Coolant leak, opinions please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
So I had a cracked heater core and it was
Leaking into the hvac box. So I replaced it and thought the end of my coolant leak was over. Well my passenger side carpet is soaked in coolant and now I'm pissed cause I have to clean it and let it dry but more importantly I dont know why its leaking this time. I dont hear any water swooshing around in the box anymore so I dont believe its leaking from the heater core itself but I'm leaning towards the hoses not actually being clamped on properly. I just wanted to post to see if anyone knows to pinpoint exact spots of these leaks before I start trial by error stuff. I'm just hoping that the heater core itself is actually good. Also debating if I wanna pull the dash and run the truck with the dash off so I can visually see where the leak Is

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The best thing to do would be to get your hands on a cooling system pressure tester. Pressurize the cooling system while the engine is cold and stick a mirror up close to the heater hose clamps to see if coolant is seeping past the clamps.
Now, it also would not be the first time that I have seen a brand new heater core leak into the HVAC housing and the floor.

My motto for the longest time has been..

"Just because it is new does not mean it's good"

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The best thing to do would be to get your hands on a cooling system pressure tester. Pressurize the cooling system while the engine is cold and stick a mirror up close to the heater hose clamps to see if coolant is seeping past the clamps.
Now, it also would not be the first time that I have seen a brand new heater core leak into the HVAC housing and the floor.

True story, had to replace heater core in late fall 2013...it failed couple weeks later and puked coolant all over the passenger floor again and had to replace it again. Six years and holding.

now I'm pissed cause I have to clean it and let it dry

Doesn't matter how clean you think you got it, you can get it rinsed and dry to a point, but I can tell you it will still be under the carpet. There was still ******* HOAT under the carpet when I pulled it up to replace it back in March [emoji2959][emoji2959]. Had to clean that up real well before putting the sound deadener down.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
as mentioned , opressure test and dont think its good just because its new.

OP
OP
Ian_Olivas

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
as mentioned , opressure test and dont think its good just because its new.
True story, had to replace heater core in late fall 2013...it failed couple weeks later and puked coolant all over the passenger floor again and had to replace it again. Six years and holding.

Doesn't matter how clean you think you got it, you can get it rinsed and dry to a point, but I can tell you it will still be under the carpet. There was still ******* HOAT under the carpet when I pulled it up to replace it back in March [emoji2959][emoji2959]. Had to clean that up real well before putting the sound deadener down.

Well i feel like it's not the heater core itself cause I'm not hearing the coolant inside the box but only seeing and feeling the carpet soaking wet

OP
OP
Ian_Olivas

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
But I'll get ahold of a pressure test kit somewhere if not. I'm just replace the thing and hoses and clamps and call it a day lol. The heater core should be under a lifetime warranty

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
But I'll get ahold of a pressure test kit somewhere if not. I'm just replace the thing and hoses and clamps and call it a day lol. The heater core should be under a lifetime warranty
The pressure test will be your guide. It very well could be a poor clamp seal allowing the pressurized coolant to seep past it and into the cabin.

OP
OP
Ian_Olivas

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
The pressure test will be your guide. It very well could be a poor clamp seal allowing the pressurized coolant to seep past it and into the cabin.
Well I got the cooling system pressure test kit and they didnt have a radiator cap that fit so I used the one that has a gradual step increase in size the farther you push it in. And at first it held pressure but coolant was coming from the pressure test cap. I pulled put the carpet and cleaned up the coolant and tried looking for anything leaking into the can and didnt find anything I shoved my fingers as far back into the bay as possible to feel the hose ends and felt alot water, so I do feel it was coming from the poor clamp. Wheater the water was from the coolant pressure test or the previous coolant leaking from driving. I put the screw on band clamps, cause no ones seems to sell the spring clamps, so I tightened the **** out of the clamp and re-tested the system and this time it didnt hold any pressure at all cause it was all leaking from the kits cap. I'm gonna assume that the clamps being tightened made all the pressure leak go to the cap.

I'm gonna put one seat in and drive it around. And see if I can see coolant leaks into the cab.

OP
OP
Ian_Olivas

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum

Where did you order your replacement carpet from?