Coolant Level Sensor problems in 2017 Dodge RAM 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Omega

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
It would seem that coolant level sensors on 2017 Dodge RAM 2500 truck with 6.7 Cummings diesels are a mystery. Hopefully we can shed some light on the problem. Sensors are very important, but in this case are not at fault. Inside of the coolant tank is a float switch which tells the computer there’s a problem. The sensor is in a plastic sleeve completely sealed from the coolant. The float cylinder with a small metal ring on the inside,is to slide up and down the round stem of the sensor wall. One problem after many years of service the coolant will ********* the plastic to the extent that it will not float as did when new. Replacing the sensor won’t solve the problem. I cut my old one up to find the problem. I removed float cylinder and placed it in water and it went straight to the bottom of the container. Yes, score is Dodge zip coolant container 1. WIth this in mind only replacement of the tank is required to solve the problem. Hopefully Dodge will make the float cylinder out of a more suitable material in the future.

Thanks,
Omega

1st Picture of inside of tank cut open. 2nd picture is the float and the 3rd picture shows that it will not float.
729664CB-294F-4D65-BD0C-F361168ADD1B.jpeg
1AD6AFB8-AD79-4287-8ACA-B4B1ED9EE1D8.jpeg7D30B554-0290-4BFB-A9CA-0D3E76C1E3B9.jpeg

Last edited: