coolant resevoir

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Okie73080

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did a search but nothing relevant returned. How in the world do you get the coolant out of the reservoir. What am I and my son missing?

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Never took a look to see if there is a drain plug, but what ypu can do is drain some out of the radiator so there is air in it, then start the truck and let it get hot once it creates a vacuum it will suck up whats in the reservior and put it into the radiator. But it wont suck it up untill the engine is hot i believe.

Hope this helps

JeffBeck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just drained mine. I took the bolt of of the top that holds it in place. lifted straight up an held it on its side so the reservoir drained into the radiator. make sure you get the tabs on the bottom back into their slots when you put it back.
I have drained and refilled my radiator several times over 4 days so far, I drive it once and run the heat so the new water gets all mixed in with all the old fluid. Then after it is cool....Drain, Fill, Repeat. I am trying to get all the old coolant out before I add fresh. I live in Florida so I don't have to worry about it freezing.
Another good tip-
My Dad told me when draining the radiator and refilling you can get an airlock near the thermostat. Then with no water touching the thermostat it won’t get hot enough to open, and you could over heat the engine. To help prevent this, once you have filled the radiator, massage the top hose a little to force some water down past the thermostat.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
If you just want to get it out of the resv, go pick up a turkey baster and suck it out.

DOAX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
take it off and turn it upside down

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Being that they chenged over the coolent mount ect after 05 its not as easy to pull out as the older ones.... if memory serves me right. They went into the overflow actually being pressurized with the rad cap instead of stand alone correct?

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
Wal-mart sells a siphon pump that would work. It is a long tube with a bulb in the middle. Stick one end in the reservoir and the other end in a bucket and squeeze. Only costs a couple of bucks. Or the turkey baster idea would work the same way...just take a little longer.