Cooling problems after preventive maintenance flush

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DinoT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
appreciate any advice--local mechanic performed coolant flush / changed thermostat. Now truck doesn't get heat, and doesn't cool correctly...keep burping the system but the upper hose has bubbles and losing coolant somewhere--no leak, and oil looks clean. Used OEM premixed Mopar purple, which looks same as what's in it. Changed out the thermostat again, no difference--other than engine temps running way high especially considering it's 10 degrees outside. There were no cooling issues before. 2018 5.7 117k miles.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Possibly air in the system, how to bleed a Hemi cooling system:

Surefire way to eliminate any air in the system is to use a vacuum bleeder. It pulls the air out of the system then sucks the coolant in(this is how it's done on the assembly line).

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
With all due respect the time for dyi info is before you pay someone. Now that you paid money to have a cooling system flush (never a good idea) now you want to dyi? My advice, take it back to the guy who did it and let him have the headache. Modern cooling systems full system flush is like a very demanding thing to do, it is not what most people think it is, and shops botch it too many times to count. if you do a series of rad drains and fills you don't run into this. It may not be perfect, but you don't get this. If you are gonna do it yourself keep filling and burping. You may have a bad thermostat as well, it is a common thing on new thermo's, why you shouldn't do a flush and thermo at the same time. It sounds convenient but it is anything but. Check your oil dipstick, you shouldnt be losing coolant without smelling that sweet smell in the engine bay.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I was a victim of this as well so I'm not judging trust me, on my favorite vehicle ever, those old broncos. Dang shop flushed it and I didnt check their work, 6 months later I see I have been operating with a radiator 1/2 full over flow tank and blackened and dry. When I discovered rmi-25 by the way. Ever since that day, I do all my maintenance, as in every damn thing. Only stuff I cant do does my mechanic see my vehicles.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did my coolant and I burped it. To me it sounds like stated above an air bubble in the system. I would burp it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thoffmann517