off and a rear differential that whines, also Normal according to Ram. My Cruise control won't turn on often times, no issue according to ram. In short my truck that I bought new off the lot with 10 miles I believe on it has behaved Since new, as a 15 yr Vehicle with near 200K miles on it. Actually it has been worse as I had a chevy express van with with nearly 200 on it, that finally did develop a rear diff whine, it never once ticked or smoked.

OP
OP
B

BillinNM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Quadcab 4X2
Engine
Pentastar 6
Well, I went ahead and bought a 2018 4X2 Quadcab Tradesman in Albuquerque and put about 300 miles on it coming home. First impressions of the Pentastar 3.6 are sure favorable, and the driver's seat did not kill my back. Good radio and very good speakers. Empty, the ride is a bit stiff, but better than an F-150, especially the rear end.

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
First impressions of the Pentastar 3.6 are sure favorable, and the driver's seat did not kill my back.

At first I was leery of buying the V6 myself, but they said 305hp, so I was willing to give it a go. The test drive clinched it, and as time passes, I'm honestly damned glad I did it. No offense at all to the hemi and diesel crowd, but a constant 24mpg on the roads I drive plus more than enough 'oomph to spare for my needs? I'm good...

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
We truck guys that are older / and or maybe just the general public have to get the idea of a V6 engines being way under power for a truck out of our heads, was not that long ago the V8s only had 300hp so there is no reason to think the current V6 with 300hp would not be up to the task for most everyone really.

Sure that the V6 would do everything I need but I just wanted the tire burning power of the Hemi myself. :)

Black W900

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
We truck guys that are older / and or maybe just the general public have to get the idea of a V6 engines being way under power for a truck out of our heads, was not that long ago the V8s only had 300hp so there is no reason to think the current V6 with 300hp would not be up to the task for most everyone really.

Sure that the V6 would do everything I need but I just wanted the tire burning power of the Hemi myself. :)

The power has nothing to do with it in my opinion.
I don't like the fact that I would be asking a much smaller engine to perform the same work that my Hemi can do without breaking a sweat.
That small engine is working way harder per cubic inch than I want it to.
The trucking industry tried to go to smaller displacement engines a few years ago and even though those smaller displacements were rated at pretty respectable horsepower and torque, they were not really up to the task and wore out much faster than their higher displacement brethren.
The Ford Eco Boost engines are very quick and have pretty good HP and TQ ratings but they are just not up to the task in the long run when compared to a larger displacement engine.
I have a friend that owns a paving company and he has a bunch of Eco Boost motors in his fleet....He says that based on the Eco Boost,he will never buy another V6 engine for any industrial application.

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Well that's the thing, though... If you're towing a moderate to heavy load all the time, doing it for commercial purposes, or towing 7.5k+ loads, it makes more sense to get a V8 or diesel, for the exact reasons you mention.

A light 25' camper-trailer once/twice a year, a small livestock trailer for goats, or a 16' fishing boat? A v6 will work that just fine.

Last edited:

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
The power has nothing to do with it in my opinion.
I don't like the fact that I would be asking a much smaller engine to perform the same work that my Hemi can do without breaking a sweat.
That small engine is working way harder per cubic inch than I want it to.
The trucking industry tried to go to smaller displacement engines a few years ago and even though those smaller displacements were rated at pretty respectable horsepower and torque, they were not really up to the task and wore out much faster than their higher displacement brethren.
The Ford Eco Boost engines are very quick and have pretty good HP and TQ ratings but they are just not up to the task in the long run when compared to a larger displacement engine.
I have a friend that owns a paving company and he has a bunch of Eco Boost motors in his fleet....He says that based on the Eco Boost,he will never buy another V6 engine for any industrial application.

As you said power has nothing to do with it but then you state power has everything to do with it by saying your more powerfull Hemi can do it with out breaking a sweat. ?

I was also comparing older V8 motors like in the late 80s and early 90s to the 3.6 and stateing that the new 3.6 can basicly do whatever those old motors could and was not saying that you should be doing with them what a modern Hemi V8 can do, just all I was saying.
I do think the 3.6 has been proven to be a great solid motor and like you and your friend state if worked past its limits will not last as long but that could be said for any motor.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Don't forget the sound too 69! I love the sound of my HEMI even through the factory exhaust it sounds awesome. As I've mentioned before I owned an F150 with the 3.5 ECOBOOST and it was a badass ****. The low speed torque of that motor when you hammered it was very reminiscent of the big blocks of the past. That being said the only thing you heard at hammertime was the turbos kicking in and nothing else. Whistling turbos give millenials a hard on not 50 somethings like me. I'm not knocking anyones choices of taking the Pentastar over the HEMI just my two cents worth. Dodge/RAM has always made their V8's sound fantastic right from the factory. The only other vehicle out there that I can tell strictly by the sound of the exhaust is the Mustang sense they've pretty much tuned them all to sound the same since the early 80's.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Drives me crazy these kids joining the military now. Makes me want to throat punch each one of them. So they stop complaining.

2018 2500 6.4 4x4 4.10 Amsoil SS 0w-40, Softopper
Black Rhino Armory 18x9 +12mm
Cooper Stt MAXX LT295/70R18

2016 Durango 5.7 AWD 3.07 Amsoil SS 5W-30
1996 Nissan Altima 2.4 Amsoil SS 5W-30

Last edited:

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well, ever since wall-to-wall counseling was stopped...

Sometimes you need to go out back and settle some ****. But you know feelings and ****.

SJGUSMC21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Yeah I spelled it wrong. Hell its not worth the trouble to correct as far as I’m concerned.

Wasn't talking about your spelling.....the word...and the generation is funny and sad a the same time.....

Being a 21 year Marine Infantryman, I can relate.

As for the topic of this thread, can't talk you into buying one. Wish I hadn't. Loved Dodge, but burn me and I learn. I'm slow.....sometimes real slow...but not stupid.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn't talking about your spelling.....the word...and the generation is funny and sad a the same time.....

Being a 21 year Marine Infantryman, I can relate.

As for the topic of this thread, can't talk you into buying one. Wish I hadn't. Loved Dodge, but burn me and I learn. I'm slow.....sometimes real slow...but not stupid.
No problem. Thanks for your service! You got to be a real man to put 21 years in the Corps that’s for damn sure.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
...or really, really love the taste of crayons.

(/me ducks and runs like hell, laughing...)

LMAO!!!