Coolant Electric Fan controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nuno

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi guys,
I am designing an electric fan controller to be used in our Hemi's (I think works on all cars actually)

So difference from the ones available is that these will be OBD2 controlled, so, instead of having probe sensors in radiator or coolant pipes... it uses your OBD2 (dials) ECU readings.

Also, it will be dimmable to minimize rush currents and eventually control Votlage dip from battery, and of course adjustable set points.

It will control 2 electric fans (The set-up I am building for my truck high and low fan) and in the future can also address transmission temp (for those like me that have a transmission radiator also)

Is it something that you guys would buy at all?
I am designing it for me and test it, and will make it avaiable for sale after.

Cheers
Nuno

Bloody_Knuckles

USN 81-86
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Okay, but have you thought about how you are going to turn on the fans? What outputs are available to drive two fans? Or at least the electronic relays that control them?

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The idea is certainly there. I've always hated how seemingly difficult it was to properly get an electronic fan setup to reliably come on. The little BS 'temp sensors' that you push through the fins are garbage.

I know about 4 trucks ago I ended up adding a temp switch and it work flawlessly (the ol 5.9 had 2 blanks on the intake manifold. Just drilled and tapped the second one.

Price point is almost always going to be the sticking point, I don't think people are going to pay $100+ for something like this, I could be wrong.

OP
OP
N

Nuno

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Back...
I have it working now.
Tee controller, being OBD2, has an added cost of OBD2 driver... but I think is on the 70bucks total for 1 fan and 80 for 2.
Power comes from wire to battery direct with Fuses.

Test with 1 fan was pretty good, but I wanted to add a second fan close to radiator exit for extreme conditions and will also be including a trans fluid temp sensor on that radiator.